Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hurricane Sandy

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Would the death tolls be similar today?

It is a little poor taste to compare death tolls to make a point (I'm obviously guilty of this). The UK has never experienced weather like hurricane Sandy.

I don't think anyone is seriously making such a comparison. The UK does experience " natural disasters" but not with anywhere near the intensity or frequency of those that affect the US.

#22 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

I don't think anyone is seriously making such a comparison. The UK does experience " natural disasters" but not with anywhere near the intensity or frequency of those that affect the US.

We're not even close.

And I'm pretty glad of that.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#23 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,780 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

It's not just Hurricane Sandy though. Over 1,800 people died from the effects of Hurricane Katrina, and these huge storms ravage the Caribbean every year, with varying levels of damage. Then, further inland, they have to live with tornadoes.

Our weather is only occasionally life-threatening.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#24 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Indeed, we have had our share of flooding. I remember the huge downpour in Llandudno some years back which left a terrible mess. Some people were still living in temporary housing two years on.

Surely temporary housing, however rudimentary, would be preferable to a life in Llandudno. :ph34r:
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#25 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Surely temporary housing, however rudimentary, would be preferable to a life in Llandudno. :ph34r:

As town's go, it's full of interest and beauty.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#26 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

L'Angelo's point was spot on. If the hurricane had died a death or changed course after devastating large parts of the Caribbean, we wouldn't have heard of it unless some British tourists were caught up in it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#27 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

These hurricanes are caused by homosexuals instead of climate change according to one religious fruitloop in the US.
Fides invicta triumphat

#28 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

L'Angelo's point was spot on. If the hurricane had died a death or changed course after devastating large parts of the Caribbean, we wouldn't have heard of it unless some British tourists were caught up in it.

This is entirely true.

But then an equivalent number of poor hicks in places like Alabama have already been killed by tornadoes this year and we haven't heard about them.

About the same number were killed in a crash in Pakistan on the same day too.

You'll also note the British news is focusing almost exclusively on New York City which is mostly intact - rather than the duller bits which aren't.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#29 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

As North Wales towns go, and to a Lancastrian, it's full of interest and beauty.

Edited for accuracy. ;) :D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#30 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

It's not about comparing hurricane Sandy to what we experience, more to do with the fact we do suffer from some awful flooding that goes beyond moaning about the weather.

Exactly right.

Our weather has been extreme during the last decade. What it hasn't been, is extreme on a massive scale and/or directly affecting a massively dense population base. Imagine some of the localised storms that have affected different parts of the UK at different times hitting London, which they never seem to do, and the impact would likely be a lot more extensive than is seen in the smaller communities where, by the very nature of their size, result in fewer fatalities and a lower impact.

I would also dispute that we haven't had a storm like the one just experienced. The Great Storm of 1987 springs immediately to mind of course.18 were killed plus others Injured and masses of trees felled with plenty of other destruction. There was also one of similar ferocity in 1990 I think it was. But generally our storms are localised and so not as dramatic as the big systems that float over the Caribbean and USA every year.

However, they are often extremely descructive. For example, I don't think http://www.telegraph...sh-Britain.html looks at all trivial, and it was only a few weeks ago.

Edited by Saintslass, 01 November 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

the thing about the 1953 East coast UK flood that killed so many in Lincs ( and there are still people round here who lost friend and relatives ) and in the Netherlands was the total lack of awareness and preparation. 9% of the Netherlands was underwater. There has been a huge investment in sea defences and we now get text and automatic phone calls of flood alerts that must be acknowledged or they keep coming - .there was one just a couple of weeks ago. ASll new bungaloews must have escape hatches too, so peole can get out onto the roof if they need rescuing.

With Sandy, there was plenty of advanced warning, lots of evacuations yet it still caught so many people out. Tragic.

Edited by JohnM, 01 November 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#32 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

the thing about the 1953 East coast UK flood that killed so many in Lincs ( and there are still people round here who lost friend and relatives ) and in the Netherlands was the total lack of awareness and preparation. 9% of the Netherlands was underwater. There has been a huge investment in sea defences and we now get text and automatic phone calls of flood alerts that must be acknowledged or they keep coming - .there was one just a couple of weeks ago. ASll new bungaloews must have escape hatches too, so peole can get out onto the roof if they need rescuing.

With Sandy, there was plenty of advanced warning, lots of evacuations yet it still caught so many people out. Tragic.

Some people decided to stay put against advice, meaning they had to be rescued. Watching a documentary about the 1953 tragedy, it highlighted the fact that communication in those days from one village/town to the next wasn't what we have today, so catching people out. There was much bravery evident in the documentary, including people sacrificing their own life to save others.

#33 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Blimey, reading this thread I'm convinced that some forum members could start an argument in an empty room. :unsure:

I only started the thread because I was actually quite surprised no one else had remarked on such a major new story.

Wish I hadn't bothered now.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#34 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

TBF John I don't think there has been an argument on this thread. A bit of disagreement but no one has overstepped the mark.
Fides invicta triumphat

#35 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

Blimey, reading this thread I'm convinced that some forum members could start an argument in an empty room. :unsure:

I only started the thread because I was actually quite surprised no one else had remarked on such a major new story.

Wish I hadn't bothered now.

Chill John! :D I cannot see any fistfights, just looking at it from different points of view.

#36 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Chill John! :D I cannot see any fistfights

Yes, and here's another thing, just where is Harry Hill when you need him.
:)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users