TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Two Tier Super League on the cards?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

I think it would be great for the game if it went ahead - but Where would we fit in in this structure?

http://www.warringto..._of_10/?ref=rss
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#2 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 698 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

I read this the other day. I think if this were to go ahead then you'd get Fev, Leigh, fax, Sheffield, and probably two of either a welsh, Cumbrian, or another French. Team. We would not be included. That being said. As long as promotion between all divisions is opened I would welcome it.

#3 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Who do you realistically think the 20 teams will be?
SIGNATURE

#4 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Who do you realistically think the 20 teams will be?

14 existing teams in super league plus another 6 which may include
Toulousse , fev , fax , leigh , sheff and one other

#5 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

I've got a feeling this will definitely happen.But the big problem will be will they cut off the rest of the teams as I think they will be no relegation from SL2 and it will become licensing for entry into SL2 also if certain teams don't want SL etc like we have got now then I think the rest of the teams that are not entered into SL1 or SL2 will be out in the cold like now but more so IMO

#6 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

14 existing teams in super league plus another 6 which may include
Toulousse , fev , fax , leigh , sheff and one other

A cumbrian team should be in

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#7 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

A cumbrian team should be in

I agree piggy but would they be able to sustain it financially? I personally don't think they could.But I agree with the 5 mentioned above and I've got a feeling one of the welsh teams will be the sixth as the RFL haven't given up on the welsh as we have seen with the latest rugby internationals but one day they will realise it doesn't work in Wales

#8 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

from a fev fan i dont think this will happen anytime soon the big boys wont take reduction in sky money to help sl2 plus wot about all the link ups with sl clubs how would that work the sl1 team whos linked up with a championship team whos in sl2 it would never work saying that give me championship rugby anyday

#9 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

from a fev fan i dont think this will happen anytime soon the big boys wont take reduction in sky money to help sl2 plus wot about all the link ups with sl clubs how would that work the sl1 team whos linked up with a championship team whos in sl2 it would never work saying that give me championship rugby anyday

Plug the only team that will enter SL2 that's in a link up is Leigh and if the RFL tell them to sever their ties for SL2 entry then Leigh will do that.It is widely known their Is only 4 clubs in our league that wants or can sustain SL rugby.

Edited by thundergaz, 01 November 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#10 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

ok fair point thundergaz but wot about the other six clubs to either drop down or a new french team or cumbrian team will the teams that drop down get a better deal of sky money if not i think a lot of players will not be happy with a lower contract money

#11 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

There is no chance of a French, Cumbrian or Welsh team being in a second tier of the Super League.

The franchise system needs to be scrapped because it does not work. Promotion and relegation needs to be reintroduced but I doubt that will happen.Too many Super League teams are in financial trouble to vote for relegation. A compromise structure so teams like Salford and Bradford keep there games against top Super League clubs and have time to sort there finances out whilst also giving teams in the Championship the 'chance' of Super League will probably be introduced.

The Super League will probably be increased by one team(Featherstone) with the fixture structure changed to reduce the number of fixtures.

Edited by bulldogtrev, 01 November 2012 - 08:56 PM.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#12 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

ok fair point thundergaz but wot about the other six clubs to either drop down or a new french team or cumbrian team will the teams that drop down get a better deal of sky money if not i think a lot of players will not be happy with a lower contract money

I don't think it will bother most of the clubs that drop into SL2 as it will be a saving grace for them IMO as the 4 that will drop are or close to financial ruin or really close to getting the boot out of SL anyway so I think the 4 clubs in question would welcome this just my opinion though.

#13 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 698 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

The SL clubs have too much power. You don't see Manchester united or Chelsea stopping smaller clubs like burnley (I think it was them) or Blackpool from having a shot in the premier league. If a club finishes bottom they should be relegated. Likewise if a team finishes top of the championship (Fev) they should be promoted. It is upto the club to remain financially strong and not overspend. But rather than the current salary cap I would subtract points from any club that makes a loss. This way the clubs would do more to bring people into the game.

I'd say keep a 14 team SL and a 14 team championship. With championship one over the following years to gradually increase until it also has 14. From there it should be 2 up and 2 down from each division every year. Regardless of any other factors like average crowd etc. This IS the best way forward for the future.
As it stands the RFL are biased and influenced too much by SL clubs.
Sky money should also be divided so that the team who finishes top gets the biggest share and the team who finishes bottom getting the least. The same should apply to the parachute payments through the championship. This itself would allow teams to develop naturally as they progress through the divisions.

To be honest though I think the RFL will try to come up with something that's "out of the box" in an attempt to show that they are moving things forwards. The simple answer is above. It works in hundreds of sports all around the world and has for hundreds of years. - if it isn't broke, why fix it?

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Cas, Widnes, Salford and Wakefield to be relegated to Div 2, along with Toulouse, Sheffield, Fev, Fax, Leigh and somebody else - maybe a Welsh Club.

Batley in Div 3.

Make no mistake - this is about trimming down Div 1 much more than promotion and relegation. <_<
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#15 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

They'll go for an interim "solution" to begin with, a reduction in SL numbers to 12 with some compensation to the two clubs who drop out (Wakefield/Cas/Salford/Hull KR) before rebranding a lower tier as SL2. This preserves the TV money for those already in the lifeboat, which is really what this is all about.

Unfashionable or unambitious (sic) clubs will end up in an expanded Chamionship. No prizes for guessing which these will be.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#16 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

They'll go for an interim "solution" to begin with, a reduction in SL numbers to 12 with some compensation to the two clubs who drop out (Wakefield/Cas/Salford/Hull KR) before rebranding a lower tier as SL2. This preserves the TV money for those already in the lifeboat, which is really what this is all about.

Unfashionable or unambitious (sic) clubs will end up in an expanded Chamionship. No prizes for guessing which these will be.

Depressingly I think you're probably right. I even have my doubts as to whether Mr murdoch will want to continue his support for the game in this country for much longer, especially if he ends up paying megabucks for F1, and if that became the case then we'd all be up the creek - without a canoe let alone a paddle. :o I wonder how many SL clubs would survive.

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Depressingly I think you're probably right. I even have my doubts as to whether Mr murdoch will want to continue his support for the game in this country for much longer, especially if he ends up paying megabucks for F1, and if that became the case then we'd all be up the creek - without a canoe let alone a paddle. :o I wonder how many SL clubs would survive.

Sky find their coverage (not support) of RL to be commercially viable, that's why they will continue with it. Viewing figures are very strong (much more than for RU, which must surprise you rah rah's) hence their advertising income is equally remunerative.

Without TV money, of course, the game would be screwed, but that can be said of most major sports nowadays.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Sky find their coverage (not support) of RL to be commercially viable, that's why they will continue with it. Viewing figures are very strong (much more than for RU, which must surprise you rah rah's) hence their advertising income is equally remunerative.

Without TV money, of course, the game would be screwed, but that can be said of most major sports nowadays.

Not really surprised at the viewing figures BSJ - the televised RU matches invariably clash with football, and many of them are now covered by ESPN anyway, the RL is screened later, when most normal blokes will watch anything rather than strictly come X factoring on ice. :rolleyes: I remain to be convinced of murdochs long term comitment to the game.

#19 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Not really surprised at the viewing figures BSJ - the televised RU matches invariably clash with football, and many of them are now covered by ESPN anyway, the RL is screened later, when most normal blokes will watch anything rather than strictly come X factoring on ice. :rolleyes: I remain to be convinced of murdochs long term comitment to the game.

Sky aren't "committed" to any game, they're committed to making money. If it makes commercial sense they'll stick with it, if not they'll dump it. That's why they didn't shed so many tears when RU switched some coverage to ESPN - it's poor TV which many would rather do the washing up than sit in front of. There's no soccer on TV on Saturday afternoons but RU still draws a poor audience.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#20 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

I'd guess you've based that on stats that suggested a top RL game outperformed it's RU counterpart - 128.000 wasn't it ? Given strictly and xfactor generate viewing figures of nearly 20 million between them, that's not an earth shattering figure - 1 in 200 give or take. the same sources show that the championship play off final attracted more than some of this years SL matches but it's hardly a trend. FWIW, since ESPN hijacked the top RU fixtures I just tend to watch the highlights program on sunday. By the same token, I only watch live RL where wigan are involved, for the most part I watch the BBC highlights program.

That's why they didn't shed so many tears when RU switched some coverage to ESPN - it's poor TV which many would rather do the washing up than sit in front of

For your information, some of us don't get to chose between the rugby and the washing up. :huh: