Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gareth Hock....future in Oz?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Parramatta sniffing it appears.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/20152746

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Would be a good move for him,heard he wants to get away from his old "lifestyle", Aussie clubs don't like paying transfer fees do they,would imagine he would sign when he's OOC.
Aren't the Eels also rumoured to be signing Israel Falau?

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 01 November 2012 - 06:45 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#3 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Parramatta sniffing it appears.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/20152746

just heard jason robinson going to union :unsure:

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#4 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

If hock goes to the eels, that's the biggest two fingers ever to the pies.

They've stood by him and could be leaving them in the poo.

Hock has been amazing this season, he's made me change my opinion on how good he is and IMHO he's over taken Super Bennie

Leaving Super League will be good for him, but IMHO it's shitt ting on Wigans loyal fans.

I don't buy this " we've got youngsters coming through". You can't replace hock with a youngster, he's irreplaceable with the players in England.

#5 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

He's on a fairly long contract i believe so its up to Wigan if he goes or stays.
Only rugby players in the NRL out of all sports seem to have any degree of loyalty these days.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#6 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

just heard jason robinson going to union :unsure:

Meaning?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

Still behind super Ben. His down fall was all the stupid penalties he gave away. He's cut that out. Hock still hasn't. Still too many stupid moments. At top level, the Aussies would exploit his tendency to give away penalties to kill us. They used to do that to Benny, but he's matured now.

#8 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

He's on a fairly long contract i believe so its up to Wigan if he goes or stays.

Yes and no! Whilst technically it is up to Wigan if someone wants to leave its always been the policy to let them. Also at the end of his current contract he'll probably not be worth much due to age etc, but being bought out now should net a lot of money.

My biggest worry is that over the last 3 or 4 years, all the players we've lost, have been replaced, but they've always been not quite as good. I think Leeds have shown that to have a consistently good team you need stability.

#9 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

Meaning?

Think they are implying you are slightly late with this news. It was posted in the English players in Australia 2013 thread on Monday. Bobby Goulding tweeted it monday afternoon.

Goulding is now having some kind of twitter row with John Wilkin after tweeting yesterday that Wilkin had been at Widnes meeting Dennis Betts!

#10 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

If hock goes to the eels, that's the biggest two fingers ever to the pies.

They've stood by him and could be leaving them in the poo.

How is he leaving them in the poo?

#11 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

How is he leaving them in the poo?

IMHO - Wigan have stood by Hock in the two years in the wilderness, comes back as a top performer week in week out and if he was to leave it leaves a massive gap to plug.

Who's good enough to lace his boots, Hocks assists will not be replaced over night, never mind the yardage he makes.

Top Class player - Hughes has potential, Farrelll is good (compared to Hock) and Tuson seems to have gone backwards!!!

So IMHO that leaves a gap in the back row and Wigan in the poo.

Flippin Heck I'm a Wire being nice and giving courtesy towards Wigan.

#12 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Still behind super Ben. His down fall was all the stupid penalties he gave away. He's cut that out. Hock still hasn't. Still too many stupid moments. At top level, the Aussies would exploit his tendency to give away penalties to kill us. They used to do that to Benny, but he's matured now.

Why did Ben average more penalties a game than Hock if he's cut them out?

#13 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Why did Ben average more penalties a game than Hock if he's cut them out?

Hock 24 Pens - 1 red Card
Westwood 22 Pens - no cards

As per Stobart Superleague stats

#14 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Fair enough Wigan did stand by him in some troubled times for him.. and i agree he should show a certain degree of loyalty to Wigan.. but he's not getting any younger and at the end of the day you have to look after yourself.. if he does go i'd imagine it would be at the end of the 2013 season, with a bit of compensation coming Wigan's way. Had Gareth Hock been a decidedly average player, Wigan might not have been so keen to stand by him. #justsaying

Hock leaving would be a dent for Wigan though, no denying that. aAwesome player. But someone i would love to see in the NRL

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#15 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

How many games did they play, by the way?
There's not much between them - both world class for mine.
Hock's going this year would be a massive loss for Wigan (unless we get an equivalent replacement). If we have a year to adapt I am sure we will find a way.

#16 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Think they are implying you are slightly late with this news. It was posted in the English players in Australia 2013 thread on Monday. Bobby Goulding tweeted it monday afternoon.

Thanks. Hadn't read that thread so I'm disappointed but not surprised in the manner of reply from mymissus.

#17 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Hock would be a massive loss for wigan especially seeing as we're already losing 3 key players and Lima will be leaving a gap (though not unfillable) in the forwards, we could really do with him at least for the 2013 season. Its a shame we couldn't see Graham in the autumn series to get a real look at weather shipping over to the NRL induces better play in an England shirt, no doubt the new experience would mature his game though. I can see his point about wanting to leave his past too, every time he knocks on it's because he's a druggy which I can imagine being a bit tiresome after serving a ban and returning to good form, probably more motivated by cash a bit of sun and a new challenge though.

As far as week-in week-out discipline goes I reckon Hock and Westwood are much of a muchness, they both enjoy throwing their weight around and the ability they have to push other players. Just seems like hock has a tendency to overreact, the england game this weekend being a prime example. Thats one aspect of his game that he needs to cut out if he wants to shake his past and really excel at the sport.

#18 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Westwood 18 games - 1.22 penalties a game.

Hock 22 games - 1.09 penalties a game.

A per super league stats. So my point stands.

#19 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thanks. Hadn't read that thread so I'm disappointed but not surprised in the manner of reply from mymissus.

twas just a jest :D

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#20 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

twas just a jest :D

That's ok, I like to overreact and show my overly sensitive side these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users