Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dureau will qualify for France next year

Need a half back for sure

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

Just wondering if Dureau will qualify for France in time for the World Cup? He has been first class for Catalans and could really steer the French around the park.

France will never improve until they get dominant half-backs playing for them. Kicking game was really poor today and it costs them tonnes of metres per game. When Bosc is the only man - he is a target for the defence.

If we can pick Rangi Chase etc. then France would be silly not to approach Dureau IMO.

#2 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

If Pelissier can make himself into a starting hooker that would make a big difference too. France's ruck speed with Bentley at 9 was not nearly quick enough to trouble England, but at times they looked decent when Pelissier was on.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#3 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

If Pelissier can make himself into a starting hooker that would make a big difference too. France's ruck speed with Bentley at 9 was not nearly quick enough to trouble England, but at times they looked decent when Pelissier was on.

I agree. Pelissier should get far more game time. He really troubles teams when he comes on because he is a running threat to defences. Bosc is just too exposed playing there - he needs some support.

#4 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

great way to improve the french national team........................just ship in antipodeans!! at least wales picked the vast majority of their team from WELSH born players.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 03 November 2012 - 08:17 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#5 Dean

Dean
  • Coach
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

great way to improve the french national team........................just ship in antipodeans!! at least wales picked the vast majority of their team from WELSH born players.

Definitely a great way to improve the French team ans at the same time give England some meaningful opposition.

There haven't been many antipodeans in the French team ever. Currently fewer than in England's first choice team.

Were there no Englishmen in the Wales team over the last few years?

#6 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

i am sure i said the VAST MAJORITY of the welsh team this year were actually welsh!! and no i don't agree with england picking antipodeans either apart from gareth widdop who is born and bred english anyway.

the argument to having a french team in super league was to improve the quality of the french national team, not draft in antipodeans like some are advocating for the future!!

Edited by Viking Warrior, 03 November 2012 - 10:00 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#7 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

But everyone else is doing it so they would be silly not to take advantage of the rules.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#8 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Out of that French team today if you took out Bosc, Pelissier, Casty and Elima you have a Championship quality side.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#9 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

so where is the improvement that catalans being in super league was supposed to bring???????

#10 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

And how could French RL sustain a second SL Club?

#11 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

so where is the improvement that catalans being in super league was supposed to bring???????

I answered this on another thread. What would the score have been yesterday had England played a fully part-time France who flew over the day before because everyone was at work all week? Bosc, Casty and Pellisier etc. would probably be playing RU if it wasn't for Catalns. Having 20-25 full-time French players has kept them in the hunt - even though they are still off the pace - and given young players a career path. It is now a necessity to take it on to the next level by giving France a pool of 40-50 full-time players to pick from.

France are currently having to pick players who have played less than half a dozen first grade games in the national team. Could you imagine a third of the England side being picked from the Championship or SL novices?

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Dureau is an ethnic French name in any event. He might qualify through the grandparent rule. However, he might feel that he is in with a chance of being picked for Australia and so hold off on declaring for France.

#13 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

There are one or two other top class players in the French game. Fakir, for example. Also I don't know what happened to Baile who always seemed to look good to me when I saw him.

I think the SL has given an opportunity for those players to develop into top class players and another team would allow others the opportunity to develop as well. The Catalans play a lot of non French players, but they have to balance being competitive with developing French players.

How else will the French develop without having professional teams?

#14 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

There are one or two other top class players in the French game. Fakir, for example. Also I don't know what happened to Baile who always seemed to look good to me when I saw him.

I think the SL has given an opportunity for those players to develop into top class players and another team would allow others the opportunity to develop as well. The Catalans play a lot of non French players, but they have to balance being competitive with developing French players.

How else will the French develop without having professional teams?

This. Think of a young kid growing up in the Toulouse area. If there is a full-time RL career path on your door step you might think about joining a junior club if your game is more suited to RL. You can dream of playing at Old Trafford or Wembley. If not, you just roll up at Toulouse RU and get dazzled by the Heineken Cup etc.

The potential French internationals of 5-10 years time may not even be thinking of playing RL at this moment.

#15 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Are you trying to say that the French haven't improved?
Was you expecting them to be world beaters with only a handful of starting SL players, another handful of fringe SL players, and a final handful of part time players?
Posted Image

#16 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

And how could French RL sustain a second SL Club?

Because they have money, a playing pool, a stadium, supporters...

Are you putting the cart before the horse and expecting then to have quality players BEFORE they've got enough teams?!
Posted Image

#17 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Dureau is an ethnic French name in any event. He might qualify through the grandparent rule. However, he might feel that he is in with a chance of being picked for Australia and so hold off on declaring for France.

At 26 and with another 3+ years on his contract at Catalans he won't be playing in Origin or for the Kangaroos anytime soon.

Edited by Scubby, 04 November 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#18 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

At 26 and with another 3+ years on his contract at Catalans he won't be playing in Origin or for the Kangaroos anytime soon.

Ok, I can't dispute that. In which case it's good news for France.

#19 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

So England beat France comfortably (without murdering them by any stretch), in a game in England, with a referee who favoured England, in which France had three players taken off. This naturally means that anything the Catalans have done is in vain, and the French game is dead.

Good of RL fans not to jerk the knee.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#20 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

I just can't see a reason now why Toulouse shouldn't be in super league. Another 10 potential French full time players and the England score line is reduced by 15 points at least. Put it in France and we may have a test match.
I love how super league clubs are taking the best welsh kids on board now, if it continues and we have a Toulouse in super league then what a tri nations we could have on the BBC.
waddell