Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Big Problems Next Season?

Lack of enthusiasm for Summer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 chinaman

chinaman
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

As this season comes to a close, the well documented lack of players, unavailability week in week out (2nd teams a disaster), great strain on clubs finances with much reduced support . Many players already off to play winter rugby who may or may not want to start next season .
The demise of one of the top teams in the league who may well chuck in the towel as regards the NCL.
Would think it very possible that there may well be other teams dropping out before the start of next season.
Just about every team has commented that they are having problems and not really enjoying the new league and both the crowds and quality of the rugby has reduced.
Perhaps its time for those who cannot see there is a problem to wake up before its too late!

#2 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

Getting the structure in place is more important than standards or any amateur club to the RFL at this moment in time and the fear factor of being locked out and left behind will keep many clubs battling on for now with summer rugby.

Who knows what is around the corner & if next summer season produces the same again in the NCL I reckon the RFL will have one more season after the 2013 to destroy BARLA, it's known that the RFL have started to talk more to leagues such as the Pennine.

Could we see the demise of BARLA being brought on by management committees egos as the RFL encourage a split by telling committees how good they are and offers of running the game at tier4 within Yorkshire?
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#3 mr chairman

mr chairman
  • Coach
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

Nothing to do with summer or winter if you mean Leigh east and they will not be going to winter . They are staying summer with the Ncl despite what they have been through . A committee member told me so today .

#4 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

we all have our own opinions on here but the only true way would to hold a debate where someone neutral chairs the meeting,
the current NCL committee will not let anybody veiw there concerns when summer is brought up, their attitude is well we are summer now so just deal with it

surley they have to at least listen to there members, if the majority are happy to stay summer so be it, why are they afraid to hold the discution!!!.

#5 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Nothing to do with summer or winter if you mean Leigh east and they will not be going to winter . They are staying summer with the Ncl despite what they have been through . A committee member told me so today .

it states in your own program that the players have had a meeting and decided to give summer one more season to see if it improves,

#6 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

we all have our own opinions on here but the only true way would to hold a debate where someone neutral chairs the meeting,
the current NCL committee will not let anybody veiw there concerns when summer is brought up, their attitude is well we are summer now so just deal with it

surley they have to at least listen to there members, if the majority are happy to stay summer so be it, why are they afraid to hold the discution!!!.

Is it still a democracy? Is voting on recommendations a democracy, how many issues still come from the shop floor upwards and how many have come downwards from the RFL?

Only the people in the know will know.

#7 mr chairman

mr chairman
  • Coach
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

it states in your own program that the players have had a meeting and decided to give summer one more season to see if it improves,

Well that's ok and the sensible thing to do . The summer winter was always going to be reviewed because it was new

#8 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

I can only tell you what the feeling is at our club Milford Marlins and that is that the players are 100% behind the switch to summer. yes we know some things need addressing mainly for our reserves and under 18s with lack of games been the main problem. But with regards revenue the crowds have been about the same but with our ground been now fully enclosed gate receipts are up and the bar takings are higher then during the winter months. With us now coming to the end of the season only time will tell if the winter close season will have a big inpact on the financial state of the club. But with all the presentation nights and christmas parties coming up in November and December I doubt it will have any effect at all. January is usually a poor month for takings anyway so I dont see that been a problem and then we are back to preseason training. So whilist I cannot speak for other clubs Summer is not a problem for the Milford Marlins. Also with regards the standard of the Rugby the 1st Division as been a very competitive League and also a very enjoyable one and from what I can see with the teams at are coming down from the premier and up from Division 2 next season will be even better.

#9 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

If the NCL and the RFL DO NOT listen to the concerns with regards to summer then they are fools.
With a few little tweaks here and there summer rugby can be a success and that for me means a little flexibility with regards to holidays weddings etc etc .
Without this flexibility this seasons problems will only be repeated next season.
Its all about keeping an open mind and learning from mistakes when they are made.
And also being able to admit that mistakes may have been made along the way.

#10 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

If the NCL and the RFL DO NOT listen to the concerns with regards to summer then they are fools.
With a few little tweaks here and there summer rugby can be a success and that for me means a little flexibility with regards to holidays weddings etc etc .
Without this flexibility this seasons problems will only be repeated next season.
Its all about keeping an open mind and learning from mistakes when they are made.

I've given this a lot of thought and I can't see how the major stumbling block can be overcome, you can tweak it here and there give more free dates (can't get the fixtures in now in the alloted time) you will never be able to accommodate for the amount of distractions that goes on in the summer and once the guys running the summer game realise the players are only following a hobby the better.

#11 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

a few tweeks here and there is getting a new cooker for the kitchen and fixing the boiler in the showers,
player availability isnt tweeking, you go to any member of your club who is planning on getting married next year and see if they will change there dates to fit in with
a short summer break,( if thats what you mean) and the stag weekend, also speak with the rest of the players and see if they will arrange there family holiday in the same short break, Not to mention all the other distraction,
also a lot of players work in construction and when the schools close for summer this is the busiest time for them and many work on saturdays and long hours

this summer rugby is taking the fun out the game and a lot of players are loosing interest, the reserves teams have taken a massive hit this year by not playing regular,
some first team have struggled to turn a side and all the signs are their it will only get worse.

take a look at the summer regioal leagues and take note how many clubs have failed to complete there season, if someones got the solution to that then please fill
the rest of us in or just be honest and say you dont really care about the bigger picture and you are happy if your club can just feild a first team,

Edited by sbull, 29 October 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#12 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 448 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

The lack of "enthusiasm" does seem to be East of the Pennines, especially with the disjointed nature of reserve team rugby as some league are not aligned. On the Western side, especially in my Club's experience things seem to be a bit rosier

#13 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

The lack of "enthusiasm" does seem to be East of the Pennines, especially with the disjointed nature of reserve team rugby as some league are not aligned. On the Western side, especially in my Club's experience things seem to be a bit rosier

Suppose Blackpools not to far and it's illegal to marry your sister :wub:

#14 Truth Only

Truth Only
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

read something today on a rfl website, that open age registered players are down 27% on last season, exposing youth players to openage before there ready, - discuss

#15 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

I beleive they have been double counting players for years, players in winter and summer teams have been double counted so this is the fall out from it

i dont think players are getting blooded any earlier than before. for me the NCL should only have 12 per division and possibly make the lower 2 leagues be east/west like the football does

the league needs to learn from this and make the changes that suits the game the best

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users