League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

And the Stonewall Sport of the Year is...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#21 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

I have to agree about that ITV documentary. Not mentioning Gareth's time in RL was an absolute disgrace. We took him in and appreciated what he had to offer as a man and as a player.

I hope that Gareth will appear in the media to address and comment on the issue.

Can anyone clarify if Gareth Thomas played RU after he came out? I thought he was playing in France but then stopped playing for a while before coming to RL. I read his article in L'Equipe magazine (he was on the front cover) just after he came out.

#22 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,667 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Can anyone clarify if Gareth Thomas played RU after he came out? I thought he was playing in France but then stopped playing for a while before coming to RL. I read his article in L'Equipe magazine (he was on the front cover) just after he came out.

I seem to remember he played on, at least for some games, because I remember a few stomach-churning articles about how only in rugger would he receive such a fabulous reception as he did.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#23 sgorpioncaerdyddrob

sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

he played for Cardiff Blues in Toulouse the same day the story broke here and played fairly regularly for the team up until about a month or so before his move as he was out injured.
Cardiff Demons ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc
Cardiff Spartans ARLFC www.pitchero.com/clubs/southcoastspartans

Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth! BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS......!

#24 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

I have to agree about that ITV documentary. Not mentioning Gareth's time in RL was an absolute disgrace. We took him in and appreciated what he had to offer as a man and as a player.

I hope that Gareth will appear in the media to address and comment on the issue.

He did tweet about it the following day, saying he had no influence on the programmes editing and how much he enjoyed and appreciated RL.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#25 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

I think Stonewall should credit Selby Warriors ARLFC as well, when signing on now amateur players have a box to fill in regarding sexual orientation, the latest audit showed over 90% of our players are either gay or bi-sexual with a further 5% prefering not to say

sorry but i think that shows how little progress has been made in general when that question still needs to be asked as if it makes any difference at all as to the worth of a person .
when filing in forms i refuse to answer any questions on race , religion or sexual orentation on the grounds that as far as i am concerned it does not matter and we are all equal .
i do except that i may be very much in a minority
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#26 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

when filing in forms i refuse to answer any questions on race , religion or sexual orentation on the grounds that as far as i am concerned it does not matter and we are all equal .

I take the same approach. Application forms for jobs annoy me the most because although by law organisations are not allowed to determine your suitability for employment on such matters as gender, race, etc, more and more often the so-called 'equal opportunities monitoring' form is integrated within the application form. I still leave it blank.

#27 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

it was, but it was there all the same

I thought the contrast between RL's award and the bigot of the hear award was telling all the same.
It would have been nicer if the article had been given a positive spin by bigging up RL's and others contribution rather than that disgusting man's bigot of the year award.

My point exactly.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#28 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,767 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

sorry but i think that shows how little progress has been made in general when that question still needs to be asked as if it makes any difference at all as to the worth of a person .

That's all well and good and are laudable intentions. However, in reality people do face discrimination. So being able to say 'there are X gay players actively playing RL today' could be used to illustrate that you are also welcome to play or support the game.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#29 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

That's all well and good and are laudable intentions. However, in reality people do face discrimination. So being able to say 'there are X gay players actively playing RL today' could be used to illustrate that you are also welcome to play or support the game.

your comment illustrates the point well when you say YOU ARE ALSO WELCOME TO PLAY OR SUPPORT THE GAME. to me its a given that our game is open to everyone regrdless of gender/race/religion or sexual preference.

as i said i do realise i am in the minority but that does not devalue my own opinion or indeed yours
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#30 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

I don't wish anyone any harm but if ever gay marriage comes in and i'm asked if i'm married I would have to go out of my way and say YES to a WOMAN though.

#31 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

I don't wish anyone any harm but if ever gay marriage comes in and i'm asked if i'm married I would have to go out of my way and say YES to a WOMAN though.

I'm sorry but that's just perverse.

Have you never shared a flat or house with a bloke and referred to him as my flatmate? People do this all the time these days with people of all genders - it's just not necessary to be specific.

Nor should anyone, including you, care what sex of person you are married to.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

I've got nothing against gayists but I very much care what sex of person I am married to.

#33 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Anyway on topic (and seriously) I don't know why people have to spoil threads like this with jokes about gay sex. It sort of undermines the award.

#34 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,767 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

your comment illustrates the point well when you say YOU ARE ALSO WELCOME TO PLAY OR SUPPORT THE GAME. to me its a given that our game is open to everyone regrdless of gender/race/religion or sexual preference.

as i said i do realise i am in the minority but that does not devalue my own opinion or indeed yours

I wasn't devaluing your opinion, not for a second. Just pointing out that whilst you may assume everyone doesn't judge people on their race or sexual preference, plenty do.

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,767 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Good job you put 'woman' in large type, otherwise we might have thought you were actually married to a man. :)

#36 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,141 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

Sounds like you are married to your right hand ;)
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#37 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Look it's like when some official asks you if you've got a partner,me not liking all this PC gargabe says no,I havn't got a partner i've got a wife.Same when filling in forms.

#38 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

I have a partner, not a wife, not sure what else to call her really.

Actually a few things spring to mind...

Edited by Bleep1673, 05 November 2012 - 11:30 AM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#39 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,527 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Great to see RL get this award.

Shame to see the way this thread turned out after a good start. <_<

Locked.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com