Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

calls for new two tier SL set up.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Apparently Calls are being made by some in the SL circles for a two tier league structure with two leagues of ten being formed with promotion and relegation re-introduced. Meetings are due to take place in november to discuss the league structure. Hmmmmm not sure what to make of that idea.

#2 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

fax sheffield leigh fev and prob a couple of french teams would make the numbers up dont think cumbrian teams have a chance of getting n if it happens

#3 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Aye all 3 cumbrian teams would miss out im afraid

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#4 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

I'm guessing the bottom 4 in SL would join the top 6 in the championship to form SL 2. I think one other idea on the cards is to just reduce the size of SL. I think that might just form an unofficial SL 2 anyway.

#5 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

It's been on the cards for a few seasons, but is the move more to do with Sky reducing the Super League contract when it's next up for negotiation? I can't imagine that the RFL would be looking into this idea unless there was an ulterior motive somewhere?

#6 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

There has been a lot of talk about reducing SL to 10 clubs over the past 2 or 3 years but of course not every SL club was happy with that as 4 would lose out on the financial advantage. The next thing was to do away with Under 18 and Under 20 teams and just have an Under 20 team and link with Championship clubs to save SL clubs each £100,000 per season. Now two SL divisions would mean scaling down the amounts each club gets from Sky with the pot being divided between 20 clubs. This is also probably a sop to get round the P & R issue between the two divisions but there would still be no P & R between SL2 and the Championships. I get the feeling that this is another SL idea that wont get off the drawing board as I can't see a majority of SL clubs taking a cut in their income when several are struggling financially.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#7 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

There has been a lot of talk about reducing SL to 10 clubs over the past 2 or 3 years but of course not every SL club was happy with that as 4 would lose out on the financial advantage. The next thing was to do away with Under 18 and Under 20 teams and just have an Under 20 team and link with Championship clubs to save SL clubs each £100,000 per season. Now two SL divisions would mean scaling down the amounts each club gets from Sky with the pot being divided between 20 clubs. This is also probably a sop to get round the P & R issue between the two divisions but there would still be no P & R between SL2 and the Championships. I get the feeling that this is another SL idea that wont get off the drawing board as I can't see a majority of SL clubs taking a cut in their income when several are struggling financially.

What i think will happen is the 10 SL would still get the 1.2 mill they get and the other 10 would share the 4.8 mill the other 4 SL teams get now so around 480k each

#8 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

What i think will happen is the 10 SL would still get the 1.2 mill they get and the other 10 would share the 4.8 mill the other 4 SL teams get now so around 480k each

So basically you think that SL will drop 4 clubs and those four will then have to share the money they get from Sky with 6 other clubs. I can't see that happening, donald!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#9 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

might have no choice keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users