Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will the new youth structure create a "lost generation"?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Maybe if clubs had invested proper time, money and effort in the academys then the standards would be higher. SL clubs would rather waste some money on an Aussie instead of investing time, effort and money on academy players. The way some teams treated the U20s was a disgrace. Huddersfield I think last year couldnt even be bothered turning up against Wigan in the U20s! Other clubs outside SL meanwhile bust a gut to have academy teams at a number of age groups. I would have minimum standards of SL that a club also as I have stated before U23,U20 and U18 and must spend a certain amount on them. This should be where a club gets the mainstay of its future teams from. Any clubs that cant or wont invest in academy teams should be kicked out of SL for me. The more time, effort and money you invest in academy players usually the better quality the players are and I believe thats where the Aussies have it over the Brits. The Australian clubs spend a lot more time and effort not just on first grade but the grades below. Many of our games problems have been self inflicted and the decisions to treat the academy as a joke by a number of clubs or just do the bear minimum will I believe hurt them and the English, Welsh etc National teams. The RFL should in my opinion needs a massive review not just on SL but the whole structure of the game and see the damage that many recent decisions have and will cause many areas of the game in the future. The game and SL clubs who have the larger vote as Giwildgo mentions have been making short term selfish decisions which in the long term damage the game as a whole and the clubs themselves. Things need to change both at the RFL and the Pro game as well as in the amateur game. Wood and Rimmer amongst others are not the right people to have in charge at the RFL. The SL clubs are wrong to have so much power and vote on things that will harm the game in such a big way. But sadly I cant see much change in anything happening. The people in our game with the power are the ones slowly destroying it at a number of levels and its very sad to see.

#22 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Maybe if clubs had invested proper time, money and effort in the academys then the standards would be higher. SL clubs would rather waste some money on an Aussie instead of investing time, effort and money on academy players. The way some teams treated the U20s was a disgrace. Huddersfield I think last year couldnt even be bothered turning up against Wigan in the U20s! Other clubs outside SL meanwhile bust a gut to have academy teams at a number of age groups. I would have minimum standards of SL that a club also as I have stated before U23,U20 and U18 and must spend a certain amount on them. This should be where a club gets the mainstay of its future teams from. Any clubs that cant or wont invest in academy teams should be kicked out of SL for me. The more time, effort and money you invest in academy players usually the better quality the players are and I believe thats where the Aussies have it over the Brits. The Australian clubs spend a lot more time and effort not just on first grade but the grades below. Many of our games problems have been self inflicted and the decisions to treat the academy as a joke by a number of clubs or just do the bear minimum will I believe hurt them and the English, Welsh etc National teams. The RFL should in my opinion needs a massive review not just on SL but the whole structure of the game and see the damage that many recent decisions have and will cause many areas of the game in the future. The game and SL clubs who have the larger vote as Giwildgo mentions have been making short term selfish decisions which in the long term damage the game as a whole and the clubs themselves. Things need to change both at the RFL and the Pro game as well as in the amateur game. Wood and Rimmer amongst others are not the right people to have in charge at the RFL. The SL clubs are wrong to have so much power and vote on things that will harm the game in such a big way. But sadly I cant see much change in anything happening. The people in our game with the power are the ones slowly destroying it at a number of levels and its very sad to see.

Spot on. great post.

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Sometimrs, just sometimes we have to put a touch of faith in the decision makers, and not be so arrogant as to believe we know better so they must be incompetent.

The fact is that if the clubs cant afford to have so many youth teams then this is an issue and this may be the right solution.

I know my club are against the new solutiin, but the fact that Leeds and Wigan are for it gives me a certain amount of comfort.

#24 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Sometimrs, just sometimes we have to put a touch of faith in the decision makers, and not be so arrogant as to believe we know better so they must be incompetent.

The fact is that if the clubs cant afford to have so many youth teams then this is an issue and this may be the right solution.

I know my club are against the new solutiin, but the fact that Leeds and Wigan are for it gives me a certain amount of comfort.

The decision makers at the RFL and SL clubs have hardly a fantastic record of doing things for the benefit of the game. I am not sayinbg its easy and you will always get people unhappy with things. But the last few years has seen some very poor decisions that damage the game in many areas. May clubs should stop wasting money on Overseas players who often are not that good anyway and use some of that money on academy. Why couldnt Huddersfield send a U20 team to Wigan? They are not exactly short of cash with Davy there. And the foreigners that Cas and Salford for example brought in have not seen them get into the playoffs and I doubt the likes of Chase and Holdsworth would have been on little money. There is some good quality British lads out there that just need to be given more help and more chances to play at SL level.

#25 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Maybe there isnt as much talent out there as we think. Even clubs like Saints, Wigan and Leeds have signed averag overseas players ove recent years.
I dont doubt that the clubs could do more, but who knows, maybe by focusing on one academy team it will improve efforts.
On your overall point, the Rfl have received a hell of a lot of praise as a governibg body (not from rl fans naturally)

#26 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Maybe there isnt as much talent out there as we think. Even clubs like Saints, Wigan and Leeds have signed averag overseas players ove recent years.
I dont doubt that the clubs could do more, but who knows, maybe by focusing on one academy team it will improve efforts.

On your overall point, the Rfl have received a hell of a lot of praise as a governibg body (not from rl fans naturally)

Although I'm a consistent critic of the RFL over the years and a firm non-believer in Wood and Rimmer's competence, on this occasion the blame lies firmly with the clubs.

A cynic would say that third parties will always praise the RFL whilst it maintains the status quo and knows its place. Little brother syndrome.

Edited by giwildgo, 04 November 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#27 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

There will be less talent if this goes ahead and the SL teams abandon their development squads and just farm out a few surplus players to the feeder clubs. Maybe the shortage of money both in SL and in the compliant feeder teams has forced this situation into being but its dosn't bode well for future player development in my opinion.

#28 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

There will be less talent if this goes ahead and the SL teams abandon their development squads and just farm out a few surplus players to the feeder clubs. Maybe the shortage of money both in SL and in the compliant feeder teams has forced this situation into being but its dosn't bode well for future player development in my opinion.

But they won't be abandoning their development squads will they?

Apologies if I've missed something.

#29 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

The talent is out there but is often fed up with things. Gaz Widdop is a fine example. He was at the National camps for England at U16s etc and was on the Halifax Scholarship. But got fed up with the way things were and ended up jacking in playing Rugby League and played Union with his friends. It wasnt until he went to Australia and started playing League againg for Altona in the Victorian League that he found his enthuiasm again. I know there are other young lads that have been letdown or feel they have had enough with the way things are in the game and walked away. True you cant blame everything on clubs or the RFL but there are many things you can.

The RFL have done some great things like with mental health issues, homosexuality etc. And Richard Lewis certainly opened up the game and brought in much needed cash. And the awards they have picked up and praise as well is fully justified at them things. But there are other areas like the Stobart deal, the licences, the Challenge Cup free tickets, agreeing with the SL clubs about the academy changes, the likes of BJ Mather telling Championship clubs to get rid of Scholarships and generally making life difficult,The Crusaders fiasco, forcing amateur clubs to switch to summer, The Northampton Rebels, the axing of many development officers etc that have been very poorly handled and has hurt the game to an extent in many areas. Its these areas that I am talking about where the RFL have let the game down

#30 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

The talent is out there but is often fed up with things. Gaz Widdop is a fine example. He was at the National camps for England at U16s etc and was on the Halifax Scholarship. But got fed up with the way things were and ended up jacking in playing Rugby League and played Union with his friends. It wasnt until he went to Australia and started playing League againg for Altona in the Victorian League that he found his enthuiasm again.

He moved to Aus with his family at 16. I've never heard this story about him being fed up with things in the UK? Was it in an interview, if so if you could provide a link I'd be very interested to see what he said in full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users