RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gareth Hock....future in Oz?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

If all teams lose their best player, and the top teams lose two or three, it will be really bad. The RFL and clubs will really have to work hard to not appear as if they're a feeder league for RU and the NRL.

That will effect sponsorship, crowds and eventually TV figures.

Not the end of the world but it could be pretty bad.

But of course that would be the levelling down the playing field many teams want!

all the teams are'nt going to lose their best players.....christ stop with all the doom mongering lol

Edited by roughyedspud, 05 November 2012 - 10:31 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#62 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

bleeding hell.......the sky is'nt gonna fall because a team may lose a player or 2 to the NRL lmao

Well everything starts somewhere and momentum can be hard to stop.

NRL get significant increase in their salary Cap.
Up to four new teams brought into the NRL in the next six years which will generate the need for 100 additional first grade players.

Maybe the flood gates will stay locked or perhaps the NRL Clubs may only want the 20 or so better players.

I think its a worry though.

#63 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

no.....its a worry if we lose players to union......sending players to the NRL should be welcomed...

also the NRL are'nt bringing upto 4 new teams in lol...they actually put a block on any new teams last week...

OLDHAM RLFC

#64 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

all the teams are'nt going to lose their best players.....christ stop with all the doom mongering lol

Even the lower teams are losing players, Chase is going, Wakey could well have given Tim Smith a longer contract so if the NRL come sniffing they'll at least get decent compensation, Bradford have lost Ainsough and Burgess. Wigan have lost Luluie, Finch, Hock and possibly Sam (admittedly better than losing him to union but still), and from the rumours I've heard Mossop at the end of next season.

Thats just off the top of my head. Their are others as well, and the extra money hasn't started filtering down through the NRL yet!

Once a organisation has been asset stripped (since we don't have immediate equal replacements) the whole competition is devalued.

I'm not saying this is the death knell of RL, but the marketing people have to find some way to re-energise the competition afterwards.

#65 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

no.....its a worry if we lose players to union......sending players to the NRL should be welcomed...

also the NRL are'nt bringing upto 4 new teams in lol...they actually put a block on any new teams last week...

No, the ARLC commission said..

ARLC chairman John Grant last week delivered expansion groups a body blow saying expansion talk was off the table until the end of 2014.
It means several consortiums across Australia and in PNG would be unlikely to be up and running until 2017.

A team in Perth and another team in Brisbane is inevitable, then there is Rockhampton, Central Coast, PNG or Adelaide.
A 20 team comp would be a perfect fit.

#66 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Even the lower teams are losing players, Chase is going, Wakey could well have given Tim Smith a longer contract so if the NRL come sniffing they'll at least get decent compensation, Bradford have lost Ainsough and Burgess. Wigan have lost Luluie, Finch, Hock and possibly Sam (admittedly better than losing him to union but still), and from the rumours I've heard Mossop at the end of next season.

Thats just off the top of my head. Their are others as well, and the extra money hasn't started filtering down through the NRL yet!

Once a organisation has been asset stripped (since we don't have immediate equal replacements) the whole competition is devalued.

I'm not saying this is the death knell of RL, but the marketing people have to find some way to re-energise the competition afterwards.

chase has just signed a new deal at cas..

tim smith,Luluie & finch are'nt english so who cares

and sam tomkins has become the highest paid player in british RL are a result of wigan not wanting him to goto union...

OLDHAM RLFC

#67 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

No, the ARLC commission said..

ARLC chairman John Grant last week delivered expansion groups a body blow saying expansion talk was off the table until the end of 2014.
It means several consortiums across Australia and in PNG would be unlikely to be up and running until 2017.

A team in Perth and another team in Brisbane is inevitable, then there is Rockhampton, Central Coast, PNG or Adelaide.
A 20 team comp would be a perfect fit.

wtf you worrying about something for that might not happen for 5 years?? lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#68 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

chase has just signed a new deal at cas..

tim smith,Luluie & finch are'nt english so who cares

and sam tomkins has become the highest paid player in british RL are a result of wigan not wanting him to goto union...

Doesn't matter whether they are English or not, since the replacements will be of lesser quality the point still stands, the standard of play will go down.

#69 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

We just don't know what the knock on effects will be, and no one knows who will be enticed to the NRL with its vast riches. The exchange rate will remain a major factor - we are currently looking at a double whammy of exchange rate and a massive new deal.
I strongly suspect that there are a number of wealthier clubs who will press for a smaller SL 1 and a much higher cap. Which will mitigate the damage caused.
We could also end up with a 2 tier SL, which I would welcome, together with a much stronger national team, which could have far greater positive effects than the loss of a couple of players per club.
I would not under estimate the ability of the likes of Moran, Lenigan and McManus to respond to any crisis in a way that ensured the continuing strength of our game.

#70 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

We just don't know what the knock on effects will be, and no one knows who will be enticed to the NRL with its vast riches. The exchange rate will remain a major factor - we are currently looking at a double whammy of exchange rate and a massive new deal.
I strongly suspect that there are a number of wealthier clubs who will press for a smaller SL 1 and a much higher cap. Which will mitigate the damage caused.
We could also end up with a 2 tier SL, which I would welcome, together with a much stronger national team, which could have far greater positive effects than the loss of a couple of players per club.
I would not under estimate the ability of the likes of Moran, Lenigan and McManus to respond to any crisis in a way that ensured the continuing strength of our game.

Spot on.

Back on topic, Hock would be awesome in the NRL, and he would be missed badly by Wigan next year.

Simples?

#71 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Spot on.

Back on topic, Hock would be awesome in the NRL, and he would be missed badly by Wigan next year.

Simples?

No one seems to be looking at this from Hock's point of view. He's got a chance to put his past well and truly behind him, live and play in Sydney and test himself in the best league (either code) in the world. I think he would go really well if he can reign his temper in.

Wigan stood by Hock as it was in their own best interests as proven with his performances this year. No loyalty is owed for the "drug ban situation" however his remaining contract with Wigan should be honoured unless the club are happy for him to go.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#72 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

a 29 year old ex drugs cheat leaving a club for a hefty transfer fee.........................good business in my eyes

i like gareth hock....he's a excellent player,he'll be even better for going to the NRL,it'll make england better too.............but if it was a wigan fan i'd look at his age and look at the transfer fee.....................and wish him good luck...........and look to the future and use the money to bring through the next stars.

Edited by roughyedspud, 05 November 2012 - 06:11 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#73 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

FFS I didn't say its wrong. How many fooking times I've said he'll leave them in the poo....

Calm down dear.

Wigan will not be left in the poo just because he goes.
They can and will replace him.

#74 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

The NRL have now got massive funds and their League isn't expanding for maybe four to five years yet.
In that time I do feel that Union players will make themselves available to the NRL.
Aussie junior Union players may well wish to switch codes if the bigger money is in League.
Across the Tasman there are endless numbers of quality Union players, especially halves and backs, who may well look at League for the same monetary reasons. Another NRL club in NZ would easily fill their squad with the salaries that are going to be paid.
Then there's the South African Union players. They may well fancy their chances too as the exchange rate would be massively to the players favour and their club's disadvantage. French Union has the big money but the NRL may well rival them.

Most of the SL players going to the NRL are forwards. Tommy Leuluai is the only one I can immediately think of who isn't a forward. They don't appear to want any of our backs, although Sam Tomkins could be an exception.
The Burgess's, Graham, Ellis and Morley, now maybe Hock. If our backs will go anywhere it will be Union as in Ashton, Joel T, Pryce and Lee Smith.
It is not an urgent problem but one that needs to be looked at with a view to addressing in the next 12 to 18 months.

#75 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Is it a given he'll be given a visa after his ban? Or do such things not get considered and/or effect the process?

Good point but seems your comments been overlooked.
I also wondered about his drugs ban (cocaine) making it difficult for him to get to work in Aus, or even get in?

Anyone got any ideas?
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#76 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

The NRL have now got massive funds.
Most of the SL players going to the NRL are forwards. They don't appear to want any of our backs, although Sam Tomkins could be an exception.
The Burgess's, Graham, Ellis and Morley, now maybe Hock. If our backs will go anywhere it will be Union as in Ashton, Joel T, Pryce and Lee Smith.

Tom Briscoe?
Widely reported on interest from Aus and he has always expressed a wish to try the NRL - AP prepared to offer him "big money" to sign an extension to his contract - but with their massive salary cap (compared to ours) I think he'll sadly be gone after next season :(
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#77 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

I also wondered about his drugs ban (cocaine) making it difficult for him to get to work in Aus, or even get in?

Anyone got any ideas?

If it's not a conviction it wouldn't be an issue would it?

#78 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Anyone got any ideas?

Whilst I won't pretend to know Australian law on this point but I don't think it will be a problem. Firstly, he hasn't been convicted and hasn't got a criminal record, it was a recreational drug he took after all, and his sentence was handed out but the sporting body and not a court of law. Secondly he'll have a company willing to sponsor his application and pay for him.

From memory those who have struggled to get a visa were either being or had been convicted.

Thats just my thoughts though and I'm probably wrong.

#79 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

If it's not a conviction it wouldn't be an issue would it?

How Australia has come full circle, eh?
People called Romans they go the house

#80 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

If he left Wigan for union fans would care as a very good player would be lost to our game. If he left for the NRL most would understand although Wigan fans wouldn't be over the moon about it but I doubt Wigan will lose any fans over it.

Nail on head. I was a Wigan fan long before Hock and Tomkins arrived and I'll hopefully be one long after they both leave. Sometimes people get too wrapped up in the present - a hero today is a zero tomorrow. Five years ago I could only dream of Wigan winning SL and the Challenge Cup whilst having a talent like Tomkins in the 13. Who's to say in five years that someone else doesn't emerge and have a similar impact. Yes I'll be disappointed if Hock, Tomkins et al leave, but the club will still be there regardless and tomorrow's hero will appear soon enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users