Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

International waste of time

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

What a waste of time - playing so called inetrnational games between a team full of full time professionals and a team made up of odd bod part timers from all walks of life.

Oh and the pros had been on high altitude training in South Africa - must have cost several times the entire takings from the game and could have probably helped pay off Wakefield, Bradford and salford's debts.

All those years of expansion into Wales, and all the money that has gone with it, and this is what's been produced.

Long overdue that explicit criteria are set to judge the success or otherwise of these expansion policies so they can be scrapped if they dont achieve the objectives they set out to achieve.

#2 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

Totally agree.
We should bring back the GB side who play meaningful test macthes against Aus, NZ, France and PNG, then have the 4 home nations playing each other as a separate tournament where the players are playing for a GB shirt !
Simple !!!!!!
Lewis and Wood have destroyed the image of International Rugby League.

Posted Image

#3 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

I actually fell asleep during the game on Saturday, it was a non-event and if the coach got anything out of it, it is just that he can expect 10 times better or more opposition in the World Cup.

For goodness sake the Welsh side had CC1 players in it! They can't hope to compete with SL players, even without the high altitude training. What's that all about??

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#4 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

Couldn`t agree more and I`ve been saying it for a long time now,these end of season meaningless "Internationals" are a complete waste of time and money,but no doubt insisted upon by television.The switch to summer rugby effectively finished off the popular Australian and Kiwi tours,as it has for Great Britain touring Down Under,so all we have now are these games that really insult your intelligence. Nobody`s interested,the fans or the players,so it`s time they were consigned to the bin,though no doubt the likes of Steve McNamara and a few hangers on would fiercely disagree.

#5 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

So the opinion is that we should get rid of these 'so called' internationals as meaningless and boring.

If you ask the players opinions I think you will get a very different reaction as I'm sure they are very proud to wear their respective international shirts. No doubt the cynics will say 'Well they did have a nice holiday in South Africa'.

Now if memory serves me well, apart from the money, one of the reasons that players move to the other code from our sport is the lack of international games..Mmm??
RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#6 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

If England can make the World Final next year and beat the Aussies at a sold out Old Trafford, it may ressurect the International game.If its a New Zealand Australia final at a half full stadium it would be disastrous. At least Lockyer won't be playing.And it won't be at the Elland Road graveyard.

#7 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

I honestly don't think even the players are happy about the Internationals that just involve players improving their tries to game ratio. England learned nothing from that game and it will show when they meet some decent sides in the World Cup.

I would love England to feature in the final of the tournament but I doubt it will come about! I may be wrong O4E but would you back them?

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#8 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Cameron,we all know,the only reason why players change codes is for the money,end of story. All sport now is effectively run by and for television,"He who pays the piper,etc". The next World Cup is twelve months away,so games like these could hardly be called important build up matches and probably half those players who took part,won`t even get a game next year. Pride in the shirt? Yeah,I guess so,but I`m sure it`ll mean a lot more when the players take the field in 2013,the results actually meaning something.

#9 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Cameron,we all know,the only reason why players change codes is for the money,end of story. All sport now is effectively run by and for television,"He who pays the piper,etc". The next World Cup is twelve months away,so games like these could hardly be called important build up matches and probably half those players who took part,won`t even get a game next year. Pride in the shirt? Yeah,I guess so,but I`m sure it`ll mean a lot more when the players take the field in 2013,the results actually meaning something.

The money is a very big part, no question but as was pointed out in a poll I put on here players also get much more exposure in the media. If a player moves to Union and makes the grade and gets into the International he will also get his name known nationally and even internationally!

Obviously, some never really make the grade, Iestyn Harris for one and sooner or later they come running back to league for a final payoff before they retire. I'm not claiming to follow Union but I've heard little about Kyle Eastmond maybe he will make the return journey soon?

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#10 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

Just booked two tickets for the final at a cost of 14 pounds for the two great value to watch international rugby league
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#11 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

The money is a very big part, no question but as was pointed out in a poll I put on here players also get much more exposure in the media. If a player moves to Union and makes the grade and gets into the International he will also get his name known nationally and even internationally!

Obviously, some never really make the grade, Iestyn Harris for one and sooner or later they come running back to league for a final payoff before they retire. I'm not claiming to follow Union but I've heard little about Kyle Eastmond maybe he will make the return journey soon?

Pugwash.

I think the Iestyn Harris comments a bit way off.. Top try scorer for Cardiff 2 seasons out of 3. Played in a World Cup & Five Nations campaign for Wales and transferred back to RL for a world record fee that surely contributed to Bradfords current trouble, doubt anyone comes back to RL for a payoff, the sports on its ######!
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#12 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Fair dos mate, I was going off what I heard about Harris and from the small amount of time I actually saw any play, but he didn't linger with them did he?

To be frank, Union bores the pants off me, there are too many players who spend too much time scrabbling around in a heap only to end up in another heap 5 yards laterally seconds later for my liking. I know some people enjoy the game and they are entitled, they must see more than I can. I must admit though that on occasions I've seen the late night highliughts and some club sides play some decent stuff, the only problem it's League they're playing with 15 men!! Running, passing, swerving and not just booting the ball up the field and back again.

The point is that players who take to the Union game will make more money and get more publicity than they ever could in League.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#13 Robthegardener.

Robthegardener.
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Just booked two tickets for the final at a cost of 14 pounds for the two great value to watch international rugby league

Is that at Old Trafford Boro Hornet???
Posted ImageVelcome to ze forum...You must obay ze rules

#14 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

no at Salford in just over a week got 2for old trafford RLWC final cost a lot more
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#15 Robthegardener.

Robthegardener.
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

no at Salford in just over a week got 2for old trafford RLWC final cost a lot more

Are you of Littleborough descent pal?I know of a Hornet who frequents the All Trades club!!!

#16 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

I am from littleborough but don't go in the trades still a few of us hornets about just need to get them to matches

#17 Robthegardener.

Robthegardener.
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

I am from littleborough but don't go in the trades still a few of us hornets about just need to get them to matches

:)