Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

your top ten

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

I'm bored senseless without my rugby fix
Who are your top ten players you've seen play for Swinton?
Danny Wilson
Les Holiday
Martin Lee
Derek Bate
Wayne English
Ian Watson
Scott Ranson
Paul Mellor
Simon Ashcroft
John Allen

These players lasted with us and gave us seasons of service ... a few others gave us moments of brilliance
Richard henare
Jimmy veikoso
George Mann
Alva Drummond
Kel earl
John clough
Terry Scott
Tex Evans

Any others ?

#2 MALCOLM WHO ?

MALCOLM WHO ?
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Mark Reily
Mark Welsby
Wayne English
Chris Osullivan
Joe Ropati
Phil Wood
Gary Ainsworth
Lee Paterson
Danny Wilson
Shane Tupuea (or how ever you spell it)

We always sign the wrong brother.

#3 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

For me ......... my boyhood hero was Kevin Whittle............

#4 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

In fact going through the list on this post - we've had some good players at the club haven't we.....

#5 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Kel Earl.

#6 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Bored too, Patriots have the weekend off!
I would start with Gowers, Stopford, Buckley, Fleet, Speed, right on through the rest of the 62-63 champions!
Posted Image

#7 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

Tony Peters
Kevin oloughlin
Ratty
Jeff Brown
Green Vigo

#8 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Les Holliday number 1 by far, after that its a "selection headache".

The club has certainly had some great Kiwis, would be nice to get those days back. Joe Grima a.k.a. enforcer in chief, Roby Muller the greatest bargain buy of all time, Mike Kuiti, Shane Tupaea, Logan Edwards, Paddy Tuimavave, Mark Riley, George Mann.

Other players I'm surprised have not been mentioned are Tony Morrison, Mark Shealds, Andy Coley, Tim Street, Tommy Frodsham, Andy Pucill, Garry Ainsworth, Sean Casey, Paul Topping.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#9 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

Bored too, Patriots have the weekend off!
I would start with Gowers, Stopford, Buckley, Fleet, Speed, right on through the rest of the 62-63 champions!

Being from much the same generation as 'lionsfanusa' my top ten would follow much the same lines.

My TOP TEN Lions (in no particular order) who I saw play for the club are...

Ken Gowers, Alan Buckley, John Stopford, Graham Williams, Albert Blan, Dave Robinson, Barry Simpson, Bob Fleet, Ken Halliwell and George Parkinson.

But any number of at least another dozen or so would also be well worth their places in the above.

What a wonderful privilege to spend much of your youth on the terraces of Station Road during the 1960s.

#10 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Dave Robinson.
Billy "Daz"Davies
Derek Clarke,
Les Holiday.
Danny Wilson.
George Parkinson.
Albert Blan.
Ken Gowers.
Alan Buckley.
Johnny Stopford.

Sub: Dick Evans.
Grahame Williams.
Bill Holiday.

#11 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

I'm sorry foryou young un's with some of the choices you have had to make. A lot of them second raters . Now lets get down to the nitty gritty and look at some real ledgends. KEN GOWERS, finest player ever to wear the number 1 shirt for Swinton, a Great Britain international. JOHNNY STOPFORD fantastic winger, like grease lightening, could beat a player on a sixpence,aGreat Britain international. ALAN BUCKLEY fab. centre very fast, very strong, great tackler and a wingers centre. a Great Britain inter national. DAVE ROBINSON brilliant loose forward could create gaps for fun,had the speed of a threequarter, aGreat Britain international.GEORGY PARKINSON my favourite stand off in my life time, hard as nails even the opposition forwards were scared of him, had to be the finest stand off never to win a cap. BILLY DAZ DAVIS replaced Parkinson as a 16 year old. Lived up to his name as the dazzler could split open a defence from nothing, aGreat Britain international. BILL HOLIDAY signed from HULL KR .Great loose forward with a tactical brain to match. A Great Britain international. GRAHAM WILLIAMS a great scrum half with a fantastic turn of pace, more than a match for Alex Murphy on his day . Emigrated to Australia and played for Manly. Tragically killed over there in a motor bike accident. ALBERT BLAN the captain of the great LIONS team .fab. player fab tactition who made the team tick. Finally DANNY WILSON a great player who could have been even better only for his wayward ways. So there you are sorry to you younger end the did'nt see the best , but who knows there might come a time in the future when you will have great players to cheer on, lets all keep our fingers crossed that this happens.

#12 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Les Holliday number 1 by far, after that its a "selection headache".

The club has certainly had some great Kiwis, would be nice to get those days back. Joe Grima a.k.a. enforcer in chief, Roby Muller the greatest bargain buy of all time, Mike Kuiti, Shane Tupaea, Logan Edwards, Paddy Tuimavave, Mark Riley, George Mann.

Other players I'm surprised have not been mentioned are Tony Morrison, Mark Shealds, Andy Coley, Tim Street, Tommy Frodsham, Andy Pucill, Garry Ainsworth, Sean Casey, Paul Topping.

Sean Casey will be delighted ...I'll let him know. Good call Phil
God knows how I forgot mark riley and tommy Frodsham

#13 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

I'm sorry foryou young un's with some of the choices you have had to make. A lot of them second raters . Now lets get down to the nitty gritty and look at some real ledgends. KEN GOWERS, finest player ever to wear the number 1 shirt for Swinton, a Great Britain international. JOHNNY STOPFORD fantastic winger, like grease lightening, could beat a player on a sixpence,aGreat Britain international. ALAN BUCKLEY fab. centre very fast, very strong, great tackler and a wingers centre. a Great Britain inter national. DAVE ROBINSON brilliant loose forward could create gaps for fun,had the speed of a threequarter, aGreat Britain international.GEORGY PARKINSON my favourite stand off in my life time, hard as nails even the opposition forwards were scared of him, had to be the finest stand off never to win a cap. BILLY DAZ DAVIS replaced Parkinson as a 16 year old. Lived up to his name as the dazzler could split open a defence from nothing, aGreat Britain international. BILL HOLIDAY signed from HULL KR .Great loose forward with a tactical brain to match. A Great Britain international. GRAHAM WILLIAMS a great scrum half with a fantastic turn of pace, more than a match for Alex Murphy on his day . Emigrated to Australia and played for Manly. Tragically killed over there in a motor bike accident. ALBERT BLAN the captain of the great LIONS team .fab. player fab tactition who made the team tick. Finally DANNY WILSON a great player who could have been even better only for his wayward ways. So there you are sorry to you younger end the did'nt see the best , but who knows there might come a time in the future when you will have great players to cheer on, lets all keep our fingers crossed that this happens.

I'm 43! I tell my dad how lucky he is regularly to have seen the 60s men.
My grandad had the honour to see the pre war greats too.
I'm sure us young uns enjoy our memories just as much though

#14 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

I will add Joe Grima to my list.

#15 MALCOLM WHO ?

MALCOLM WHO ?
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

Rob Whittaker

We always sign the wrong brother.

#16 Mark

Mark
  • Coach
  • 5,156 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

1. Rob Whittaker

​The rest don't matter after that!!!
"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

Posted Image

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

#17 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Brilliant selection, can't disagree with anything there but as previously stated the older we are the greater selection span - I always remember my dad telling me how great the 27/28 team were and that Martin Hodgson was the greatest player he had seen not to mention Billo Rees, Bryn Evans etc etc but even my dad did then acknowledge how great that team of 62/63 were.The stars of that team were not only outstanding players for the lions but also stars of rugby league as can be seen in the selection for Lancashire against Australia on 29 September 1963 when Gowers,Buckley,Stopford and Graham Williams played and then 2 weeks later in the Great Britain team against Australia at Swinton when Gowers,Stopford and Ron Morgan played.

#18 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Brilliant selection, can't disagree with anything there but as previously stated the older we are the greater selection span - I always remember my dad telling me how great the 27/28 team were and that Martin Hodgson was the greatest player he had seen not to mention Billo Rees, Bryn Evans etc etc but even my dad did then acknowledge how great that team of 62/63 were.The stars of that team were not only outstanding players for the lions but also stars of rugby league as can be seen in the selection for Lancashire against Australia on 29 September 1963 when Gowers,Buckley,Stopford and Graham Williams played and then 2 weeks later in the Great Britain team against Australia at Swinton when Gowers,Stopford and Ron Morgan played.

Posted Image

#19 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Sorry about that, clicked on the wrong button!

My Dad never stopped telling me how the likes of Martin Hodgson would play the 60s squad off the park!

As for memorable matches, while the Cup replay v Wigan is way up there, the 2-2 draw with the Aussie touring team goes down as the most nail-biting, especially as Albert Blan missed a penalty fairly close in with minutes left. A Titanic struggle!
Posted Image

#20 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Well, I can't name the greats of the 60's, but my dad would have Stopford as his number 1!

Here's my list (all very recent, and very biased)

Wayne English
Simon Ashcroft
Ian Watson
Lee Patterson
Phil Wood
Steve Gartland
Chris Hough (Mainly for causing the pitch invasion of 2006)
Ian Mort (The best goal-kicker i've seen in a Swinton shirt)
Andy Coley
Sean Casey