Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

HETHERINGTON BELIEVES RHINOS WELL PLACED TO DEAL WITH CHANGING LANDSCAPE

Rhinos media release

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Leeds Rhinos Chief Executive Gary Hetherington believes the reigning World and Super League Champions are well placed to deal with the latest changes to the Rugby League landscape in the years ahead.

This season sees the Australian NRL competition begin a new television rights deal that has seen the game Down Under set new records for player salaries in the game of Rugby League with each club receiving Aus$7million (£4.5 million) in central funds alone. Coupled with that has been increased scrutiny regarding work visas in the UK in recent years and the strength of the pound against the Australian Dollar. That has set a challenge for Super League clubs with an equal number of players having moved from the NRL to Super League as have travelled in the opposite direction so far this close season.

Leeds Rhinos Chief Executive Gary Hetherington says that Super League clubs must now look to their own youth development programmes to unearth the stars of the future. He commented, “It has been well documented that we are looking to add a quality player to our squad for next season to replace Brent Webb, although not necessarily a full back. I have spoken to many NRL clubs directly and player agents and they are all aware of our situation however the likelihood is that our search may extend into the start of the next season. The landscape has changed in the Rugby League world and it has become particularly noticeable this close season.

“We are in an enviable position as reigning World and Super League Champions. We have a youth development system that year on year continues to develop people like Stevie Ward and Jimmy Keinhorst to follow in the footsteps of the many who have gone before. We have seven players in the current England team plus two more who represented the Knights and four players who toured with the England Academy squad who are yet to make their first team debuts. On top of this we have established Super League players in Jamie Peacock, Ryan Bailey, Danny McGuire, Brett Delaney, Kylie Leuluai, Darrell Griffin, Richard Moore and Ian Kirke. We were delighted to sign Mitch Achurch for next season from Penrith Panthers and clearly with the quality of player at our disposal anyone else joining us will need to be top class to add to that group,” added Hetherington.

The Chief Executive has revealed that Leeds will continue their search for new recruits but that there is no immediate rush to recruit and finding the right person for Leeds Rhinos remains the priority. He added, “The process of strengthening our squad is an ongoing one and not something that just happens at the end of each season. We are already planning for 2014 and beyond. We are constantly looking to add quality to our group but anyone we sign must be better than the players we already have. There are a number of key factors in recruitment which clearly starts with a player either being available, ie out of contract, or a club that is willing to release their player. Unlike some of our rivals, we have space within the salary cap to bring in players if and when they become available. That happened back in 2004 when we signed Ali Lauitiiti and in 2006 when we signed Clinton Toopi.

“Similarly, when Huddersfield helped us out in mid-season by loaning Shaun Lunt to us, all parties were fully aware that Shaun had three years to run on his Giants contract.

“At the moment we are at an exciting crossroads for the club with so many young, talented and British players in our squad. The backline for the Challenge Cup Final was the youngest ever to appear at Wembley. Those players need to be rewarded for their achievements to retain them at the club.

“We have a talented British coaching staff, headed up by Brian McDermott, and a youth development programme that is once again bearing fruit under the guiding hand of Barrie McDermott. As a club we have always been committed to developing the best young talent, that has been the corner stone of our success over the last decade, but we retain the option to bring in top class talent to supplement that if they are available. The majority of NRL clubs have not started back for pre-season yet and I am sure there will be some movement once teams have had the chance to look at their squads and perhaps need to free up space within their salary cap,” added Hetherington.

Head Coach Brian McDermott added, “We have a special culture here at the Rhinos which has been nurtured and developed for over a decade. Anyone we sign must not only add to the quality on the pitch for eighty minutes each week, they must also add value to the club as a whole.

“There is perhaps a need to change our mindset as a game in this country and understand the unique opportunity we have here for our game. I think this is an exciting time to be part of Super League. The factors in Australia along with our own quota system and the salary cap have weaned clubs off the reliance of bringing in overseas players to fill out their squad. You only need to look at the exciting young talent in the England squad to see how that has allowed clubs to give young players the chance to shine. As well as these players, who have come through the Academy systems at club level, players from the Championship have also shown their ability to perform at the highest level when you think of people like Zak Hardaker and Chris Hill.

“Added to this emergence of young players, is clubs giving British coaches the chance to do the top jobs and, a year out from a home World Cup, the 2013 Super League season looks set to be the one that is most recognisably our own domestic competition,” added McDermott.

Phil Daly
Media and PR Manager
Leeds Rhinos

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,653 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Instead of all that hot air, maybe Hetherington ought to talk about changing the landscape at Headingley by covering the Western terrace for away fans. Even Wakey have managed that.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Instead of all that hot air, maybe Hetherington ought to talk about changing the landscape at Headingley by covering the Western terrace for away fans. Even Wakey have managed that.

*yawn*

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

It's difficult to argue with much of what he says. As a Wakey fan it pains me to say it, but Leeds are the model for what a Super League club should be. If the other 13 clubs were to their standard on and off the field we'd be a lot better off.

The original article showed the number of players from the NRL who have signed for SL clubs this close season. It's about a dozen, with a similar number going to the NRL.

Does anyone have any stats that show the number of NRL players in SL over the past few years?

The number must have dropped dramatically over the past 4-5 years, since we've had the requirement for clubs to have an increasing number of club trained or federation trained players, and the number of former NRL players who were exempt have dwindled as players have retired.

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

The original article showed the number of players from the NRL who have signed for SL clubs this close season. It's about a dozen, with a similar number going to the NRL.

Here it is:
From NRL to Super League for 2013
[b]From NRL to Super League for 2013
Name						    From						 To
Zeb Taia							Newcastle Knights							Catalan Dragons
Evan Tuimavare							Newcastle Knights							Hull KR
Corey Paterson							NQ Cowboys							Hull KR
Travis Burns							Penrith Panthers							Hull KR
Mitch Achurch							Penrith Panthers							Leeds Rhinos
Justin Poore							Parramatta Eels							Wakefield Wildcats
Justin Carey							Sydney Roosters							Castleford Tigers
Ukuma Ta'ai							NZ Warriors							Huddersfield Giants
Gareth Ellis							Wests Tigers							Hull FC			
From Super League to NRL 2013
Name						 From						 To
Tommy Leuluai							Wigan Warriors							NZ Warriors
Brett Finch							Wigan Warriors							Melbourne Storm
Matthew Russell							Wigan Warriors							Gold Coast Titans
Jeff Lima							Wigan Warriors							South Sydney
Tom Burgess							Bradford Bulls							South Sydney
Sam Moa							Hull FC							Sydney Roosters
David Fa'alogo							Huddersfield Giants							Newcastle Knights
Scott Moore							Huddersfield Giants							NQ Cowboys
Clint Greenshields							Catalan Dragons							NQ Cowboys			

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Is that still the best you can do?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#7 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Don't Hetherington want to pay the players even less than they are on now?

#8 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

One thing is for certain while Hetherington is the gaffer,there is no danger of breaking the cap
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Surely all you fearless trawlermen aren't bothered by a spot of rain?
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#10 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,653 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

*yawn*

Is that still the best you can do?

Surely all you fearless trawlermen aren't bothered by a spot of rain?

:D

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#11 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

only if hull give visiting fans a standing area instead of herding them into seats
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#12 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,653 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

only if hull give visiting fans a standing area instead of herding them into seats

Interesting way of putting it. Frankly, I'd love to be herded into covered seats at all grounds, esp. Headingly.

Each to their own I guess.

#13 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Interesting way of putting it. Frankly, I'd love to be herded into covered seats at all grounds, esp. Headingly.

Each to their own I guess.

Nothing to stop you sitting down at headingley.Good conduct is all that is required
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#14 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,653 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Nothing to stop you sitting down at headingley.Good conduct is all that is required

I usually do if the weather is of the inclement variety and I can pluck up the courage to spend an extra fiver.

Mind you, the last time I sat down I ended up next to the most irritating slaphead of a Leeds "fan" I've ever had the displeasure of meeting.

After several of his attempts at humour and realising he hadn't much of a clue about RL in general, I ventured to ask him if the seat I was in (next to him) was usually empty. When he replied in the affirmative, I responded with "That doesn't really surprise me", before me and my pal went and sat elsewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users