Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hurricane Sandy

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

This sort of thing makes all our moaning about the weather in the UK look a bit trivial.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20150748

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,008 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

Sam Burgess is in NY at the moment. Been tweeting about it. I heard the hurricane ran away from him!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,076 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

In that case, we should have sent my ma-in-law, too! However, she was preparing for Halloween.

#4 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

This sort of thing makes all our moaning about the weather in the UK look a bit trivial.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20150748

Oh, I dunno. I think we have had some pretty severe flooding over the last decade. Remember that village in Cornwall? The one in which the river tore houses away and took cars end over end through the village? Or the floods in Northern Ireland one year when their subway was flooded to the same degree as the NYC one has been (ie up to the subway roof, creating a lake along the entry road). There has been so much flooding in the UK during the last decade that I'm sure there are many instances where the water destruction has been as obvious and awful as it has been in NY/NJ. We just haven't had it happening in a major city which has lots of wooden buildings located its outskirts.

The worst of it in NYC IMO was when the generator exploded and set a fire storm going. That was truly horrific. From reports I get the impression that the area had been evacuated. If so, well done to the mayor and those promoting the evacuation.

Edited by Saintslass, 31 October 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#6 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

The swell created by Sandy is due to reach our shores next Thursday/Friday. I hope to catch a few good waves.

The loss of life from Sandy is terrible but one of my first reactions on news of a hurricane is to check the surf report. My priorities are probably a bit off but I do love surfing.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#7 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

We got away quite lightly in Philadelphia region,tre's blown down etc.Mainly due to us being quite a distance from the coast
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,935 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

the loss of life, injury and damage already caused in the carribean by this hurricane, seems to have attracted less attention for some reason. 60+ people lost their lives.

That is not to minimise the effect this disaster is having on the people of the US of course.

The most sophisticated, advanced and one of the largest city in the world and a vast hinterland surrounding it being brought to a halt in this way and the consequences of it make us realise how little power the human race has over nature.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#9 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Oh, I dunno. I think we have had some pretty severe flooding over the last decade. Remember that village in Cornwall? The one in which the river tore houses away and took cars end over end through the village? Or the floods in Northern Ireland one year when their subway was flooded to the same degree as the NYC one has been (ie up to the subway roof, creating a lake along the entry road). There has been so much flooding in the UK during the last decade that I'm sure there are many instances where the water destruction has been as obvious and awful as it has been in NY/NJ. We just haven't had it happening in a major city which has lots of wooden buildings located its outskirts.

The worst of it in NYC IMO was when the generator exploded and set a fire storm going. That was truly horrific. From reports I get the impression that the area had been evacuated. If so, well done to the mayor and those promoting the evacuation.

Indeed, we have had our share of flooding. I remember the huge downpour in Llandudno some years back which left a terrible mess. Some people were still living in temporary housing two years on.

#10 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

Indeed, we have had our share of flooding. I remember the huge downpour in Llandudno some years back which left a terrible mess. Some people were still living in temporary housing two years on.

Yep. And almost every town in Cumbria has been flooded over the last couple of years. Wasn't it Workington where one of the bridges was washed away and they were pretty much cut off? That was last year. And Cockermouth, when the river turned into a torrent of water through the streets. Where was it that the side of a house was shown on TV collapsing and being washed away? That was in Cumbria I think. And then was it in Wales this year where the caravan parks were flooded and people had to be winched to safety as they were located among hills. And what about that weird event, I can't remember where it was. Maybe that was Wales too. I think it was as a result of that two full days of rain we experienced. A torrent of water came down from the hills surrounding the village, washed through all the homes and then disappeared down the hill leaving wreckage in its wake.

I've lost count of the destruction we have endured over the last few years with floods and storms. Flash floods, that two days of rain, rivers bursting their banks. What about that storm which whipped up so much foam from the sea off I think it was Scotland (but it might have been the north east) that the buildings looked like they had been covered in snow? That was this year too.

I don't think our complaints about the weather look at all trivial, the more I think about it! All the floods and storms we have had of late have kind of merged into one, there have been so many. And not without loss of life either.

Edited by Saintslass, 31 October 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

We've had nothing to compare to the damage caused by a hurricane and it's embarrassing to try and pretend otherwise.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

parts of new jersey had 295mm of rain from this storm alone, we had 366mm in the wettest summer since 1912.
HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#13 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

We've had nothing to compare to the damage caused by a hurricane and it's embarrassing to try and pretend otherwise.

Nobody is pretending anything. The OP suggested that superstorm Sandy (it wasn't a hurricane by the time it hit land in the US) made our complaints about our weather look trivial by comparison. I argued that point. I don't think it does.

#14 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

Has Sandy continued up the coast towards Canada?

#15 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,871 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Nobody is pretending anything. The OP suggested that superstorm Sandy (it wasn't a hurricane by the time it hit land in the US) made our complaints about our weather look trivial by comparison. I argued that point. I don't think it does.

You're kidding surely. 60 dead in the Caribbean, 32 in the US. No weather that we have can compare to this.
Fides invicta triumphat

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,076 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

on the evening of the 31st Jan, 1953, In England, 307 people were killed in Lincs, Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. 19 were killed in Scotland.

see http://www.open.edu/.../the-flood-1953

see http://www.britishpa...nshire-flooding

#17 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

Has Sandy continued up the coast towards Canada?

Yes
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#18 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

In terms of natural disasters we do tend to get away with it lightly (not diminishing any deaths of loss of property).

In the USA the East coast has hurricanes, west coast earthquakes and volcano's, real droughts in the south (dustbowl) and real (metres deep) snow in the north.

The UK by it's position tends to avoid the worst of the weather and is geologically stable.

Disasters seen round the world show how lucky we are. (19000 dead in Japan, Huricanes in USA, etc).

How many people ever think about having 72hrs of food and water stored like is commonplace in some countries?
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#19 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,871 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

on the evening of the 31st Jan, 1953, In England, 307 people were killed in Lincs, Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. 19 were killed in Scotland.

see http://www.open.edu/.../the-flood-1953

see http://www.britishpa...nshire-flooding

Would the death tolls be similar today?

It is a little poor taste to compare death tolls to make a point (I'm obviously guilty of this). The UK has never experienced weather like hurricane Sandy.
Fides invicta triumphat

#20 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

It's not about comparing hurricane Sandy to what we experience, more to do with the fact we do suffer from some awful flooding that goes beyond moaning about the weather. A policeman died as a result of the bridge collapsing in Cumbria. Whether it is one death or forty, it's sad for the bereaved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users