Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gareth Hock....future in Oz?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

So Wigan ain't in the poo he's shitt on them. How many clubs would support a druggie!!

It's not like Wigan had nothing to gain from supporting Hock...if a less talented player went through the same situation with the club it's questionable whether the approach would have been the same.

#42 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

for me gaz hock is a world class forward who would be a massive loss to any team, but if there is any team could cope with losing him it would be wigan...............

Edited by Viking Warrior, 03 November 2012 - 10:10 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#43 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

So Wigan ain't in the poo he's shitt on them. How many clubs would support a druggie!!

He is a professional sportsman.
He owes them nothing.

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean he is wrong.

#44 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

He is a professional sportsman.
He owes them nothing.

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean he is wrong.

FFS I didn't say its wrong. How many fooking times I've said he'll leave them in the poo....

#45 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Why are Wigan in the poo?
We have plenty second rowers in Farrell, Tuson, Hughes, Lloyd, Flower and Lauaki who can replace him.
None as good as Hock but the club is hardly left looking for someone to fill the gap is he does leave.

#46 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Why are Wigan in the poo?
We have plenty second rowers in Farrell, Tuson, Hughes, Lloyd, Flower and Lauaki who can replace him.
None as good as Hock but the club is hardly left looking for someone to fill the gap is he does leave.

Rolls Royce leaving mini coopers filling in.

#47 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Sometimes if you need to get from A to B, the less flashy model can make the same journey whilst proving more reliable.

Edited by giwildgo, 04 November 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#48 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Hughes is going to be a great player. Who knows how good Lloyd is going to be? The rest will do a job. I suspect this one has a long way to run before we'll know how we'll line up in Round 1.

#49 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Sometimes if you need to get from A to B, the less flashy model can make the same journey whilst proving more reliable.

Hughes is going to be a great player. Who knows how good Lloyd is going to be? The rest will do a job. I suspect this one has a long way to run before we'll know how we'll line up in Round 1.

At least we can all agree what a wonderful player hock is!!!

As a wire fan I'm glad (if he does go) as he's a massive player for Wigan - just see westwood reaction after hock scored against us.

#50 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Bad times ahead for Super League if/when the NRL raise their cap,all the best players will be heading for Oz IMO!

Making SL even weaker than it is now! On the plus side though it will strengthen our International team.

With the better players playing in Oz, more players will get a chance to play Superleague. The clubs need to be encouraged to develop and play British players to increase the player pool for England/Wales/Scotland/Ireland. The more Brits playing in Oz is a very good thing in my opinion. No down side at all.

#51 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

With the better players playing in Oz, more players will get a chance to play Superleague. The clubs need to be encouraged to develop and play British players to increase the player pool for England/Wales/Scotland/Ireland. The more Brits playing in Oz is a very good thing in my opinion. No down side at all.

The local fans do not get to see the best players is not a down side?
If all of the Kangaroo side move to English Clubs you would see a definite backlash from the Aussie public and ratings and gates would drop.

#52 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

They would watch new players play for their team and, possibly, new stars. If they wanted to watch the "best" players they'd have to watch the International games, increasing crowds and media interest in the Greatest Game! See, no down side!

#53 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

If all of the Kangaroo side move to English Clubs you would see a definite backlash from the Aussie public and ratings and gates would drop.

are'nt fans supposed to support the team? not a certain player?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#54 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

The team is made up of players.
If all the best players get developed then leave it will hardly create new fans.
All fans want a successful team and want to see the best players possible play for their team especially locally produced players.
If Tomkins quits Wigan will none of the fans care either way?
Why do kids (and some adults) wear Club shirts with their favourite players names on the back?

#55 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

If Tomkins quits Wigan will none of the fans care either way?

If he left Wigan for union fans would care as a very good player would be lost to our game. If he left for the NRL most would understand although Wigan fans wouldn't be over the moon about it but I doubt Wigan will lose any fans over it.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 05 November 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#56 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

If he left Wigan for union fans would care as a very good player would be lost to our game. If he left for the NRL most would understand although Wigan fans wouldn't be over the moon about it but I doubt Wigan will lose any fans over it.

But if as a Club you lose the best players you start winning less and losing more, then the fans walk in many cases.
Its great that some good players are having a go in the NRL but I think it may lead to a mediocre SL that becomes something like the Qld Cup where its just one of the Nurseries that the NRL will cherry pick any decent player on less money than they have to pay a name player in Oz.
Can SL sustain itself in the long term when the better players move overseas?

I don't know if it can.

#57 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

But if as a Club you lose the best players you start winning less and losing more, then the fans walk in many cases.
Its great that some good players are having a go in the NRL but I think it may lead to a mediocre SL that becomes something like the Qld Cup where its just one of the Nurseries that the NRL will cherry pick any decent player on less money than they have to pay a name player in Oz.
Can SL sustain itself in the long term when the better players move overseas?

I don't know if it can.

That's a fair point, although not always the case (as in Wigan's great escape a few years back where crowds increased). We do need some way to energise the competition, and hopefully keep some of our stars. Sadly I don't think we can do that without raising the cap, which I think most clubs would sadly object to.

#58 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

bleeding hell.......the sky is'nt gonna fall because a team may lose a player or 2 to the NRL lmao

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#59 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

bleeding hell.......the sky is'nt gonna fall because a team may lose a player or 2 to the NRL lmao

If all teams lose their best player, and the top teams lose two or three, it will be really bad. The RFL and clubs will really have to work hard to not appear as if they're a feeder league for RU and the NRL.

That will effect sponsorship, crowds and eventually TV figures.

Not the end of the world but it could be pretty bad.

But of course that would be the levelling down the playing field many teams want!

Edited by RidingPie, 05 November 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#60 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

No, that's RU.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users