Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Josh Charnley

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

I see Josh Charnley is now on the books at James Grant Management.

Given their past record with League players it will be interesting to see if this is because they see untapped potential in representing League players, or another player they are pushing into the Union ranks.

I would say it is the latter unfortunately. Hope to be proven wrong

#2 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

Whatever you think about the agency, you can't deny they've increased Sam Tomkin's profile.

#3 Chariots

Chariots
  • Coach
  • 530 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Andi Peters again is well involved here

On twitter saying he supports WIgan
Check out Josh and Zac on you tube, very funny

#4 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

Iirc Josh has just signed a revamped long term contract, so nothing to lose sleep over.
For all these young stars, if we make a good fist of the World cup, so that they genuinely believe they are part of a vibrant sport, then we stand a great chance of keeping them.

#5 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

Iirc Josh has just signed a revamped long term contract, so nothing to lose sleep over.
For all these young stars, if we make a good fist of the World cup, so that they genuinely believe they are part of a vibrant sport, then we stand a great chance of keeping them.

The majority of SL departees don't go to union though and I think we're in danger of forgetting the major destination for our top players:Australia. The Aussie clubs seem to be well monied up at the moment, and certainly from a Bradford perspective, I think they pose the biggest danger to our game.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#6 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

The majority of SL departees don't go to union though and I think we're in danger of forgetting the major destination for our top players:Australia. The Aussie clubs seem to be well monied up at the moment, and certainly from a Bradford perspective, I think they pose the biggest danger to our game.

Which high profile backs have gone to the NRL?
Which high profile backs are likely to go to the NRL?
Good quality forwards will go there and mostly be successful and they may be targetted but not that many will be on NRL Club shopping lists. The biggest danger is the inability to develop players of quality and very good NRL players coming to SL.

#7 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

The biggest threat to "our game" is mismanagement and apathy.

The better forwards go to the NRL because they don't have the union option so that's the only viable alternative.

The backs take the union shilling for the money but also for the chance to play on a bigger international stage.

If rugby league doesn't figure out a way - if there is one - to give players a bigger platform than playing in front of a couple of thousand people at a non league football ground then I don't see things changing.

#8 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

If the top English players go to the NRL, This will lead to England beating the Australians on a regular basis and will increase the profile again here which will in turn bring more money in. So a short term dip in quality, which will hardly be noticed is a price worth paying for international success and an increased profile of the game.

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

If the top English players go to the NRL, This will lead to England beating the Australians on a regular basis and will increase the profile again here which will in turn bring more money in. So a short term dip in quality, which will hardly be noticed is a price worth paying for international success and an increased profile of the game.

well said!

#10 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

This as it stands at the moment.
I do think that when the new NRL TV money reaches player's salaries the NRL clubs will be after some top Union players.
Also top Union player's agents will be seeking the best money deals for their clients.
New Zealand is an obvious source but we could see perhaps some South African union players going to the NRL.
Could well be that French Union will still be number one salary wise with perhaps the NRL pushing them close as number two for highly paid players.

#11 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

By that logic New Zealand would be dominating the sport at international level and France would regularly be beating England/GB. England are actually further behind Australia than they were in 2003. If the better players go to the NRL they may improve but but the England coaching staff would have much less access to those players and would not be so well integrated into the England elite squad. In addition to that the Australian players would potentially be playing against those players on a weekly basis.

#12 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Good luck to him, I feel that RL players should be on a minimum of £75,000 a year with 10% held back as a pension. In an ideal world it would be £100k minimum but there is just not that sort of money in the game, yet!

#13 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

By that logic New Zealand would be dominating the sport at international level...

They're the RLWC holders and won the Four Nations in 2010. They proved the Aussies are fallible. ;)
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,792 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

By that logic New Zealand would be dominating the sport at international level

I don't get how you've come to that logic?
Surely from what he's saying, the logic would be that NZ can regularly compete and beat Australia, which they do. I don't understand how you can say they'd "dominate"?

and France would regularly be beating England/GB.

There aren't enough French players playing full time yet for that to happen.

England are actually further behind Australia than they were in 2003.

I think we're just as far away, personally.

If the better players go to the NRL they may improve but but the England coaching staff would have much less access to those players and would not be so well integrated into the England elite squad.

Unless there are enough English players in the NRL for the coaches to hold sessions down there?

In addition to that the Australian players would potentially be playing against those players on a weekly basis.

That works both ways. In fact, I'd say it's more an advantage to us that we're playing them on a regular basis as we're the ones that appear to be like rabbits caught in headlights, not them. This will prepare us better.
Posted Image

#15 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,792 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

This as it stands at the moment.
I do think that when the new NRL TV money reaches player's salaries the NRL clubs will be after some top Union players.

Thinking about it, the NRL TV deal could also force Sky to improve their TV deal with SL as they may want to keep these stars in our game instead of letting them all go to union.

Also top Union player's agents will be seeking the best money deals for their clients.
New Zealand is an obvious source but we could see perhaps some South African union players going to the NRL.

Weird thought, but if all the NRL teams signed two South African union players each, we'd have a squad of 32 SARL players and a pretty competitive international side to add to the international calendar! Doubt you could tempt anywhere near that many, but just a thought...

Posted Image

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,989 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

Are we as far away from Australia than in 2002 after the mid season thrashing? At that point many Aussies had or were about to give up on the international game. Luckily Wayne Bennett disagreed.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

the England coaching staff would have much less access to those players

They hardly train together and play together very much as it is.

#18 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Thinking about it, the NRL TV deal could also force Sky to improve their TV deal with SL as they may want to keep these stars in our game instead of letting them all go to union.

It could also have the opposite effect! A devalued SL comp with most of the stars drained to the NRL or union would cost them less and probably still get similar viewing figures. Even if they did improve the sky deal as you suggest the smaller clubs who currently don't spend up to the full cap would block a move to increase the cap. The cap needs increasing and modifying. It HAS to be inflation linked at the very least. In real terms the cap has dropped since it was introduced by nearly a third.... and some clubs still can't pay up to it! If you were told that your maximum salary wouldn't increase with inflation over the next 10 years you'd be right to look for work elsewhere, where it would.

Personally I'd also put the 50% rule back on the cap (players wage have to make up no more than 50% of the clubs turn over wasn't it?) and raise the cap for the next few years a bit above inflation so we don't have a runaway effect and all clubs should be able to keep up given notice.

If the rumours about Hock going to the eels are true, I feel the player drain is really starting to hit super league. If the cap was designed to level the playing field, the only way the field would be levelled was if Hock/Charnley et al moved to another SL club.

#19 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

A big problem RL has is that it can't attract large sponsors which in turn effects the revenue in the game as well as the image. The cap needs unceasing and should be more like £2.5m however there are influential people in the game (Gary Hetherington) who wants to reduce it maintain his profit share.

#20 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

Mark I think we need to figure out better ways of marketing the game, especially as we come towards the end of the recession (OK we're more likely to stagnate for a while as an economy but hopefully we'll avoid any more contractions). That would hopefully stand us in good stead for when things start getting better and companies start spending again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users