Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

And the Stonewall Sport of the Year is...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,446 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

[drum roll]

[irritatingly long pause]

RUGBY LEAGUE!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Wouldn't mind hearing more about what the RL did specifically to win this award. All good news though and makes me really proud especially as it seems football is still stuck in the 1960's.

#3 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

RFL media release

RFL win Stonewall Sports Award of the Year

Rugby League’s work in embracing inclusivity and tackling homophobia has been recognised by the RFL receiving the prestigious Stonewall Sports Award of the Year.

The award, which celebrates the impact and contribution of sporting organisations and athletes in breaking down the barriers of lesbian, gay and bisexual (LGB) inclusivity in the sporting environment, was presented at a gala dinner at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London last night (Thursday November 1).

The RFL beat off stiff competition from medal winning Team GB Olympians Carl Hester and Lee Pearson CBE and Team GB Paralympian Claire Harvey to clinch the award, which comes less than 12 months after the RFL climbed 40 places in the Stonewall Top 100 Employers Index to be named in 53rd position.

“As a sport we are delighted, honoured and proud that we have been chosen as the winner of the Stonewall Sports Award, particularly given the outstanding field of nominees including successful Olympians,” said RFL Equality and Diversity Manager Sarah Williams.

“The award is the result of four years work by the RFL and the wider sport to engage with LGB communities and to tackle homophobia in sport. This has been a genuine team effort, from our Chief Executive Nigel Wood, former Chairman Richard Lewis, the executive team and staff in all areas of the business and of course our clubs, coaches and players.

“The RFL and our clubs have been responsible for some truly groundbreaking events; Oldham, Sheffield Eagles, Super League teams Leeds Rhinos and London Broncos have all dedicated games to LGB inclusion and players like Matt Cook from the London Broncos have embraced the opportunity to make a public stand and say that homophobia has no place in Rugby League or for that matter in any sport.

"We have led the way among sports organisations in recent years, introducing the 'Tackle It!' programme, undertaken research into homophobia in sport programmes and launched a school education resource to support the 'Tackle It!' campaign and stonewall's work to end homophobic bullying."

Stonewall Chief Executive Ben Summerskill said: “The RFL has led the way in tackling homophobia in sport. The commendable work done by the governing body and teams like the Sheffield Eagles and the Leeds Rhinos will help prove that no sport need tolerate homophobia.

“Gay Rugby League fans across the country will be proud to know that anyone can aspire to join a team and play the game.”
-ends-

Nathan Clarke
Media Executive

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,446 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

A bit more detail here.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Grebo Guru

Grebo Guru
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Great news! I haven't seen anything in the mainstream media yet.

A well deserved award for Keith O'Brien too!

#6 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Who needs than 'mail stream' media when using our Social Media accounts we can get this article infront of millions of people?

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,446 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

'Grebo' - there's a word I haven't come across in a long long time!

#8 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Really great work and it continues the glorious tradition our game has of transcending (or even not seeing) boundaries.

#9 Grebo Guru

Grebo Guru
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

'Grebo' - there's a word I haven't come across in a long long time!

Showing my age!

#10 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

The RFL beat off stiff competition

Bwahaha!

Seriously though, well done.

#11 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,924 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

in today's Indie.

this award is something to be very proud of.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 02 November 2012 - 05:52 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#12 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Great work from the RFL

These are the days to be proud of our sport - especially next to the FA

#13 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,537 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Great work from the RFL

These are the days to be proud of our sport - especially next to the FA

Well said!!

The fa are a total joke and Chelsea need kicking out of the premier league if the recent events are unfounded

#14 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

in today's Indie.

Buried deep within an article headed "Britain s most senior catholic named bigot of the year"

Still, you can't have everything but very well deserved nonetheless.

The rugby award, that is :-)

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Rugby League’s work in embracing inclusivity and tackling homophobia has been recognised by the RFL receiving the prestigious Stonewall Sports Award of the Year.

The RFL beat off stiff competition from medal winning Team GB Olympians Carl Hester and Lee Pearson CBE

He said it, not me. B)

Edited by Wolford6, 02 November 2012 - 09:06 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#16 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

On a related topic, on Wednesday night, ITV4 showed a programme about the life Gareth Thomas.

It was all there - the Wales RU caps, the British RU Lions, the 'coming out' period, the film making with Mickey Rourke.
One part of his life and career was airbrushed and totally missing, from either the life story or the collage of rugby clips. Guess which part?

#17 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

On a related topic, on Wednesday night, ITV4 showed a programme about the life Gareth Thomas.

It was all there - the Wales RU caps, the British RU Lions, the 'coming out' period, the film making with Mickey Rourke.
One part of his life and career was airbrushed and totally missing, from either the life story or the collage of rugby clips. Guess which part?

I've just seen it and am equally annoyed that they didnt e.g. show his try for Wales RL in Albi. Must be because it was ITV who generally have the RU world cup rights

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

I have to agree about that ITV documentary. Not mentioning Gareth's time in RL was an absolute disgrace. We took him in and appreciated what he had to offer as a man and as a player.

I hope that Gareth will appear in the media to address and comment on the issue.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#19 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,924 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Buried deep within an article headed "Britain s most senior catholic named bigot of the year"

Still, you can't have everything but very well deserved nonetheless.

The rugby award, that is :-)

it was, but it was there all the same

I thought the contrast between RL's award and the bigot of the hear award was telling all the same.
It would have been nicer if the article had been given a positive spin by bigging up RL's and others contribution rather than that disgusting man's bigot of the year award.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#20 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

I think Stonewall should credit Selby Warriors ARLFC as well, when signing on now amateur players have a box to fill in regarding sexual orientation, the latest audit showed over 90% of our players are either gay or bi-sexual with a further 5% prefering not to say

Edited by LOWFIELD, 03 November 2012 - 09:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users