Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dobson to hull fc ?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

I'd share a ground to be honest

I've always thought a shared ground near Normanton would have been the ideal place.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#42 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,859 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

1. Before posting drivel please check the facts,

2. The figure Steve set was 7000 viking stronghold members., and it was not a break even figure it was a projection to allow the club to compete for the best players available.

1. Before being pig ignorant and abusive please read my posts which acknowledge I was not fully sure of the facts so I asked nice and politely for corrections.

2. Thank you very much indeed for the interesting "corrections". We can move forward with a bit more accuracy thanks to your kind help.

just a couple of questions if I may trouble you please by good man.

Does "competing for the best players available" mean being able to spend full cap without going into debt?? Because if it does then that is the same as being able to "break even".

Does being able to outbid Wigan On KB prove Mr. O'Connor can now outbid Wigan on gate income?

Edited by The Parksider, 06 November 2012 - 06:48 AM.

#43 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,859 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Whilst the RFL have made a game attempt at promoting good practice through licensing, it's clearly not worked as well as it could or should have done.

Thanks for your post and opinions. I think there is a lot of confusion as regards licensing when it comes to wether it has worked or not.

It really depends on what it is supposed to do.

All I can be sure of is it is supposed to pick the best 14 clubs for superleague.

That doesn't mean that it will pick 14 sustainable businesses all spending full cap.

Any clubs who materially look to have been "bad choices" need to be measured against the alternatives the licensing committe missed out.

Wakefield went into Administration but remain one of the 14 best choices.

Bradford did the same but who is a better choice who did not get in than a Khan led Bradford?

Crusaders didn't last long but their effect on RL in Wales including the legacy of two Championship welsh clubs was worth the short ride as opposed to some other small M62 club who equally would not have lasted long in SL.

#44 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'm one of the minority (well I get the impression it's a minortiy) of Hull fans who thought the club did the right thing by not offering Dobson a contract when he'd gone back to Canberra.

Trouble is, I was daft enough to think we'd make a move for somebody better. He's a far better player than anybody we've had subsequently. I also think he's a better player than he was then and you give him credit for. Sandercock got him to take on the line a lot more last season and he was very effective when doing so.

At risk of discussing the actual thread topic, my major concern if I were a Hull fan would be that he's an almost identical player to Holdsworth. In fact I'm struggling to think of a difference between the two.

Dobson is a good player, excellent on his day, I just don't get the mythology that seems to surround him when I read his name on Hull FC/KR forums. It's a very similar hysteria to that which followed Cooke, who was also decent but no worldbeater. As I said, he'll do a decent job.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#45 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

At risk of discussing the actual thread topic, my major concern if I were a Hull fan would be that he's an almost identical player to Holdsworth. In fact I'm struggling to think of a difference between the two.

Dobson is a good player, excellent on his day, I just don't get the mythology that seems to surround him when I read his name on Hull FC/KR forums. It's a very similar hysteria to that which followed Cooke, who was also decent but no worldbeater. As I said, he'll do a decent job.

I thought I'd indulge you and actually discuss the topic.

Fair points all JB, I can understand his status with Hull KR fans, less so with some of my fellow Hull fans.

Cooke a worldbeater? Not quite but not far off.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#46 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,654 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Cooke a worldbeater? Not quite but not far off.

Agreed.

In his comfort zone, ie. the "reasonable" Hull FC sides of 2005/6, he was a class player who was capable of unlocking even the best defences. But he relied a lot on knowing his team mates' games inside out.

This was why he wasn't nearly as effective when he crossed the city.

Anyway, back on topic...

Edited by Old Frightful, 05 November 2012 - 09:23 PM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#47 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Perhaps their goal-kicking records might indicate a difference? Not sure, but I think Dobson's success rate is far higher than Holdsworth's.

A bit academic, I admit, seeing as Hull already have a certain Mr Tickle, who can kick.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#48 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

I would be fairly unimpressed if Hull were to sign Dobson.
Not knocking his ability, as when he's played well for Rovers they tended to get results.
I just don't see him fitting in at FC and still think we'll get a lot more out of Seymour this coming season.
I don't see AP or Gentle panic buying and expect them to go with what we've got, unless someone else becomes available.

I also don't buy into the fire sale at KR and don't see Rovers letting him go without a viable replacement.
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#49 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Firstly, Michael Dobson is not going to Hull FC.

Secondly, to get an idea of where Hull KR are headed as a club we must understand what has happened previously.

Neil Hudgell said the club must average 10K to break even, based on spending to the salary cap limit. Last season we average 7,700+ and spent to that cap and obviously that equates to a club operating at a loss.

We had some high earners who simply were not worth it financially and they have now left the club, so much so that I'd say we've shaved 500k from our wage bill. We have brought in 6 lads so far and not one of them will be on what Joel Clinton and Jake Webster were earning over the past 2/3 years.

This means we are bringing our wage bill in line with what we predict will be next season's attendances. This has to be done or else we will continue to haemorrhage money with the same group of people picking up the tab at the end of the season.

There is talk of a 'takeover' but this isn't true. It was speculation that got way out of hand. Expect a local businessman to join the board soon, especially as both Peter May and Paul Luen, two lifelong supporters of the club, have stepped down.

I predict we'll run at a loss again in 2013 but it won't be anywhere near what has been suggested in the media recently.

To me, sustainability is about making a profit and very few clubs do that. The only way we could do it is if the board write off the debt, and that understandably will not happen. We need to make sure we work hard to seek investment at a corporate level as well as through the supporters during the season.

#50 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,859 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Firstly, Michael Dobson is not going to Hull FC.

Secondly, to get an idea of where Hull KR are headed as a club we must understand what has happened previously.

Neil Hudgell said the club must average 10K to break even, based on spending to the salary cap limit. Last season we average 7,700+ and spent to that cap and obviously that equates to a club operating at a loss.

We had some high earners who simply were not worth it financially and they have now left the club, so much so that I'd say we've shaved 500k from our wage bill. We have brought in 6 lads so far and not one of them will be on what Joel Clinton and Jake Webster were earning over the past 2/3 years.

This means we are bringing our wage bill in line with what we predict will be next season's attendances. This has to be done or else we will continue to haemorrhage money with the same group of people picking up the tab at the end of the season.

There is talk of a 'takeover' but this isn't true. It was speculation that got way out of hand. Expect a local businessman to join the board soon, especially as both Peter May and Paul Luen, two lifelong supporters of the club, have stepped down.

I predict we'll run at a loss again in 2013 but it won't be anywhere near what has been suggested in the media recently.

To me, sustainability is about making a profit and very few clubs do that. The only way we could do it is if the board write off the debt, and that understandably will not happen. We need to make sure we work hard to seek investment at a corporate level as well as through the supporters during the season.

Thank you very much for that post. Interesting and informative. Good luck......

Edited by The Parksider, 06 November 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#51 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Thank you very much for that post. Interesting and informative. Good luck......

Do you really mean that. I thought you wanted Hull KR out of SL so you could achieve your dream of a SL composed on Mega clubs, Hull FC being one of them.

#52 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

just read the hull kr have signed a young unproven forward from huddersfield, sandercock has said he fits what we want, a young british forward!!!!! what are Watts and Taylor? or have i missed something

#53 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

just read the hull kr have signed a young unproven forward from huddersfield, sandercock has said he fits what we want, a young british forward!!!!! what are Watts and Taylor? or have i missed something

They are both young, British forwards.

Both circumstances are different but equally difficult. Watts was a disruption who didn't pull his weight, found out Hull were interested and jumped ship. That was for the best of both parties in the end.

Taylor's situation dragged on for ages. A contract was offered, Taylor said he wanted to stay, Hudgell said Taylor refused to negotiate and with him having only a year left on his deal cut their losses and sold him for around £100k.

It is all well and good saying we want young British forwards in the squad but if they see their futures elsewhere, what can you do? You can't force a player to stay and rot in the reserves, particularly when we would make money out of them.

It is a shame the way it happened but you deal with it and move on. We have done so and signed Adam Walker, for a fee, on a 3-year deal. He wants to be here, all the very best to the kid.

#54 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Dobson to be KR's captain next season

http://www.hullkr.co...-robins-in-2013

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#55 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

The decision was never in doubt. In Galea's long absense last season Dobson deputised and did a great job, although I am of the opinion that the captain tag is overrated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users