Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The city or countryside!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Do you live in Hull?

"Live" is probably too strong a word.

I survive in Hull.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#22 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

My perspective is about the people. Cities are full of feral, anonymous people looking to make a quick buck. They are great places for people to hide.

In the country you can't hide and it makes for a more integrated place particularly regarding age, sexual orientation and colour. Bigots stand out just as much as thieves and it creates more tolerance and good behaviour.

#23 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

Urban or rural? I've lived in both and it has to be the countryside for me.

I need the space for both my mind and body to roam, and I have that in abundance here. I can be out of the village within a couple of minutes and them I've got practically unlimited terrain to explore and exercise in. Farmland, forestry plantations, tracks, footpaths, hills, valleys - space! And the great thing is that it feels as though it is there just for my enjoyment. Although stunningly beautiful in parts, the area around Methven remains unvisited by tourists, and even largely unknown by locals. I could visit one of my 'special places' - a particular spot by the River Almond, the woodland at Keillour, Methven Loch - sit all day and not see another soul.

Cities and towns are fine for some things, but then I've got Perth and Dundee just down the road, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen just a bit further out, so I don't feel as though I'm missing out.

No, give me the open spaces any day.

Heavenly!

I must admit to having a soft spot for Chester and its history. One of my favourite places is Llandudno in North Wales. Roaming about on the Great Orme or relaxing on the South Shore is sheer delight.

#24 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

I live in the sticks and work in the city - best of both worlds. I can hang with the hipsters in the Northern Quarter, then go home and not be intimidated by cows and sheep.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#25 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Heavenly!

I must admit to having a soft spot for Chester and its history. One of my favourite places is Llandudno in North Wales. Roaming about on the Great Orme or relaxing on the South Shore is sheer delight.

When I was a student, my wife and I had a week's holiday in Llandudno. Money was very tight so we spent most of what we had on a B&B (with evening meal included) so at least we were guaranteed food and accommodation. With little spending money we seemed to spend much of our time wandering around the various parts of the Great Orme. It is still the place we make for when we are there.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#26 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

I live in the sticks and work in the city - best of both worlds. I can hang with the hipsters in the Northern Quarter, then go home and not be intimidated by cows and sheep.

Hmmmm. Anything else you want to tell us? :o :ph34r:

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#27 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

When I was a student, my wife and I had a week's holiday in Llandudno. Money was very tight so we spent most of what we had on a B&B (with evening meal included) so at least we were guaranteed food and accommodation. With little spending money we seemed to spend much of our time wandering around the various parts of the Great Orme. It is still the place we make for when we are there.

I was up there on Saturday and it never fails to inspire. The copper mines are worth a visit, if you haven't been down them yet. Heading up the Great Orme from the South Shore, you will eventually see where they tested weapons during the Second World War. Just offshore, a submarine sank after her launch from Liverpool, resulting in many deaths.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 29 October 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#28 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

I was up there on Saturday and it never fails to inspire. The copper mines are worth a visit, if you haven't been down them yet. Heading up the Great Orme from the South Shore, you will eventually see where they tested weapons during the Second World War. Just offshore, a submarine sank after her launch from Liverpool, resulting in many deaths.

Nearly. If it's the sub i know about, it was the Thetis. It sank in Liverpool Bay and washed up at Llandudno. Only one survivor a Leading Stoker Arnold. It was rescued, refitted and relaunched as the Thunderbolt. It was sunk in the Med by an Italian corvair (corvette?). One of my relatives was a mate of L.S. Arnold and applied for the gig on Thetis. Arnold got the job on Thetis, my uncle Fred got the job on Thunderbolt and went down with her.

edit to add: It sank because a fleck of paint covered the outer door locked sensor on one of the torpedo tubes. To show the dignitaries (launch and maiden voyage) how good the sub was, a seaman opened the inner door, believing the outer one was closed. It wasn't. The sub sat nose down, tail sticking out of the water in Liverpool Bay for quite a long time but nobody could get into it and rescue the people.

Edited by tonyXIII, 29 October 2012 - 07:40 PM.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#29 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Nearly. If it's the sub i know about, it was the Thetis. It sank in Liverpool Bay and washed up at Llandudno. Only one survivor a Leading Stoker Arnold. It was rescued, refitted and relaunched as the Thunderbolt. It was sunk in the Med by an Italian corvair (corvette?). One of my relatives was a mate of L.S. Arnold and applied for the gig on Thetis. Arnold got the job on Thetis, my uncle Fred got the job on Thunderbolt and went down with her.

edit to add: It sank because a fleck of paint covered the outer door locked sensor on one of the torpedo tubes. To show the dignitaries (launch and maiden voyage) how good the sub was, a seaman opened the inner door, believing the outer one was closed. It wasn't. The sub sat nose down, tail sticking out of the water in Liverpool Bay for quite a long time but nobody could get into it and rescue the people.

Some pictures (and the story) http://www.cyber-her...thetis/subs.htm

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#30 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Hmmmm. Anything else you want to tell us? :o :ph34r:

No.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#31 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Some pictures (and the story) http://www.cyber-her...thetis/subs.htm

Thanks for that. A sad, sad story. To this day, it seems incredible that they couldn't rescue the people on board.

#32 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Coast.

Since I've been down here I have discovered some really nice quiet beaches & places to hide chill out
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#33 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

Press cuttings in New Brighton fort tell of the sub being over crowded on her launch and sinking off Llandudno! It was still a major disaster at the time wherever it sank.

Some family story, although very sad.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 30 October 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#34 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

Coast.

Since I've been down here I have discovered some really nice quiet beaches & places to hide chill out

Where?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#35 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

we were once on A pub trip to Bridlington to play in the National dominoes/5sand3s final's we were from the Daisy in Bramley,and as we were passing those nice pleasant villages someone said wouldn't it be nice to live in country villages like this.To which most of us nodded agreement,apart from Cooky who said not me there's only one pub in some of these places if I get barred there's no where for me to go
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#36 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

we were once on A pub trip to Bridlington to play in the National dominoes/5sand3s final's we were from the Daisy in Bramley,and as we were passing those nice pleasant villages someone said wouldn't it be nice to live in country villages like this.To which most of us nodded agreement,apart from Cooky who said not me there's only one pub in some of these places if I get barred there's no where for me to go

Went to Bridlington this year but with mixed feelings about the place. That said, the chalk cliffs offered some great walks.

#37 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Double post.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 30 October 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#38 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Went to Bridlington this year but with mixed feelings about the place. That said, the chalk cliffs offered some great walks.

Brid is a hell hole that makes Blackpool look classy.

LUNEW.jpg

#39 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

I know it sounds a very nice idea, but be careful of the "retire to the countryside" idea. It sounds great, but what if you cannot afford to run a car or if you become unable to drive due to a medical condition? You can get very isolated in villages. Small towns on the edge of the countryside are probably a better idea, especially if there are some public transport links. But if you like the city, then it does offer many advantages.

#40 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

Brid is a hell hole that makes Blackpool look classy.

The Old Town around Bridlington Priory is very nice indeed.

Most visitors haven't got a clue it's there.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."