Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Could the Championship clubs get involved in the World Cup

warm up options for clubs

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

But such games could help promote the up and coming world cup. Rugby League has always been a game that has not followed everybody else. So Soccer and Union dont do it. No reason why League cant. In fact it may help some of the smaller nations to help pay for expenses by taking a certain percentage from a warm up game. It could be that some players havent had a real game for over 2 months. I am sure that such warm up games would not damage or detract attention away from the WC but instead help bring interest to it.

#22 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

Swinton also played Papua New Guinea on their first ever tour of the UK. Swinton won, of course :D
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#23 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

But such games could help promote the up and coming world cup. Rugby League has always been a game that has not followed everybody else. So Soccer and Union dont do it. No reason why League cant. In fact it may help some of the smaller nations to help pay for expenses by taking a certain percentage from a warm up game. It could be that some players havent had a real game for over 2 months. I am sure that such warm up games would not damage or detract attention away from the WC but instead help bring interest to it.

I'm sure the teams will have warm up games, just not in England and Wales (unless they're England and Wales, of course). We are rugby league, and that means that we often don't follow others, but I get the impression that the game's authorities - that is, mainly, the RFL - are determined to hold as successful a tournament as possible. And that means following accepted best practice, which seems to be happening from what I've been seeing.

One of the principles the organisers will guided by will be that the tournament must be seen as a special event, something that is only seen every four years, and only every 8 years in the northern hemisphere. This isn't the run-of-the-mill domestic scene, good as it is, but a gathering of the best players from the best rugby playing nations in the world. Something that is exclusive, something that you must go out of your way to get to see. It is obvious this time that the organisers are doing as much as they can to maximise attendances and, when it comes to the nations outside of the big three, one of the big selling points will be curiosity. 1995, and the arrival of Fiji illustrates this perfectly. We'd always reckoned that the Fijians had what it took to be an RL playing nation, and that seemed to be confirmed at Keighley when they gave South Africa a battering, perfectly setting up the fixture at Wigan against England. 26,000 of us turned up to that game, partly out of curiosity, because they were new, but also because we thought we might just see an upset.

Now it didn't turn out like that, and England dealt with them quite comfortably, but if they'd have played some second division team as their first fixture on these shores, and been turned over, then their selling power would have been greatly reduced. "If Batley, or Dewsbury, or Rochdale can beat them then what the hell will England and Australia do to them" would have been a typical reaction.

No, if you want to see the international teams that are coming next year then you are going to have to buy tickets for the world cup itself.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#24 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

I take your point but the travel would already be paid for so there wouldbe a saving there.

Who do you think would be paying for that? You would be happy for the WC to make a loss for the sake of a few miniscule heartland clubs being able to host a meaningless game against an international side?

The idea of club sides playing international sides is as old as international RL itself. Every, Kangeroo, Kiwi and Lions tour featured more games against club sides than against test match opposition.

RL used to have rucks, mauls and contested scrums too. That doesn't mean it's a good thing or should be brought back. As far as I'm concerned, international RL began in earnest in about 2003 with the adaptation of a proper structure and constitution. Before that (and still today to some extent), it was a disorganized, shambolic mess and hardly the best example to cite for the future of the sport. 'Tours' are irrelevant and I wish people would get over that.

Edited by Evil Homer, 06 November 2012 - 07:08 AM.

#25 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Who do you think would be paying for that? You would be happy for the WC to make a loss for the sake of a few miniscule heartland clubs being able to host a meaningless game against an international side?
RL used to have rucks, mauls and contested scrums too. That doesn't mean it's a good thing or should be brought back. As far as I'm concerned, international RL began in earnest in about 2003 with the adaptation of a proper structure and constitution. Before that (and still today to some extent), it was a disorganized, shambolic mess and hardly the best example to cite for the future of the sport. 'Tours' are irrelevant and I wish people would get over that.

What do you mean by asking who would be paying for the travel.? These countries are coming to the World Cup whether they play extra fixtures or not. That expense would be paid for regardless, so, the point I am making, is that there would be no additional expense for travel for any games against club sides as they would be in the UK anyway whereas, if they organised all the fixtures you propose in their own countries ( which I am not against ) there would be considerable extra expense for travel and accomodation and they would still have to pay to get to the UK for the WC.

You are sadly deluded about tours. They were hugely successful bringing capacity attendances regularly. The last one I went to at Wilderspool, Warrington V Australia was all ticket and sold out.

The whole future of the game both in this country and Australia was saved by the Old Golds tours to the UK and the Northern Union to Australia. They made huge profits and everybody benefitted.

The main reason they do not take place today is because the switch to summer rugby meant that the Aussie/NZ seasons and the UK seasons take place at the same time. The tours used to take place when the touring team's country was in the offseason.

#26 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

What do you mean by asking who would be paying for the travel.? These countries are coming to the World Cup whether they play extra fixtures or not. That expense would be paid for regardless, so, the point I am making, is that there would be no additional expense for travel for any games against club sides as they would be in the UK anyway whereas, if they organised all the fixtures you propose in their own countries ( which I am not against ) there would be considerable extra expense for travel and accomodation and they would still have to pay to get to the UK for the WC.

Unless you are suggesting that nations should play a Championship team and then play a WC match with one or two days rest, they would have to stay an extra week in order to play a warm-up match in this country. It really is not practical logistically or financially before we even think about the negative implications for the tournament itself.

You are sadly deluded about tours. They were hugely successful bringing capacity attendances regularly. The last one I went to at Wilderspool, Warrington V Australia was all ticket and sold out.

The whole future of the game both in this country and Australia was saved by the Old Golds tours to the UK and the Northern Union to Australia. They made huge profits and everybody benefitted.

The main reason they do not take place today is because the switch to summer rugby meant that the Aussie/NZ seasons and the UK seasons take place at the same time. The tours used to take place when the touring team's country was in the offseason.

You and other fans may have nice memories, they may have served a good purpose in the past and I'm not denying that, but 'tours' as you are describing are not relevant in 2012 and don't have a place in the future of the sport. The sooner people realise this the better.

Edited by Evil Homer, 06 November 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#27 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Agreed.

1990 Kangaroos UK Tour was in many ways a record tour and the biggest and best of recent years. Here are the tour match crowds.

v Saints 15219
V Wakefield: 7724
v Wigan 24814
v Cumbria 6750
v Leeds 16037
v Warrington 10200
v Castleford 9033
v Halifax 8730
v Hull 13081
v Widnes 14666

Rothmans does not seem to indicate squad size and it may be of course that to play tour games, the Aussies would have to bring a bigger squad..which surprise surprise...would cost more.

Edited by JohnM, 07 November 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#28 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Agreed.

1990 Kangaroos UK Tour was in many ways a record tour and the biggest and best of recent years. Here are the tour match crowds.

v Saints 15219
V Wakefield: 7724
v Wigan 24814
v Cumbria 6750
v Leeds 16037
v Warrington 10200
v Castleford 9033
v Halifax 8730
v Hull 13081
v Widnes 14666

Rothmans does not seem to indicate squad size and it may be of course that to play tour games, the Aussies would have to bring a bigger squad..which surprise surprise...would cost more.

That's not a tour, that's a few days away. Look at some of the early tours and the Kangaroos and Kiwis are here for virtually the whole season, playing every club and every type of representative team possible: England, Wales, Northern Union, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cumberland...
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users