Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Welsh WC

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

Having watched yesterdays game and although giving everything they were totally outplayed and afterwards seemed demoralised. It looks ominous for next years WC attendances if this remains the same. Its obvious they have talented youngsters for the future but for the present and for next years WC imo.they need a couple of marquee RU signings. Maybe the nutter Andy Powell who always seemed more suited to our game or even Gavin Henson. Not sure how this could be managed but am sure it would put 1000s on the gate and create mucho PR interest. Seriously think something has to be done or it could lead to another damp squib .At least Powell wouldn,t need to get a taxi home, only a shopping trolley and a motorway!

#2 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

it might put a few extra bums on seats, but thats about it. The Welsh RL would probably be better off spending their time and money educating the current crop of Welsh lads on whats required to play at a higher level rather than wasting it on two old RU players who'd probably need more educating than the current young lads.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#3 sgorpioncaerdyddrob

sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Thats about as likely to happen as me playing on the wing for England in a pink tutu. The team are not dead and buried ,we were missing some key players like Williams and White as well as not being able to call upon much of the Australian contingent who have turned out in the past. The defence needs alot of work but Wales has not suddenyl gone back to the beginning in the space of one game. It just highlights the nature of international rl, the top three are well ahead of the rest at the moment. Wales v Italy next year wiill be a very different matter. Powell and Henson are over the hill now anyway.

The only thing they need to worry about attendance wise is that games in the 'Heartland' are as close to sell outs as they can get.
Cardiff Demons ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc
Cardiff Spartans ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/southcoastspartans

Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth! BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS......!

#4 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

England will probably struggle to break 10,000 for next week's match against France, so I hardly think this is an accurate measuring stick for the WC.

#5 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

In 10 months time everyone will have forgotten about this game. I predict 50,000 plus a Cardiff for the double-header and if Wales win it is all systems go. People have really short memories. A few years ago Wales RU side lost by 96 to SA on their summer tour. Come the following autumn internationals it was all forgotten.

#6 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

Maybe i appeared a little flippant with my suggestions for the Welsh recruitments but i think my point is valid. We should not be considering 50,000 a great turn out, we should be aiming to fill the stadium! Its obvious Wales is a RU stronghold and their players are household names so why not try to utilise any players who are maybe willing to convert. I realise it is a little late in the day for this but i think the local interest and PR would be far higher if only to see if one of " their own" could compete against the best of RL

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

The game's finances are so parlous that: -
- the mighty Bradord Bulls with 10,000+ crowds can effectively go bust and then be bought for £150,000 by the owner of two curry houses
- the owners of the Crusaderas couln't afford to carry on in Superleague
- Salford and Castleford are reportedly struggling

How are we going to sign at least half a dozen Welsh RU players who are already on contracts and earning £70k pa wages?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Not going to happen.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#9 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

England will probably struggle to break 10,000 for next week's match against France, so I hardly think this is an accurate measuring stick for the WC.

Yes, especially as our ground's limited capacity is a shy over 9k ;)

I expect 5k to go.

#10 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

I think there will be a good attendance at Cardiff. It's the opening ceremony, England V Australia is always a good draw and Wales are at home in their national stadium.

The big drawback will be if Wales lose to Italy which will effect the attendances at Neath and Wrexham and the 1/4 final at Wrexham if Wales don't qualify. Italy will have Minicello and many other heritage Aussie/Italians from the NRL so it's a real possibility that Wales will lose.

#11 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

I think there will be a good attendance at Cardiff. It's the opening ceremony, England V Australia is always a good draw and Wales are at home in their national stadium.

The big drawback will be if Wales lose to Italy which will effect the attendances at Neath and Wrexham and the 1/4 final at Wrexham if Wales don't qualify. Italy will have Minicello and many other heritage Aussie/Italians from the NRL so it's a real possibility that Wales will lose.

Good point ref the Italians, a major risk at the WC is countries like Wales who are bringing through homegrown players and have a proper development programme are beaten by a bunch of Aussies pretending to be Italian for 3wks. Feels a bit wrong!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#12 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

Good point ref the Italians, a major risk at the WC is countries like Wales who are bringing through homegrown players and have a proper development programme are beaten by a bunch of Aussies pretending to be Italian for 3wks. Feels a bit wrong!

Perhaps before selection potential players could be asked what is their favourite meal. If they opt for lasagne accompanied with a glass of red wine, then they are in. If they go for barbecued shrimp and a crate of Fosters then they should be told they do not meet the eligibilty rules, bye-bye.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Perhaps before selection potential players could be asked what is their favourite meal. If they opt for lasagne accompanied with a glass of red wine, then they are in. If they go for barbecued shrimp and a crate of Fosters then they should be told they do not meet the eligibilty rules, bye-bye.

That might actually be a tightening up of the current criteria. ;)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users