Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Fiji Talent Search

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Joey Johns and Brad Fittler are in Fiji, looking for Rugby League talent.

LINK TO ARTICLE

I hope it's just for the NRL and not for the Kangaroos.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

This article has a bit more of an explanation from Fittler and Johns:-

http://www.news.com....l-1226504538033

Not surprising to read that they suggested this to the powers that be who weren't interested.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

This article has a bit more of an explanation from Fittler and Johns:-

http://www.news.com....l-1226504538033

Not surprising to read that they suggested this to the powers that be who weren't interested.

Not surprising at all. :(

The bit about Konrad Hurrell suggests that Freddie's not thinking about Fiji only, which is encouraging.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

As someone who has been to Fiji it amazes me that the NRL scouts have not set up permanent camp there. I watched a couple of games of League and one Union and was impressed with the skill, athelitisism and enthusiasm of the locals.

In the resort I stayed at they showed an NRL match one day and all the staff crowded around a small set to watch. They told me that League was the preferred code in Fiji but most young lads played Union as the IRB have set up pathways for players to be linked to professional clubs. Apparantly nothing similar is in place for RL and young lads have to pretty much pay their own air fair to Australia and hope they get spotted. As Fiji is a relatively poor country very few are able or willing to do this.

With the massive new TV deal hopefully the ARLC will ring fence funds to develop the local leagues in not only Fiji, but Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands and PNG. It can only help them and the international game in the long term.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#5 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

As someone who has been to Fiji it amazes me that the NRL scouts have not set up permanent camp there. I watched a couple of games of League and one Union and was impressed with the skill, athelitisism and enthusiasm of the locals.

In the resort I stayed at they showed an NRL match one day and all the staff crowded around a small set to watch. They told me that League was the preferred code in Fiji but most young lads played Union as the IRB have set up pathways for players to be linked to professional clubs. Apparantly nothing similar is in place for RL and young lads have to pretty much pay their own air fair to Australia and hope they get spotted. As Fiji is a relatively poor country very few are able or willing to do this.

With the massive new TV deal hopefully the ARLC will ring fence funds to develop the local leagues in not only Fiji, but Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands and PNG. It can only help them and the international game in the long term.

I couldn't agree more. I doubt it will happen, but the potential to make massive inroads for relatively little expense is huge in all the places you mentioned. If the ARLC set aside a few million for each of those islands and set up proper links with NRL clubs, they could clean up most of the talent until other codes tried it as well.
I dont think they are that altruistic unfortunately.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#6 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

I couldn't agree more. I doubt it will happen, but the potential to make massive inroads for relatively little expense is huge in all the places you mentioned. If the ARLC set aside a few million for each of those islands and set up proper links with NRL clubs, they could clean up most of the talent until other codes tried it as well.
I dont think they are that altruistic unfortunately.

The ARL has specifically said that their $200M growth fund will be used in the South Pacific.

All Fiji really needs is a RL Academy in Suva with NRL branding all over it and run by the ARL. Get AusAid to tip in some money, get stars to do clinics, play exhibition games or trials, etc.

Strangely the people talk about RL as if it's a new game. Despite this everyone has an NRL team and Origin side. Lots of potential, especially since RU is in such a mess over there that the players don't get paid (the RL players are paid)...

Edited by kioli, 07 November 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#7 Pacific RL

Pacific RL
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

Are you sure about that?

Edited by Pacific RL, 01 December 2012 - 03:41 AM.

#8 Pacific RL

Pacific RL
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

The ARL has specifically said that their $200M growth fund will be used in the South Pacific.

All Fiji really needs is a RL Academy in Suva with NRL branding all over it and run by the ARL. Get AusAid to tip in some money, get stars to do clinics, play exhibition games or trials, etc.

Strangely the people talk about RL as if it's a new game. Despite this everyone has an NRL team and Origin side. Lots of potential, especially since RU is in such a mess over there that the players don't get paid (the RL players are paid)...

Thats is not the case here in Fiji. Its very much amateur at all level.

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

One to watch next season? - "He's like T-Rex [Canterbury's Tony Williams] but he's faster"

Edited by Futtocks, 03 December 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#10 Pacific RL

Pacific RL
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

One to watch next season? - "He's like T-Rex [Canterbury's Tony Williams] but he's faster"

I can see his future already. Will represent Fiji at the 2013 RLWC then origin for NSW in 2014 and Australia in 2015.

Edited by Pacific RL, 03 December 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#11 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

I can his future already. Will represent Fiji at the 2013 RLWC then origin for NSW in 2014 and Australia in 2015.

If only you were joking... :(

#12 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

I can see his future already. Will represent Fiji at the 2013 RLWC then origin for NSW in 2014 and Australia in 2015.

Why would this happen?

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Penrith sign Fijian hotel porter sight unseen on recommendation of Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns.

#14 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Why would this happen?

Because it can happen?

rldfsignature.jpg

#15 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 712 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

Because it can happen?

Not anymore. Now you have to be NSW/Qld resident before you are 13 years old. Potentially one of the biggest (and best) decisions to have been made in recent years.
www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

#16 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

Not anymore. Now you have to be NSW/Qld resident before you are 13 years old. Potentially one of the biggest (and best) decisions to have been made in recent years.

That's an Origin rule. Nothing to do with international rules. There's still nothing to stop Australia selecting the porter after three years in the NRL if they so desired.

rldfsignature.jpg

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Cronulla sign a Fijian speedster.

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Penrith sign Fijian hotel porter sight unseen on recommendation of Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns.

More on this story - note the following: "Incredibly, Fittler and Johns were forced to foot all costs for their Fijian trip after the NRL showed "zero interest" in the project." :rolleyes:

#19 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

They told me that League was the preferred code

Are you sure that isn't Papua New Guinea you're talking about? Because according to Wikipedia (despite the fact the articles can actually be chopped and changed at any given time) said that league was the preferred code there
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#20 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 712 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

That's an Origin rule. Nothing to do with international rules. There's still nothing to stop Australia selecting the porter after three years in the NRL if they so desired.

It's SOO that has been the baited hook for representing Australia (financially and in terms of profile). Now that it's gone I suspect many of the PI/NZ players in the NRL will be available for their country of birth/ancestry.
www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users