RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Folau Back

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 13,949 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Izzy Folau is returning to the fold. While in AFL he got good money - reputedly $1 million a season - his on field experience wasn't what he's have wanted.

It's rumoured that Eels are the front runners to sign him.

Will be interesting to see which club grabs him and whether he'll come back in as good a form as when he left NRL

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 G Las D

G Las D
  • 13,949 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

One article I read speculates that he will come back to League a better athlete:

But the other way of looking at it is this: In that two years Folau became better conditioned aerobically while learning to catch, kick and look for space - which can't hurt his rugby league in all, especially at fullback.

When Folau left rugby league he weighed 104kg; now he's 97kg and his body fat trimmed from 7 per cent to 4 per cent.

Read more: http://www.foxsports...3#ixzz2B9o2Pjd2

#3 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

One article I read speculates that he will come back to League a better athlete:

No doubt he will have to bulk back up for RL. AFL does not require the explosive strength needed in League. His defusing of bombs may have got better but from what I remember he was good in the air anyway.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#4 G Las D

G Las D
  • 13,949 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

No doubt he will have to bulk back up for RL. AFL does not require the explosive strength needed in League. His defusing of bombs may have got better but from what I remember he was good in the air anyway.

... could make a good full back.

A report I read from the AFL was unkind to say the least about some of his performances in that game.

#5 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hmm ?
Izzy was leaving Storm because his parents wanted him to complete his mormon 'mission'.
Then it became the Broncos,so he could be close to family.
Not sure what rationale was used to justify a code he had no skill at ?
Living in AFL central I don't think I've ever heard a kind word in the media about him as a player ?
As I said when I shook hands with him at his last Storm game - Good Luck Izzy !
I'm afraid this time he's going to need more of it.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#6 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hmm ?
Izzy was leaving Storm because his parents wanted him to complete his mormon 'mission'.
Then it became the Broncos,so he could be close to family.
Not sure what rationale was used to justify a code he had no skill at ?
Living in AFL central I don't think I've ever heard a kind word in the media about him as a player ?
As I said when I shook hands with him at his last Storm game - Good Luck Izzy !
I'm afraid this time he's going to need more of it.

400K/yr in the NRL
1+M/year in the AFL.

Are you aware about tithing in the Mormon church? It was obvious from the start he was pressured into it. Look at how often he says he did it for his family.

#7 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Not yet he is not.

He has signed a 1 year contract to play rugby union in the super rugby comp with the New South Wales Waratahs. Rumour has it he is waiting to see if his old Melbourne Storm coach Graig Bellamy will sign with the St George Illawarra Dragons for the 2014 season and beyond as he wants to play under Bellamy again.
Posted Image

#8 G Las D

G Las D
  • 13,949 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Rumour has it he is waiting to see if his old Melbourne Storm coach Graig Bellamy will sign with the St George Illawarra Dragons for the 2014 season and beyond as he wants to play under Bellamy again

I hope then that he's thwarted all ends up in that little plan.

#9 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Folau will be back in a Melbourne storm jumper in 2014
Posted Image

#10 G Las D

G Las D
  • 13,949 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

I saw an article that said Bulldogs were after him for 2014 as they had money to spare under salary cap.

Edited by G Las D, 12 March 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#11 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

Bulldogs are always after everybody that they can buy. Folau needs a coach of the stature of Bellamy or Bennett to get the best out of him. In saying that Hasler is not far behind Bellamy & Bennett and closing in fast.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users