Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2013 'retro' kit replicas

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Oh! Wouldn't it be really super-dupa if the 2013 replica jerseys were totally true to the originals worn by those great Lions in seasons 1962-63 & 1963-64.

Little things like a 'proper' collar for a change and maybe 'proper' long sleeves too. 'Long sleeves'?
Some of you are thinking, "why long ones, it's summer rugby now?". Yes, but rugby union play in winter and they also have short sleeves (unless they wear a colour matching T shirt as well). They don't need to be the keep-the-cold-wind-out thickness like in the past. The same material would be just fine.

And a much reduced quantity of 'polluting' badges and silly stripes here and silly stripes there, and any amount of the other annoying 'clutter' the so-called kit designers ruin their products with.

I know what you're thinking. "You're living in the past". Well maybe I am just a bit, BUT I challenge anybody who can't go along with my way of thinking when I firmly state that playing strips of this century are completely 'bobbins' when put alongside the kit players were PROUD to turn out in the game more than two decades ago. I can distinctly remember one Lion from the '60s clearly saying how he loved the change strip of all white with the blue V as it "looked like the GB strip".
Look closely at some teams' jerseys out there. They look no better than any run-of-the-mill grotty T-shirts found on sale in somewhere like Primark. The design of the current England jersey is enough to make you vomit.
I honestly dare you, cast your mind back, whether you're old enough or not and see which YOU prefer. Look at team photos from the past. There is simply NO comparison - is there?

Rant over!!!

#2 LiondressedasRam

LiondressedasRam
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm with you- Hoping for a return to a 'classic' design. I'd settle for almost anything pre-Ellgren (91-92).

I'm too young for the Champ winning team - my personal Lions favourite is the Australia style double vee of the Prem winning team.

#3 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Oh! Wouldn't it be really super-dupa if the 2013 replica jerseys were totally true to the originals worn by those great Lions in seasons 1962-63 & 1963-64.

Little things like a 'proper' collar for a change and maybe 'proper' long sleeves too. 'Long sleeves'?
Some of you are thinking, "why long ones, it's summer rugby now?". Yes, but rugby union play in winter and they also have short sleeves (unless they wear a colour matching T shirt as well). They don't need to be the keep-the-cold-wind-out thickness like in the past. The same material would be just fine.

And a much reduced quantity of 'polluting' badges and silly stripes here and silly stripes there, and any amount of the other annoying 'clutter' the so-called kit designers ruin their products with.

I know what you're thinking. "You're living in the past". Well maybe I am just a bit, BUT I challenge anybody who can't go along with my way of thinking when I firmly state that playing strips of this century are completely 'bobbins' when put alongside the kit players were PROUD to turn out in the game more than two decades ago. I can distinctly remember one Lion from the '60s clearly saying how he loved the change strip of all white with the blue V as it "looked like the GB strip".
Look closely at some teams' jerseys out there. They look no better than any run-of-the-mill grotty T-shirts found on sale in somewhere like Primark. The design of the current England jersey is enough to make you vomit.
I honestly dare you, cast your mind back, whether you're old enough or not and see which YOU prefer. Look at team photos from the past. There is simply NO comparison - is there?

Rant over!!!

That was a rant Blue Monkey but totally agree with you, just placed my order for the retro shirt - hope I look like Graham (in my profile picture) but doubt it.

#4 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

That was a rant Blue Monkey but totally agree with you, just placed my order for the retro shirt - hope I look like Graham (in my profile picture) but doubt it.

Yes, Graham 'Willie' Williams was probably the most underrated scrum half of his era with his devastating burst of speed ripping holes in opposing defences. Small in stature but huge in ability and heart.

#5 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

If the club are reading this, perhaps it would be a good idea if pictures of the 2013 jerseys could be displayed on the club's website so that we can whet our appetites, so to speak.
Fans could then see exactly what they would be getting for their dosh.

#6 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Yes, and we also play during an English "Summer", if you remember the opening games this year there was a couple of inches of snow around, & on the odd days when there is sun around, long sleeves protect against sunburn :unsure:
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#7 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

"Look at team photos from the past. There is simply NO comparison - is there?"

May I suggest you take a look at the teams' attire in the footage from the Leeds v Widnes Challenge Cup semi final at Station Road from 1982 which has been made available by "Mark Richardson" (Thanks Mark) under the topic title "I'm sure plenty of us were at this"

Real rugby league wear when jerseys were PROPER jerseys, not the RUBBISH they are forced to wear today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users