Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gareth Hock....future in Oz?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Westwood 18 games - 1.22 penalties a game.

Hock 22 games - 1.09 penalties a game.

A per super league stats. So my point stands.

Fair do's

Didn't look at number of games played

#22 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

Parramatta have all but signed Israel Falou from Aussie Rules and he will take up almost all of their available SC money.
He will be their priority signing to get fans through the gates and there may not be enough money to sign Gaz Hock.
Although, with their central funding going up by $2m this week it seems that an increase in the NRL salary cap could be on the cards.
If the Eels can only sign one of the two it won't be Gaz Hock.

#23 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Parramatta have all but signed Israel Falou from Aussie Rules and he will take up almost all of their available SC money.
He will be their priority signing to get fans through the gates and there may not be enough money to sign Gaz Hock.
Although, with their central funding going up by $2m this week it seems that an increase in the NRL salary cap could be on the cards.
If the Eels can only sign one of the two it won't be Gaz Hock.

The Eels have had Hindmarsh and Burt retire and others move on, they should have some money.

I agree though, Folau will be a lot higher up their list than Hock.

#24 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

Bad times ahead for Super League if/when the NRL raise their cap,all the best players will be heading for Oz IMO!

Making SL even weaker than it is now! On the plus side though it will strengthen our International team.

#25 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

IMHO - Wigan have stood by Hock in the two years in the wilderness, comes back as a top performer week in week out and if he was to leave it leaves a massive gap to plug.

Who's good enough to lace his boots, Hocks assists will not be replaced over night, never mind the yardage he makes.

Wigan are not a one man team.
He will not be leaving them in the ######.

#26 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

I agree, but Wigan are going to take a step back with or without Hock, the loss of Leuluai, Finch, Carmont, Lima and Fielden is a lot of experience and talent missing all at once. I'm excited about the prospect of seeing the new generation pushing through, but expectations will have to be lowered as I just don't see Smith and Green developing into an above average half back partnership.

#27 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I agree, but Wigan are going to take a step back with or without Hock, the loss of Leuluai, Finch, Carmont, Lima and Fielden is a lot of experience and talent missing all at once. I'm excited about the prospect of seeing the new generation pushing through, but expectations will have to be lowered as I just don't see Smith and Green developing into an above average half back partnership.

I reckon the whole of SL will take a step back within the next two seasons as the Aussie cash avalanche starts to be felt - no decent imports and a flood of emigrants from our game.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#28 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Where did I say you're a one man team???

No team is a one man club, I agree.

Opinions differ on leaving you in the poo..... After supporting him, educating him, he leaves a massive gap.

Is that not right?

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 03 November 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#29 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Could Jack Hughes not be a replacement if necessary or is he not ready yet?

#30 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Could Jack Hughes not be a replacement if necessary or is he not ready yet?

Of course he could be used as a replacement, but he's nowhere near as explosive or as important as hock

Great player for the future, future full international. I right him highly ( doesn't matter what I think lol)

It's funny this thread, a wire giving compliements to a Wigan player and getting grief for my opinion, maybe I should say he's a waster, a druggie, a thug with the ability to lose his temper...... But no, he's better than all that he's one of England's best players and hock isn't easy to replace......

#31 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Of course he could be used as a replacement, but he's nowhere near as explosive or as important as hock

Great player for the future, future full international. I right him highly ( doesn't matter what I think lol)

It's funny this thread, a wire giving compliements to a Wigan player and getting grief for my opinion, maybe I should say he's a waster, a druggie, a thug with the ability to lose his temper...... But no, he's better than all that he's one of England's best players and hock isn't easy to replace......

Hock is a great player and difficult to replace in terms of attacking impact, but he also has a number of shortcomings in his game that don't help the team on occasions.

#32 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hughes is deceivingly quick, he can accelerate very quickly. Obviously he doesn't have the power or offload that Hock has, but if he bulks up abit whilst keeping the pace I think Wigan could mould him into his replacement in the next year.

But if Wigan lost Hock, Finch, Carmont, Leuleuai and Lima I don't think they will be challenging next year unfortunately.

#33 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Hocks head is in oz

#34 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Hocks head is in oz

It might just be that he's not as good as you've been making out. He's always had a cheeky Hock-on in him.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#35 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

It might just be that he's not as good as you've been making out. He's always had a cheeky Hock-on in him.

Everyone has an opinion..... I'd have hock in our team 100%

#36 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hughes is deceivingly quick, he can accelerate very quickly. Obviously he doesn't have the power or offload that Hock has, but if he bulks up abit whilst keeping the pace I think Wigan could mould him into his replacement in the next year.

But if Wigan lost Hock, Finch, Carmont, Leuleuai and Lima I don't think they will be challenging next year unfortunately.

I don't think Hughes pace is deceiving at all, it's clearly an asset otherwise he wouldn't be filling in at centre. I personally don't think there is much between Hughes and where Hock was at in development terms at the same stage of his career. It also took Hock a very long time to reach his full potential even before the drugs ban. I'd rather have 5 - 10 years of Hughes and Farrell than losing one to keep the 3 - 4 years that Hock has left at the top. That's why I wouldn't be disappointed if Hock goes.

In terms of contending - Wigan will take a step back, but I'd still be surprised if we finished lower than 5th. If the worst Saints side I've seen in almost two decades can finish 3rd, we'll be fine.

#37 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Where did I say you're a one man team???

No team is a one man club, I agree.

Opinions differ on leaving you in the poo..... After supporting him, educating him, he leaves a massive gap.

Is that not right?

He is a sportsman. Who has a very short playing carrier. He owes them nothing as he risks permanent injury or even death every time he takes to the pitch.
If Wigan didn't want him there. Sentiment wouldn't come into to it. He would just be dropped.
If he wants to go to Aus then good luck to him.

#38 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

I don't think Hughes pace is deceiving at all, it's clearly an asset otherwise he wouldn't be filling in at centre. I personally don't think there is much between Hughes and where Hock was at in development terms at the same stage of his career. It also took Hock a very long time to reach his full potential even before the drugs ban. I'd rather have 5 - 10 years of Hughes and Farrell than losing one to keep the 3 - 4 years that Hock has left at the top. That's why I wouldn't be disappointed if Hock goes.

In terms of contending - Wigan will take a step back, but I'd still be surprised if we finished lower than 5th. If the worst Saints side I've seen in almost two decades can finish 3rd, we'll be fine.

I agree with what your saying that it won't be too dissapointing about losing hock. The reference to the pace was more from personal experience as during his time at barrow he didn't really seem to be anything but a tall second rower who made good yards but watching him in an SL game last season he broke the line and showed great pace which shocked me.

Last season you were the best team consistently, but next season I don't think you'll be able to mantain that level next year and stay at the top when you compare your squad to wire. I doubr you'll finish lower than 3rd unless Leeds decide to try during the majoroty of the season.

#39 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Is it a given he'll be given a visa after his ban? Or do such things not get considered and/or effect the process?

#40 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

He is a sportsman. Who has a very short playing carrier. He owes them nothing as he risks permanent injury or even death every time he takes to the pitch.
If Wigan didn't want him there. Sentiment wouldn't come into to it. He would just be dropped.
If he wants to go to Aus then good luck to him.

So Wigan ain't in the poo he's shitt on them. How many clubs would support a druggie!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users