Fiji Talent Search

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

It's SOO that has been the baited hook for representing Australia (financially and in terms of profile). Now that it's gone I suspect many of the PI/NZ players in the NRL will be available for their country of birth/ancestry.

But there's still nothing to stop Australia selecting the porter after three seasons in the NRL if they so desired though is there? The same would apply to the likes of Tamou. They may not play Origin but they can still play for Australia.

rldfsignature.jpg

#22 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 762 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

But there's still nothing to stop Australia selecting the porter after three seasons in the NRL if they so desired though is there? The same would apply to the likes of Tamou. They may not play Origin but they can still play for Australia.

Tamou would have never signed up as an Australian player if the SOO jersey wasn't available to him - that's the issue that has existed previously. Selection on residency is a minor issue in comparison as far as I'm concerned. In addition I would find if highly unlikely that the Australian selectors would choose a "foreign" player ahead of those in the SOO squads - it would invite ridicule and devalue the SOO concept (which has always been the one thing the Aussies have refused to do in the past.....now that attitude will be of benefit to International RL rather than a hindrance).
www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

#23 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

You can't say for certain that Tamou would have chosen New Zealand over Australia. There have been several players chosen for the Kangaroos in the last few years before they had played Origin so it's status as a Test trial has been dimished.

rldfsignature.jpg

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,569 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Cronulla sign a Fijian speedster.

A bit more information - this guy was a member of the Fijian RU Sevens team. And it also mentions NRL clubs signing Sakeo Railoa, Semi Radradra and Tui Kamikamica.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

How many Fijians does that make playing in the NRL and are they all wingers?

#26 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 762 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

You can't say for certain that Tamou would have chosen New Zealand over Australia. There have been several players chosen for the Kangaroos in the last few years before they had played Origin so it's status as a Test trial has been dimished.

That's not quite true.....they had signed up for Australia (as it is a condition of being available for SOO) and the Aussie jersey happened to come first. This was the case for Tamou iirc.

It was crystal clear that it was the lure of the NSW cap (and cash) that made Tamou sign for Australia. The entire sage was played out for weeks and the various interviews made it clear that it was a NSW jersey being weighed against an NZ cap. Not a good look for the game in my opinion. The current ruling would not let allow it to happen. I accept that he could still play for Australia but without SOO as a sweetener I am 100% sure he would currently be a NZ international.
www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

#27 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Like I said, you can't say that for certain.

rldfsignature.jpg

#28 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

I thought union was the preferred code in Fiji, but the way they play the game they look much more suited to league- they have an outstanding 7s side, but are poor at 15 a side. They all seem to be natural runners and athletes. If you want to expand RL, the Pacific islands would be a pretty good place to go- Samoans are more than a little bit useful too

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,569 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

I thought union was the preferred code in Fiji, but the way they play the game they look much more suited to league- they have an outstanding 7s side, but are poor at 15 a side. They all seem to be natural runners and athletes. If you want to expand RL, the Pacific islands would be a pretty good place to go- Samoans are more than a little bit useful too

Rugby Union is the established code in Fiji, but there have been links with Rugby League ever since Rochdale signed a couple of players in the early Sixties. Since then, there have been some very notable players either of Fijian birth or parentage who have graced the game.

It does seem that a more concerted effort is being made these days, which is long overdue. The latest being North Queensland Cowboys, who have recently sent a delegation, looking to set up links with their Nausori namesakes and the local schools.

It's a matter of getting the people who matter to show the willingness to get into and maintain contact with the people who matter in Fiji, Samoa, Tonga etc. and that's something that hasn't always been the case.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#30 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Rugby Union is the established code in Fiji, but there have been links with Rugby League ever since Rochdale signed a couple of players in the early Sixties. Since then, there have been some very notable players either of Fijian birth or parentage who have graced the game.

It does seem that a more concerted effort is being made these days, which is long overdue. The latest being North Queensland Cowboys, who have recently sent a delegation, looking to set up links with their Nausori namesakes and the local schools.

It's a matter of getting the people who matter to show the willingness to get into and maintain contact with the people who matter in Fiji, Samoa, Tonga etc. and that's something that hasn't always been the case.

I know people always say that the NRL should be behind development in the Southern Hemisphere, but really it should be the RLIF or the local equivalent of RLEF getting into Fiji and the likes.

Which leads me to ask, whatever happened to the Asia-Pacific Rugby League Federation? Weren't they supposed to have been set up to drive devlopment across this region? All we ever hear about is piecemeal efforts by individuals or clubs.

#31 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

I know people always say that the NRL should be behind development in the Southern Hemisphere, but really it should be the RLIF or the local equivalent of RLEF getting into Fiji and the likes.

Which leads me to ask, whatever happened to the Asia-Pacific Rugby League Federation? Weren't they supposed to have been set up to drive devlopment across this region? All we ever hear about is piecemeal efforts by individuals or clubs.

Being the operative word.

rldfsignature.jpg

#32 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,569 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Maybe the only way to get anything done is for the clubs to do it in the process of furthering their own interests.

To be honest, given the potential talent in the Polynesian and Melanesian islands, this should have been started years ago, like when Noa Nadruku's talent hinted at what might be available if Fiji was nurtured as a source of talent.

#33 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Maybe the only way to get anything done is for the clubs to do it in the process of furthering their own interests.

To be honest, given the potential talent in the Polynesian and Melanesian islands, this should have been started years ago, like when Noa Nadruku's talent hinted at what might be available if Fiji was nurtured as a source of talent.

I wouldn't suggest that clubs shouldn't be doing anything, because anything that furthers the development of RL anywhere should rightly be applauded, but we've seen so many times before where clubs have announced partnerships or devlopments with overseas organisations to nurture talent, but after a while the club will lose interest through lack of time, money and presumably patience. We've seen this happen numerous times in both hemispheres.

And to be fair to the clubs themselves, I don't think we should be expecting them to drive development in new areas. Governing bodies should be doing it. And as you suggest, the likes of Fiji aren't new to RL, and that's what makes it all the more frustrating that the game in the souhern hemisphere, despite all its riches, still can't get some sort of proper development programme going in the one region of the world where we could be virtually guaranteed a good level of success and a good return for our money. No development programme in place and there's still no proper international calendar in place for the Pacific Island sides outside of World Cups.

Meanwhile, all the RLIF appear to have done recently is follow the NZRL and the NRL in banning shoulder charges. All I could find out about the Asia-Pacific Federation was that they're based in Auckland and they had a meeting in December 2011. Very productive.

#34 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Titans show Fiji interest

NATIONAL Rugby League (NRL) club Gold Coast Titans has shown interest in recruiting Fijian youngsters and turning them into stars in the NRL competition.

The club has shown interest in investing in the sport in Lautoka.

In a letter written to Mesake Navugona, the manager of the Lautoka Crushers club, Titans general manager Scott Clark said they were aiming to open a recruitment pathway opportunities for young Fijians to their club.

"The region we would like to focus on and foster a relationship with is the Lautoka region," Clarke said.

"We believe this is a region rich in young talent and an area that could benefit from the professional programs that we can put in place," he said.

Titans commitment will involve provision of playing jerseys, shorts, socks and training and coaching equipment.

Also selected Titans coaching, development and recruitment staff will travel to Fiji twice a year to assist with coaching camps, talent scout and attend rugby league carnivals focusing on players from 15 to 18 years of age.

The club will also provide expert tuition for coaches, establish relationships with main league/union schools in the region as well as provide assistance with education and welfare programs and explore the possibility of a pre-season trial game in Fiji.

In return, Lautoka's commitments will involve their staff assisting with camps, clinics and recruitment and naming any rugby league they run will be named in conjunction with Gold Coast Titans.

Also the Titans will have the primary opportunity to recruit from the region.

Fiji National Rugby League general manager Tomi Finau confirmed receiving the letter and said they were interested in the opportunity.

He said Fijian talent was in huge demand and the Titans would become the second club after North Queensland Cowboys to initiate such a partnership.

"We welcome any expression of interest from NRL clubs as it gives us an opportunity to strengthen our relationships with them," Finau said.

"Not only can we learn about the sport from them but we can also learn about the administration of rugby league from them," he said.

He said they would properly go through the letter once again and have a good discussion before they make any decisions.

"This is something that is in the best interest for the players in Fiji and we are definitely interested in holding further talks with them (Titans)," Finau said.

http://www.fijitimes.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users