Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Looks like the natives are getting restless

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,291 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

The Youth and Junior game is almost unanimously behind the summer change - whilst understanding there is work to do this isn't a big issue. There are still significant problems with the link to the performance pathway that requires some action otherwise a major bust up could be on the cards.

The thing that should be central to all this is the young players themselves. In all the hoo-ha I've examined my own motivations to make sure I wasn't also taking a position simply to boost my own ego or take a damaging stance for the sake of it. Having now talked to people in the community game from all areas of the country and with a lot of experience I am not sure we have, as game, reached a good position. The real solution is a long way away - that is, to focus on the U6-U9 age group and drastically increase the numbers playing at that level. This will lead to a bigger player pool at 16-18 in about 10 years time, which means we have higher quantity and quality for the performance level to choose from. If they persist in simply "taking" from the community game now there may be no source of players for them in the future. Long term strategic thinking and rugby league are not often heard in the same sentence. Unless the words "has no" are in the middle.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#42 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Didn't South Wakefield Sharks play 2 seasons (2004 and 2005)?

Yep they did play for two seasons. First season the team was run by a couple of lads with links to the police and that was where they expected to get the players from. After a few weeks those players dropped off and Crigg players filled the gap. Second season it was basically Crigg's summer team, with a few other lads who played for other Wakefield winter clubs, Normanton, Eastmoor & Westgate for example.

It was actually quite a good step between Crigg's U18s and winter open age rugby (apart from the Wetherby game!!!!). Several of Crigg's open age players cut their teeth in that competition.

Ultimately there were too few players to play both winter and summer. There was no guarantee the third summer season could be fully completed, so the team was pulled before the season started, rather than take the risk of folding mid-season.

#43 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

south wakefield folded because the players (me included) couldn't be ar$ed playing back to back for 4 seasons (winter, summer, winter, summer). however, crigglestones problems struggling to put out a team this season are more deep rooted than a summer/winter debate, and one of the many reasons i left the club.

Yeah Stu the problems at Crigg aren't to do with summer rugby. They're much more fundamental than that. The failure of the club to run a summer team to represent the Wakefield area (which Walton have tried to do this year) actually illustrate some of the problems at Crigg.

They should be one of the best clubs in the Wakefield area, the land and facilities it has at its disposal are the envy of many other local clubs, but unfortunately there's not much sign of that potential being realized. Still that was the case with Wakey Trinity for years, and they seem to have finally turned the corner now they've got new owners, so maybe there's hope for Crigg yet. :rolleyes:

#44 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

The Youth and Junior game is almost unanimously behind the summer change - whilst understanding there is work to do this isn't a big issue. There are still significant problems with the link to the performance pathway that requires some action otherwise a major bust up could be on the cards.

The thing that should be central to all this is the young players themselves. In all the hoo-ha I've examined my own motivations to make sure I wasn't also taking a position simply to boost my own ego or take a damaging stance for the sake of it. Having now talked to people in the community game from all areas of the country and with a lot of experience I am not sure we have, as game, reached a good position. The real solution is a long way away - that is, to focus on the U6-U9 age group and drastically increase the numbers playing at that level. This will lead to a bigger player pool at 16-18 in about 10 years time, which means we have higher quantity and quality for the performance level to choose from. If they persist in simply "taking" from the community game now there may be no source of players for them in the future. Long term strategic thinking and rugby league are not often heard in the same sentence. Unless the words "has no" are in the middle.

Over the next couple of years we should see the whole of the junior/youth game move to summer. That'll make it easier to ensure that one club doesn't nick a load of players from another club as you've described.

As we get to grips with summer rugby at a junior level, it'll also make it easier to focus on both the very junior end you talk about, but also the girls game, which outside schools is virtually non-existent in most places once girls stop playing in mixed teams after year 6.

#45 revtype

revtype
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

Excellent post. There is an element of indecision that now exists at grass roots clubs due to the summer or winter question. Positive guidance is needed. The timing of simply " taking " from the community game to support the the elite pathway is causing disruption especially when it is done in the age-old clandestine manner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users