Championship

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LondonTown

LondonTown
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Just how much of a step up is the Championship? With not having Premier Sports i can honestly say not seen that much of teams in this league.
The names in the majority of the squad lists don't mean much to me.
I think we can only concentrate on ourselves.
Will there be much better packs of forwards than ours (with a couple more additions)? Or is that the standard for most of the teams in this league?
I think we all know a lack of qualiy at half back was the achilles heal for us last year. If we can sort that is it realistic to expect a top 6 finish or will we fighting a relegation battle?
What do people think?

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

It's a tough league , with consistent strengthening across the board due to the dual reg / link up system and natural reinforcement of the top teams. There's a lot of unknowns and uncertainties due to the SL influx , weaker teams this year may be injected big style . You won't know till we kick off who's benefited most and who's got the duds . We've just got to look after ourselves , but I don't think we can just look at this years table and judge from that , because the squads may be very different . It's a new ball game with the SL grip on teams , plus SL loans , but the only certainty is its made it a hell of a lot tougher. Great watching though , loads of quality on show . Got to get your share to compete.

#3 LondonTown

LondonTown
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

I agree and I think there will be at least one surprise package with so many dual reg players availalbe. If we can pick up two or three quality players plus a couple of "Dave Peterson" standard dual reg then that could be us.
With the board being excellent in the last few years at picking up the right players and the coaches doing a great job I am optimistic of a steady season

#4 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Steady's good . It's gonna be a league for us with targeted games and the importance of home form in particular , because winning away is gonna be hard work . And we may be targeting teams , but remember every other team will be targeting us ! I think our recruitment in terms of quality is just fine , keep getting the standard we have been and steady is on .

Edited by DavidM, 03 November 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#5 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Just how much of a step up is the Championship? With not having Premier Sports i can honestly say not seen that much of teams in this league.
The names in the majority of the squad lists don't mean much to me.
I think we can only concentrate on ourselves.
Will there be much better packs of forwards than ours (with a couple more additions)? Or is that the standard for most of the teams in this league?
I think we all know a lack of qualiy at half back was the achilles heal for us last year. If we can sort that is it realistic to expect a top 6 finish or will we fighting a relegation battle?
What do people think?

The sixth spot is up for grabs IMO the top 5 will be the same as this year don't know what order though. And like I said 6th onwards is a lottery at the moment I think.

Edited by thundergaz, 03 November 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#6 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

I think survival is a primary objective and we will be fine. If we can be the top placed team out of the 4 going up then I will be very happy with that. 10Th upwards and it will be mission accomplished for our 1st season up there.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#7 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Finishing in the top 10 would be a great result for any of the 4 promoted teams in their first year up. Super League has had a big influence on this next seasons Championship with their linking up with Championship clubs and it could go down to who receives the best quality players from a SL club, which in my view does affect the integrity of the competition.

The top Championship clubs - Fev, Sheffield and I think Halifax - have chosen not to get involved in this system but how many of the others can afford not to get involved. Once one Championship club had taken hold of this particular nettle then it became a race to ensure other clubs weren't left behind. I still maintain that the system starts off giving Cumbria a disadvantage because of the distance between our clubs and the SL clubs, the nearest to us being Wigan at 120 miles.

I can see some benefits of training facilities, use of physios, sports science, etc, for the likes of Dewsbury's link up with Bradford, Leigh with Wigan, or even Swinton's link with Warrington on top of loans of players because they don't have the travel problem. Cumbria clubs are likely to get loan of players but how often can ou teams travel to the SL club for the other benefits that are being talked about. I noted that Dave Woods at Haven was saying tt they may hire a coach to take the squad down to St Helens for a training session, but how often can a club afford to do that!!

So, with so many extra ingredients in the mix this next season I look forward to how it rolls out but with some trepidation until we know the full playing squads of the teams involved. I just hope that we have a squad good enough for that top 10 irrespective of whether or not we have jumped in to bed with a SL club.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#8 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

fev leigh fax sheffield and batley the best by a mile then its see whos best of the rest dewsbury seem to be the strongest so far hunslet could do well with 5 leeds players every week the league gets stronger every year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users