Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The city or countryside!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

"Live" is probably too strong a word.

I survive in Hull.

Brilliantly done mate.

How to take the wind out of somebody's sails.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#42 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

Live in the centre of Swindon, well in an SN1 postcode, but within 5mins walk of the countryside so not too bad.

Want to live within a 5min walk of a good surf break so my order of preferance is

Coast
Countryside
City

Swindon itself is fairly nondescript, but there are some lovely places, small towns and countryside, not too far away.

That's me.  I'm done.

#43 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Although I like visiting cities and what they have to offer, it's the countryside and coast that pulls the heartstrings for me. I do know of people who hate the countryside and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else other than in a city. Some city dwellers have never even seen farm animals apart from on TV.

What's your preference and what attractions do you enjoy?

If it were up to me I'd live miles from the next nearest house. The missus won't have that so we live in a village. A goo compromise.

I tend to work in that London for a few months of the year and I do still enjoy it. These days, I enjoy leaving back to the North more though!

It's a time of life thing. I moved to London in 1998 and spent 8 raucous years there, the first four years living with three blokes from Uni days. It was an amazing time and I'll always look back fondly on it. Some of the escapades and scrapes we got into were a bit near the knuckle...

I'm past that now and happier up in the hills. It's nice to be able to put on your boots and walk out to a spot within an hour or so where there's nothing but wind, rain and your own thoughts.

But I absolutely think everyone should spend their 20s living in a big city. Preferably one far from home.

Speaking of which, I'm off to Sydney again next week. If I were ten years younger, then I think I could live there for a few years pretty happily. I thought seriously about moving there in 2001, but illness put paid to it. Missed the chance now I think.

That's me.  I'm done.

#44 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

Speaking of which, I'm off to Sydney again next week. If I were ten years younger, then I think I could live there for a few years pretty happily. I thought seriously about moving there in 2001, but illness put paid to it. Missed the chance now I think.

Now we ARE talking, Steve. Similarly I didn't take the chance in my 20's and have missed the boat (so to speak). Just come back from my 10th trip over there. At 2 and a half weeks at a time, it's taken me 10 years to live in Sydney for 6 months :lol:

If the opportunity arose, I'd go tomorrow.

As it is, I'm already planning next year's jaunt!

Have a good time.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#45 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

The Old Town around Bridlington Priory is very nice indeed.

Most visitors haven't got a clue it's there.

I agree. The Priory is very interesting.

#46 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

I lived for several years on top of the hill above Ampleforth College. The nearest neigbour was 1/4 of a mile away, and it was about 1.5 miles to the village. Wonderful place, incredible views - we were lent a telescope once, and you could tell the time by the church clock in Pickering (16 miles away) and see the tips of the Humber Bridge towers on a really clear day.

I've lived in London since 1987, though, and wonder how I would re-adapt to the countryside.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#47 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

I lived for several years on top of the hill above Ampleforth College. The nearest neigbour was 1/4 of a mile away, and it was about 1.5 miles to the village. Wonderful place, incredible views - we were lent a telescope once, and you could tell the time by the church clock in Pickering (16 miles away) and see the tips of the Humber Bridge towers on a really clear day.

I've lived in London since 1987, though, and wonder how I would re-adapt to the countryside.

I have the best of both worlds. Living at the top of the village next to farmland, I can see the mountains in North Wales on a clear day. That said, I am close to a library, doctors, dentist, shops and pubs. The M6 is very handy, as well as Wigan and St Helens. Living semi-rural couldn't be better.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 31 October 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#48 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

I have the best of both worlds. Living at the top of the village next to farmland, I can see the mountains in North Wales on a clear day. That said, I am close to a library, doctors, dentist, shops and pubs. The M6 is very handy, as well as Wigan and St Helens. Living semi-rural couldn't be better.

best of both,sounds ok
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#49 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Never lived in the country, but have lived in two large-ish towns and two biggish cities (Manchester and Brussels). Can't imagine not living in a city now, but I guess my tastes will change down the line.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#50 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Just been out in that there countryside on me pushbike. It was so clear you could see Flamborough Head from Weedley with the naked eye. That's a distance of about 30 miles.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#51 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Just been out in that there countryside on me pushbike. It was so clear you could see Flamborough Head from Weedley with the naked eye. That's a distance of about 30 miles.

Whilst walking from Flamborough Head, I came across a lot of poems and writings on boards placed at the side of a path. Seems like generations have had their say!

#52 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

The countryside is great for cycling and walking.

I don't know who in their right mind would want to live there.

#53 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

I like to think I have the best of both worlds. I live in a small village on the Calder Valley hillside, where we have stunning views looking down the valley. Our local is a two minute walk, and serves good food and an excellent range of Tim Taylor's beers. From my house, I can go out walking on the moors or local woods, get on my motorbike and straight out onto great roads or be in the centre of town within 15 mins walk. In town, we have excellent butchers, green grocers, a good selection (if sometimes expensive) selection of independent shops and more good pubs & restaurants. If I want city life, Leeds and Manchester are both under an hour away by train or car. Only downside is the 80 mile round trip to get to home games. B)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#54 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I like to think I have the best of both worlds. I live in a small village on the Calder Valley hillside, where we have stunning views looking down the valley. Our local is a two minute walk, and serves good food and an excellent range of Tim Taylor's beers. From my house, I can go out walking on the moors or local woods, get on my motorbike and straight out onto great roads or be in the centre of town within 15 mins walk. In town, we have excellent butchers, green grocers, a good selection (if sometimes expensive) selection of independent shops and more good pubs & restaurants. If I want city life, Leeds and Manchester are both under an hour away by train or car. Only downside is the 80 mile round trip to get to home games. B)

Going back many years, an elderly gentleman (then in his late seventies/early eighties) from Oldham used to cycle to away matches.

#55 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

An offcumden eh? ;)

They don't take kindly to strangers round there tha knows. :D

#56 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

An offcumden eh? ;)

They don't take kindly to strangers round there tha knows. :D

I know. Good job the wife is a born and bred local then. :lol: She actually went to school with Stuart Fielden as it happens, both the village school and the local high school.

Edited by gazza77, 09 November 2012 - 08:36 AM.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users