Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League World - Tell us what you think

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Posted Image

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - ISSUE 380 (DEC 2012) - OUT FRI NOV 2.

Even if you rarely visit the cinema, you can hardly fail to notice that Bond is back! And so is our cover star Gareth Ellis, back from down under to aid England’s cause in the Autumn Internationals before heading to Hull FC for the 2013 Super League season. We talk to the Brit who made it in the NRL about why he’s chosen to return home.

England prepared for their games against Wales and France with a 10-day training camp in South Africa, and you can read Jamie Jones-Buchanan’s exclusive diary inside. It’s a case of the lion, the pitch and the stormcloud!

From the opposing sides, Iestyn Harris talks to Dave Hadfield about his efforts to build a credible Welsh side for next year’s World Cup and Jason Baitieri explains why he loves playing for France, the country of his birth.

Back on the domestic scene, the second part of our review of the Super League season covers the clubs that made it into the top 8, including League Leaders Wigan Warriors, Grand Final runners up Warrington Wolves and eventual Champions Leeds Rhinos.

A sudden rush of formal link-ups between Super League and Championship clubs has been causing alarm amongst some supporters, despite the soothing tones of official press releases. We investigate the reasons for the link ups and who really stands to benefit.

Another contentious issue this year has been the switch of the amateur season from winter to summer. We assess the impact of the change with those most affected by it. Staying on the amateur scene, we pay a visit to Castleford Lock Lane ARLFC to find out the secret of their success from coach Martin Rowse.

As Gloucestershire University All Golds prepare to enter Championship One next season, we put Student Rugby League in the spotlight and with the countdown to the World Cup well and truly underway, Robbie Hunter-Paul gauges interest in the tournament with our readers on the twittersphere. We also focus on the preparations being made by the Cook Islands.

It is almost sixty years since the very first World Cup final and we are proud to be able to bring you an interview with one of the players responsible for securing Great Britain’s triumph in that inaugural tournament in 1954.

There’s lots more inside plus the chance to win a signed England shirt!

On sale and online from Friday 2nd November - Order a copy here

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

I may be a bit slow on this one but did you know that Rory Kinnear, who plays the MI6 Chief of Staff in "Skyfall", is the grandson of Roy Kinnear who played for Wigan and GB at RL and Scotland at RU in the 1930s?

(and the son of the late actor Roy Kinnear)
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#3 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

I may be a bit slow on this one but did you know that Rory Kinnear, who plays the MI6 Chief of Staff in "Skyfall", is the grandson of Roy Kinnear who played for Wigan and GB at RL and Scotland at RU in the 1930s?

(and the son of the late actor Roy Kinnear)

I didn't know that!

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#4 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Online edition is available right now for ipads and other such funky devices, plus clunky old PCs and Macs as well.
http://www.pocketmag...by League World

Subscriber copies should be landing on doormats today or tomorrow, and it'll be in shops on Friday.

Tell us what you think!

(runs and hides...)

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#5 fcl

fcl
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thank you to Margaret for her article, I ordered a copy for my records.
I hope this article on the weekend magic to the french sauce French will help your readers to understand about the situation of the rugby league in France
And with this week's international matches between our two countries, show that we need each other to make our sport stronger
www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

#6 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,344 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

My issue arrived on Monday and it's been a very good read so far.

Highlights:
The first of what I hope will be many articles on the SL/Championship linkups. Very important issue.
A good piece on the Barla switch to summer. Some order to the confusion. More updates please.
Some good international bits, mascord was good this month. NZ piece also. (despite the huge white blanks on the page)
Interesting stuff on the Gloucs Uni team, if not that much hard facts. More to come on the other newbies?
Cook Islands: The start of the world cup build up?
JJB in Africa quite entertaining.
That interview with the bloke from Lock lane. The kind of RL person you rarely hear from.
Thoughtful stuff from JD on the international scene.
I even thought Margaret R was ok this month (Can a RL club be disseminated?)

Lowlights:

Random league, just too random. It's a question of personal taste, but hide it at the back of the mag.
Robbie Paul. I like the bloke, but his column just doesn't work.
Not sure why we have those fitness pages there.

All round, a strong issue well worth the four quid it cost me.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#7 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

My issue arrived on Monday and it's been a very good read so far.

Highlights:
The first of what I hope will be many articles on the SL/Championship linkups. Very important issue.
A good piece on the Barla switch to summer. Some order to the confusion. More updates please.
Some good international bits, mascord was good this month. NZ piece also. (despite the huge white blanks on the page)
Interesting stuff on the Gloucs Uni team, if not that much hard facts. More to come on the other newbies?
Cook Islands: The start of the world cup build up?
JJB in Africa quite entertaining.
That interview with the bloke from Lock lane. The kind of RL person you rarely hear from.
Thoughtful stuff from JD on the international scene.
I even thought Margaret R was ok this month (Can a RL club be disseminated?)

Lowlights:

Random league, just too random. It's a question of personal taste, but hide it at the back of the mag.
Robbie Paul. I like the bloke, but his column just doesn't work.
Not sure why we have those fitness pages there.

All round, a strong issue well worth the four quid it cost me.

Ta for the feedback. I hope you're not the only person who bought it! :o

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#8 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Small point, but am I the only one who finds the grass images at the bottom of the Grass Roots section makes it difficult to read the last couple of lines of text? Perhaps it's just my eyesight, but I do find myself straining to read it.

#9 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Thought the piece on Matt King was fab!!!

#10 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

The best edition I've seen in while IMO

#11 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Small point, but am I the only one who finds the grass images at the bottom of the Grass Roots section makes it difficult to read the last couple of lines of text? Perhaps it's just my eyesight, but I do find myself straining to read it.

Yes, that causes me difficulties as well.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#12 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

the movember edition arrived in good time yet again - all in all a good read with some good interviews and articles

enjoyed the Margaret Ratcliffe view of the french game and her summing up of new president Carlos' ambitions were spot on

the one thing which really baffles me is the Jason Baitieri piece - now I know Jason reasonably well and I can't imagine he would come out with such a radical rule change which would allow one forward pass per set !!! Was he serious ? surely not !

#13 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 749 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

True, I'm afraid! :o

#14 tw15

tw15
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Always like the international articles - enjoyed the Cook Islands one.
Agree Robbie H-P's article needs developing - does sometimes feel like a cut and paste of tweets.
JJB's articles are consistently strong.
Also agree the fitness articles are for a niche audience.

I've gone back to the paper version. The iPad versions suffers like a lot of magazines in being just a copy of the printed version. The look and feel needs to be different to work on tablets.

Still think it would benefit from a "new to Rugby League" series of articles, explaining the positions, defence strategies etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users