Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Prime Minister welcomes RL World Cup 2013 trophy to Number 10

RLWC2013 media release

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

Rugby League World Cup 2013 completed one of the more challenging legs of the current trophy tour today, Wednesday October 31st2012. The famous trophy first visited the Prime Minister, David Cameron at 10 Downing Street and was then
taken straight to the First Minister of Wales, Carwyn Jones in Cardiff.

Steve McNamara and Iestyn Harris, the coaches of the two RLWC2013 host nations accompanied the trophy to Downing Street and spoke to Mr Cameron about their ambitions for the tournament. They were joined by Welsh players Ben Flowers and Lloyd White and by England's Eorl Crabtree and Dan Sarginson of England Knights.

The Prime Minister also heard about the growth of Rugby League in the capital from young Brixton Bulls players.

After the visit to Downing Street the trophy was packed safely away for rapid transit to the Senedd, the home of the Welsh Assembly.

RLWC2013 Tournament General Manager Sally Bolton said: "Tickets for the tournament went on sale last Friday and there has been a fantastic response so far, we have already sold 50,000 tickets and we need to keep that momentum
going. Our trophy really brings the tournament alive for people and creates massive interest wherever it is so this tour is really important for us.

"It's great that the government and the Welsh Assembly have recognised and given endorsement to the fact that RLWC2013 is the next international sporting event in the UK after the Olympics, so today's dual visit was really important.

"The semi-final double header at Wembley Stadium in London and the opening celebration and games at The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff are two of our biggest events so it is important to maintain levels of interest in both cities.
Both are selling really well but the Rugby League World Cup final at Old Trafford is still outselling all other games by five to one, so my message to fans is if you want to be at the final, get your tickets now."

-ends-

Martin Johnston
RLWC2013 Communications Manager

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Wonder if he's ever seen a game?

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#3 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Eton Wall Game will probably be the closest.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#4 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

He wouldn't have to go far. There's a school in his rural Oxfordshire constituency that plays the game and has raised a few eyebrows locally. He's also got Championship One rugby on his doorstep next year. Maybe he could get his old Bullingdon Club pals together for a trip to Iffley Road next season. They could always smash up the Cape of Good Hope and moon at passing cars on Magdalen Bridge afterwards. Just like old times.

Edited by Jonty, 01 November 2012 - 10:57 PM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#5 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

Apparently Mr Cameron was a hooker, but he has just been tackled by big Eorl.
http://www.telegraph...rugby-days.html

Edited by flyingking, 02 November 2012 - 02:17 AM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#6 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 635 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

Apparently Mr Cameron was a hooker, but he has just been tackled by big Eorl.
http://www.telegraph...rugby-days.html

Interestingly this article doesn't make it on to the Sport page!

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

I know they are using a couple of agencies to help promote and sell the RLWC, but things do just appear to be a step up from previous RL campaigns. Things like this appear very well thought out, and get a fair bit of profile.

I really hope the time and effort is rewarded with high ticket sales.

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

This is really good work by the World Cup team. To get an article like that in the Telegraph gets the message of the World Cup out to a new audience. Not in the sports pages, and to your average league audience.

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I don't think the importance of this World Cup can be over-stated.

This is a brilliant opportunity to attract a new set of fans. As a sport we have a decent nucleus of hardcore fans who will buy season tickets, attend the weekly rounds and attend the two big finals.
What we don't have is an 'event' crowd. Rugby Union and other sports absolutely have this, and as is shown by the huge sections of empty seats in the Club Wembley sections on Cup Final day, we just don't attract general sporting fans at the level that other sports do.
If the organisers can fill the Millenium Stadium, Wembley and Old Trafford, then this will be a massive success, irrespective of what happens at the other grounds, and to do that they will need to tap into the wider sporting public.
The RFL have traditionally targeted existing customers for our events (mainly I suspect because this is a hell of a lot more cost-efficient), whereas there does appear to be a real shift and effort to attract new fans, which could be a massive boost to the game longer term.

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Talksport have an advert - 50% of Tickets less than £20 - Buy your tickets for Next Rugbly League World Cup

After hearing all the ###### about Football (recent issues) Its great to hear "OUR" sport being advertised on the Radio.

#11 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

I don't think the importance of this World Cup can be over-stated.

This is a brilliant opportunity to attract a new set of fans. As a sport we have a decent nucleus of hardcore fans who will buy season tickets, attend the weekly rounds and attend the two big finals.
What we don't have is an 'event' crowd. Rugby Union and other sports absolutely have this, and as is shown by the huge sections of empty seats in the Club Wembley sections on Cup Final day, we just don't attract general sporting fans at the level that other sports do.
If the organisers can fill the Millenium Stadium, Wembley and Old Trafford, then this will be a massive success, irrespective of what happens at the other grounds, and to do that they will need to tap into the wider sporting public.
The RFL have traditionally targeted existing customers for our events (mainly I suspect because this is a hell of a lot more cost-efficient), whereas there does appear to be a real shift and effort to attract new fans, which could be a massive boost to the game longer term.

Spot on.

It's clear from the ticketing plan that many lessons from the past have been built. Tickets affordable and being sold in sections in grounds to create an atmosphere. If we're going to get 10k in a 20k stadium, sit them together and the atmosphere will be much better than having everyone spread out.

The World Cup will also have a massive impact on players. Who wouldn't want to be part of it? Which should mean we should be in for some great rugby during the domestic season as everyone tries to look their best for the selectors.

#12 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Its the RLWC thats important if this meeting with the PM promotes the comp positively so much the better
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#13 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

He wouldn't have to go far. There's a school in his rural Oxfordshire constituency that plays the game and has raised a few eyebrows locally. He's also got Championship One rugby on his doorstep next year. Maybe he could get his old Bullingdon Club pals together for a trip to Iffley Road next season. They could always smash up the Cape of Good Hope and moon at passing cars on Magdalen Bridge afterwards. Just like old times.

Darrell and Josh Griffin were brought up in his constituency - Witney. I remember an article about him sending congratulations to Darrell Griffin when he was selected for England. Twas probably in the Hudds Examiner.....

#14 Dean

Dean
  • Coach
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Almost a full page in the Evening Standard on this yesterday. If nothing else this has helped me to convince my wife that RLWC will be a huge event and we need to buy tickets now!

#15 sgorpioncaerdyddrob

sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

I don't know about Cameron but I know Carwyn Jones is definitely a fan of the game having had a season ticket to the Celtic Crusaders before they left Bridgend, and he played RU for his school Brynteg which you might know from the Champion Schools that have done well recently.
Cardiff Demons ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc
Cardiff Spartans ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/southcoastspartans

Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth! BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS......!

#16 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

I don't know about Cameron but I know Carwyn Jones is definitely a fan of the game having had a season ticket to the Celtic Crusaders before they left Bridgend, and he played RU for his school Brynteg which you might know from the Champion Schools that have done well recently.

They should ask him to open the tournament at the Millenium game. After all, it is in Wales.

#17 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 825 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Almost a full page in the Evening Standard on this yesterday. If nothing else this has helped me to convince my wife that RLWC will be a huge event and we need to buy tickets now!

Ads a year before the event? Fantastic stuff; hopefully ticket sales will start to kick on from now.

I wonder how many they've sold?

I wonder too what is the TOTAL number of tickets available for RLWC ?

#18 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Ads a year before the event? Fantastic stuff; hopefully ticket sales will start to kick on from now.

I wonder how many they've sold?

I wonder too what is the TOTAL number of tickets available for RLWC ?

There are 500,000 to sell :-)

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

There are 500,000 to sell :-)

I think the target is 500k, but I believe the capacities are higher than this. Sure somebody could wizz through the list and work it out!

#20 AuroraXIII

AuroraXIII
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

A newsletter I got at lunchtime said 50,000 had been sold already which is fantastic news.

Darren Lockyer is over from Australia on a ten day tour of England and Wales to promote the tournament. All this and tickets are now on sale with over 50,000 gone by the end of the first day of general sales.