Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gareth Hock....future in Oz?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,335 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

a 29 year old ex drugs cheat leaving a club for a hefty transfer fee.......i like gareth hock...

#82 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,127 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

We shouldn't worry - we keep getting told that the quality is getting worse and worse in SL every year, yet crowds increase, so it would seem to me that quality doesn't affect the crowds.

Doom-mongers can;t have it both ways!

#83 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

The doom mongers may be disappointed.
Not a done deal by any means and the longer it goes on the more unlikely it will ever be done.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Hock was in the Wigan 2013 squad when it's announced in a few weeks time.

#84 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

The doom mongers may be disappointed.
Not a done deal by any means and the longer it goes on the more unlikely it will ever be done.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Hock was in the Wigan 2013 squad when it's announced in a few weeks time.

Listened to a clip on MMM radio the other day when the Paramatta CEO said all dealings with signing Gareth Hock were on hold until their chase of Israel Folau was finalised.

I doubt that Paramatta are in a position to lay out contracts for both players. I would think that if they can sign Folau then they may drop their interest in Hock, but if the Folau deal falls through this could free up the funds for Hock.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#85 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Listened to a clip on MMM radio the other day when the Paramatta CEO said all dealings with signing Gareth Hock were on hold until their chase of Israel Folau was finalised.

I doubt that Paramatta are in a position to lay out contracts for both players. I would think that if they can sign Folau then they may drop their interest in Hock, but if the Folau deal falls through this could free up the funds for Hock.

Most Aussie Clubs do not usually pay transfer fees unless they have a Movie Star as their backer.
I can not believe that Parramatta will pay a transfer fee, a solid money, long contract for four years on a 29 year old.

Then again Parra have had one of the worst (probably the worst) recruitment and retention policies in the history of the NRL so maybe I will be wrong.

Edited by AndyCapp, 10 November 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#86 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

can you not edit my quotes please.......ta

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#87 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

Most Aussie Clubs do not usually pay transfer fees unless they have a Movie Star as their backer.
I can not believe that Parramatta will pay a transfer fee, a solid money, long contract for four years on a 29 year old.

Then again Parra have had one of the worst (probably the worst) recruitment and retention policies in the history of the NRL so maybe I will be wrong.

Which movie star payed the big fee for Greg Eastwood?
People called Romans they go the house

#88 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Dame Edna?
Dunno, you tell me.

Edited by AndyCapp, 10 November 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#89 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Has there been a collective TRL sigh of relief now the Wigan Evening Post are reporting the Eels have been unable to agree a fee for Hock?

#90 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Happy that he's staying put from a Wigan perspective. From an England perspective, McNamara needs to sit down with Wane and agree what sort of player he needs to be for the World Cup. Indeed, McN could usefully discuss with each of the club coaches what roles he has in mind for the England squad players and ask them to bear that in mind - eg Sam's getting some time in the halves now and again, working on people's kicking games etc.

#91 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Happy that he's staying put from a Wigan perspective. From an England perspective, McNamara needs to sit down with Wane and agree what sort of player he needs to be for the World Cup. Indeed, McN could usefully discuss with each of the club coaches what roles he has in mind for the England squad players and ask them to bear that in mind - eg Sam's getting some time in the halves now and again, working on people's kicking games etc.

Collaborative working for the greater good of the game - its got to be the future!

Edited by shrek, 13 November 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#92 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:46 AM

Collaborative working for the greater good of the game - its got to be the future!

Your'e confusing Rugby League with garlic bread! ;) :)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#93 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Who was it again Posh? I missed your reply?