Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Workington Vikings?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

I got the connection with Widnes (not just a name change) straight away as per my sarcastic post above. Hope you guys dont go down the twinning route :o

Lee

Edited by morty, 04 November 2012 - 11:13 PM.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#22 Havenwarrior

Havenwarrior
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Maybe Workington KR or Workington City Reds then :)

HW

#23 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I got the connection with Widnes (not just a name change) straight away as per my sarcastic post above. Hope you guys dont go down the twinning route :o

Lee

The way things are going in the Championships I think it is inevitable that Town will be twinned with a SL club or else we could lose out on players, which is what the RFL have hoped for all along. They wanted this system brought in to save SL clubs money and they have allowed a drip feed process to be used and as soon as 1 Championship club accepted then it was pretty obvious that others would follow. I still say that Cumbria clubs, especially us and Haven, will lose out in benefits, other than loanees, compared to other Championship clubs who are located closer to their SL partners.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#24 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

The Raiders board have rejected the idea of twinning at this moment in time.....I agree but maybe we will miss out and be weakened against twinned opposition...who knows ?

Lee Morton

#25 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

I mean u will be joining up with Widnes, as we are with the Saints.

HW

i dont really buy into this link up thing as we ,in west cumbria,are too far from the rest of the RL world for it to benefit us. I cant see better players trailing up and down the M6 when they could get a game closer to home in the C'ship. However i suppose you can only try something to see if it works but as i say IMO i cant see it working for us.

#26 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 840 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

we are a rugby base of our own IMO with the likes of Mossop, Donaldson, Amor to name a few making the grade, we dont we cumbria to be known as a feeder territory.
Brett Phillips shows how Local Rugby can devlop you into a star and 12 months later he is a must in any of the cumbria forwards fortunatly we have him at town.

#27 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

There's a lot to be said letting lads develop in the local game.
However the RFL seem intent on wrecking the process by letting a pair of unscrupulous sneaky back stabbing tossers who don't care a stuff about cumbria and the players and our game and the local pro clubs will suffer because of it

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#28 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

There's a lot to be said letting lads develop in the local game.
However the RFL seem intent on wrecking the process by letting a pair of unscrupulous sneaky back stabbing tossers who don't care a stuff about cumbria and the players and our game and the local pro clubs will suffer because of it

Spot on Gonch mate

Lee Morton

#29 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 775 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

The way things are going in the Championships I think it is inevitable that Town will be twinned with a SL club or else we could lose out on players, which is what the RFL have hoped for all along. They wanted this system brought in to save SL clubs money and they have allowed a drip feed process to be used and as soon as 1 Championship club accepted then it was pretty obvious that others would follow. I still say that Cumbria clubs, especially us and Haven, will lose out in benefits, other than loanees, compared to other Championship clubs who are located closer to their SL partners.

The more clubs that say "No thanks " to this stupid twinning idea the better, all this does is keep the SL clubs fringe players match fit for when their parent club gets injuries, the championship club then has to replace these players with players who have been kept out of the team by these loanees and will be not as match fit!

#30 Havenwarrior

Havenwarrior
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Wish i was as good at picking Lottery Numbers, is it still such a bad idea, now you have followed suit?

HW

#31 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

the jury is out on it havenwarrior. i know given your current plight anything will be welcome to you but we will see how it goes. as i have said on the other thread lets see how it goes but i'm not sure its a good thing.

#32 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Oh dear, have all the decent SL clubs been taken up? How embarrising to be twinned with a club that finished bottom of the league, would rather stay independant. Be better off twinning with Feverstone !! Least Whitehaven have Saints !

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#33 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Bet theyre not bottom next year, and no guarantee of first team strength who has the better juniors to
loan out or who youre sent . In our league theyll be good players ... Dave Woods says Feverstone on telly to...

#34 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

If widnes dont finish bottom, they'll finish next to bottom, which still dosnt fill you with awe ! With the exception of Salford, the rest of the teams in the bottom half of SL have recruited well.

#35 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,522 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

There first team has little or nothing to with us, we will be getting young plauers .

#36 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

But the youth team has hardly been outstanding for the Vikings. The likes of Wigan, Leeds, Saints and Warrington are light years ahead in player development, and the constant production of good youth teams shows this. Seriously think, that like Barrow, Town should have stayed independant. I understand that the laws regarding salary capping make 'twinning; more appealing since those players loaned from SL clubs dont count on the cap, but still, should have aimed higher than Widnes.
Haven have gone with Saints, since SL clubs are allowed to twin with more than one club, as Saints have done with Haven and ochdale, as long as they arent in the same demographic area. Town, if they wated to twin should have looked at a better SL club

Edited by Oracle, 14 November 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#37 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

If widnes dont finish bottom, they'll finish next to bottom, which still dosnt fill you with awe ! With the exception of Salford, the rest of the teams in the bottom half of SL have recruited well.

And your point is ........ what exactly? Championship clubs don't need top SL players unless they are hoping to win the league, which in our case we don't expect that sort of instant success, so good young players will do us fine. It matters not whether the SL club is bottom or top we will only get players that they want us to have.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#38 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

But the youth team has hardly been outstanding for the Vikings. The likes of Wigan, Leeds, Saints and Warrington are light years ahead in player development, and the constant production of good youth teams shows this. Seriously think, that like Barrow, Town should have stayed independant. I understand that the laws regarding salary capping make 'twinning; more appealing since those players loaned from SL clubs dont count on the cap, but still, should have aimed higher than Widnes.
Haven have gone with Saints, since SL clubs are allowed to twin with more than one club, as Saints have done with Haven and ochdale, as long as they arent in the same demographic area. Town, if they wated to twin should have looked at a better SL club

If you do some research you will find that the Widnes reserve team didnt do great BUT they have had a good academy system thats produced useful results

To put things in perspective Anthony Mullally was in there reserve team but looked a good player at Haven, and if Widnes fringe players are the likes of Steve Pickersgill etc they will do a superb job in this league for Town
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#39 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I see that this week Widnes also struck up a partnership with amateur club Widnes St Maries who will now be known as St Maries Vikings!!! They are certainly covering every avenue from amateur through Championship 1 with Crusaders, Championship with Town and their own Under 19's team most of which will be last seasons Under 20's.

#40 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

They also took over the Town football team lock stock and barrell and they are under the widnes vikings banner - I was at the Widnes v Warrington game must have been 100 kids in new strips provided by Widnes getting paraded just before the game kicked off

Suppose when you have a 3g pitch it doesnt matter how many people use it!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users