Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

American football

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,906 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

Touchdown is 6 points with usually a virtually guaranteed 1 point conversion to follow. You can have a 2 pt conversion but that's harder to convert.

Three points for a field goal.

Two points for a safety (comparatively rare).

45-7 in NFL is a massacre.

I too find American Football overblown and deadly dull. However, I presume a "safety" means touching the ball dead behind your own line, and it's one rule I'd import into RL - teams take an age for the line drop out - put a time limit on and if it's exceeded award two points to the attackers - defenders still have to drop out from their own line.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#22 Jangling_Jack

Jangling_Jack
  • Coach
  • 433 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

God, I am going senile. It was called The Longest Yard and later remade as The Mean Machine, but the remake was based on soccer rather than American Football.

http://en.wikipedia....ard_(1974_film)

Were you born after 1974?

Don't worry senility hasn't set in quite yet. It was released in this country as "The Mean Machine". "The Longest Yard" was its title in America. The Vinny Jones re-make was called simply "Mean Machine". It was also remade around 2005/2006 with Adam Sandler as "The Longest Yard" as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071771/

Edited by Jangling_Jack, 29 October 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#23 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

Were you born after 1974?

Sure was, grandad.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

I presume a "safety" means touching the ball dead behind your own line, and it's one rule I'd import into RL

Broadly, yes.

It would be a bit harsh to make that a score in rugby!
- Severus, July 2012

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,614 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

meanwhile, on another forum, as 80,000 pay up to £90 each to watch NFL at Wembley, we are discussing if pro-rugby has a future in Oldham. :blink:

#26 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

meanwhile, on another forum, as 80,000 pay up to £90 each to watch NFL at Wembley, we are discussing if pro-rugby has a future in Oldham. :blink:

There is of course no guarantee that even with that attendance at those prices that the NFL made money.

We need someone to come along with a FACT or two to help us out.
- Severus, July 2012

#27 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

I had followed American Football since it was first shown on C4, although the highlights of Superbowls were shown a week late on BBC Grandstand, and when the first regular season NFL match was announced for Wembley, I jumped at the chance to get a ticket.
I have never been so bored in my life. It is definately a game made for TV. I have never tried to get a ticket again.
The only excitement for my long-suffering GF was a streaker just after half time.

Baseball on the other hand is so boring it looks dull even on TV, that is a game made for the Stattos of us
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#28 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

There is of course no guarantee that even with that attendance at those prices that the NFL made money.

We need someone to come along with a FACT or two to help us out.

90,000 paying £90 for a one off match, we will see what happens next year when the NFL plan 2 games in 2013
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#29 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

I too find American Football overblown and deadly dull. However, I presume a "safety" means touching the ball dead behind your own line, and it's one rule I'd import into RL - teams take an age for the line drop out - put a time limit on and if it's exceeded award two points to the attackers - defenders still have to drop out from their own line.

A safety is when you are tackled inside your own in-goal area. I think this is a "rouge" in really ancient rugby.

#30 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

A safety is when you are tackled inside your own in-goal area. I think this is a "rouge" in really ancient rugby.

A rouge - it survives in Canadian football - is more equivalent to a behind in aussie rules.
- Severus, July 2012

#31 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

I have never been so bored in my life. It is definately a game made for TV. I have never tried to get a ticket again.

Baseball on the other hand is so boring it looks dull even on TV, that is a game made for the Stattos of us

I was at Wembley last night and I agree, give me a Challenge Cup Final any time. American Football looks better on TV because they can cover up the tedious waits with replays of the more exciting plays and add some expert analysis. Last night there was no atmosphere to speak of, the only time there was any singing was during the National Anthems and the loudest cheer of the evening was reserved not for any of the (in)action but for Boris Johnson!
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#32 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

I used to like American Football back in the 80s, but I now agree with the "It's boring" brigade. It is a triumph of hype over substance for sure.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#33 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

There is speculation that the NFL is in talks to use the Olympic Stadium as a home for a new London based NFL franchise.
http://uk.eurosport....-095315579.html
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#34 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

they only play 16 games per season?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#35 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

But it's only a 4 month season; September to early January. Then, for the more successful teams, there's the play-offs.

The short season increases the intensity ... a four-game lean spell can effectively end your season in November.

Mind you, this end your season in November phenomenon is also a recurring deja vu reality for Bradford City. ;) B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Yes.

Plus four pre season matches and up to 3 play offs.

For certain players there's a direct correlation between decreased life expectancy and the number of games played.
- Severus, July 2012

#37 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

For certain players there's a direct correlation between decreased life expectancy and the number of games played.

Are the NFL concerned by this? Seems that the use of helmets and pads and the short but high intensity plays means that the players are subjected to some incredible hits.
Fides invicta triumphat

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Are the NFL concerned by this? Seems that the use of helmets and pads and the short but high intensity plays means that the players are subjected to some incredible hits.

There is a massive law suit pending around it. There have been some moves to address the concerns which basically relate to head to head hits & the disregarding of concussion.

This is an extreme article about the issues http://www.sportsone...rticle/37580666
- Severus, July 2012

#39 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

There is a massive law suit pending around it. There have been some moves to address the concerns which basically relate to head to head hits & the disregarding of concussion.

This is an extreme article about the issues http://www.sportsone...rticle/37580666

That is quite a disturbing article. I hope those running our game are aware of this issue and treat any attempt to make contact with a player's head appropriately. RL is a bit different in that we try to avoid contact with the head, whereas in the NFL players often seem to use their own head as a sort of battering ram, driving it into opponents' ribs and trying to dislodge the ball with it. (Or they did when I last watched much American football) We do need to ensure that head contact is kept out of RL as much as possible.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users