Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Griffin says Scott Prince will not be guaranteed a starting spot in 2013

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

BRISBANE Broncos have confirmed the signing of former Gold Coast skipper Scott Prince on a two-year contract, ensuring the 32-year-old halfback will end his NRL career in Queensland.

Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin was adamant Prince, who was released from the last year of his contract with the Gold Coast, wouldn't get a rails run into the Broncos run-on team.

"I'm happy with the guys we've got here. He (Prince) wanted that challenge. I wouldn't have replaced anyone we've got here for him," he said.

"It will make the competition healthier and will make them fight harder for their spots. Wherever anyone ends up I think we'll be a stronger football team and that's the only reason I made the decision.

"(To get a start) Scott will have to be better than the guys we've got here."

Peter Wallace is the Broncos current no.7 while Corey Norman played most of the 2012 season at five-eighth.

Link

http://www.courierma...x-1226507376079

#2 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Seems like an odd move for all given the money it has allegedly cost the Broncos. Good luck to the lad, but realistically he may end up with a bit part role like Finch at the Storm.

Unlucky for Hull - I would have liked to have seen him in the UK, and the change could have pepped him up a bit too.

#3 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

I guess its been done before but he certainly set up the Titans.

SCOTT Prince has a new play up his sleeve: the show and go.
Just when the Titans thought he was washed up, the wily old halfback pulled off a stunning exit strategy to land himself at a traditional NRL powerhouse.
Everyone thought he was headed to British Super League club Hull, but instead the 32-year-old orchestrated a two-year deal with the Brisbane Broncos that left the Gold Coast Titans slightly red-faced that they had agreed to partly fund his 2013 salary.
"We did chat about it, are we OK with him going to another NRL club? And I did say what if it's the Broncos and everyone said 'it's not the Broncos'," Titans chief executive David May admitted yesterday.
"I don't think it really makes much difference which club it is when it's in the NRL."

The Titans maintain they wanted Prince to stay at the club for 2013, but by paying him to play up the road next year it's hard to argue otherwise and the club is left to find a cheap halfback solution elsewhere.
May said they only agreed to pay Prince in 2013 as a gesture of goodwill for six years service so he and his family could remain in Australia.

http://www.courierma...x-1226507831282

Edited by AndyCapp, 31 October 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#4 humpy

humpy
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

Seems like an odd move for all given the money it has allegedly cost the Broncos. Good luck to the lad, but realistically he may end up with a bit part role like Finch at the Storm.

Unlucky for Hull - I would have liked to have seen him in the UK, and the change could have pepped him up a bit too.

Its not costing Brisbane much at all, Titans are still paying him 200k wages next year while Broncos will have to pay him the remaining 80-100k, they have a great deal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users