Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Autumn International Final: England v France

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

Poll: Predict the margin (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Predict the margin

1. England by 50 points or more (6 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. Voted England by 40-49 points (8 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. England by 30-39 points (8 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. England by 20-29 points (9 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. England by 11-19 points (2 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

6. England by 1-10 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. France by 1-10 points (0 votes [0.00%])

8. France by 11-19 points (0 votes [0.00%])

9. France by 20-29 points (0 votes [0.00%])

10. France by 30-39 points (0 votes [0.00%])

11. France by 40-49 points (1 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

12. France by 50 points or more (2 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

when oh when will people realise that the french will never be good enough to compete with us on the international stage.

as Widnes will never be good enough to win the GF or the CC. Doesn't stop them trying, though, nor does it stop Widnes fans turning up in their hundreds each week.

Edited by JohnM, 12 November 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#102 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

I missed the red button forum. What was Ian Millward's England team for the World Cup opening game? Chappers was talking about it pre-match.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#103 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

I missed the red button forum. What was Ian Millward's England team for the World Cup opening game? Chappers was talking about it pre-match.

I wouldn't be able to remember the full team he selected but I as I remember the key points that stood out for me he had Widdop and Chase in the halves, Hardaker rather than Charnely on the wing, and no Sinfield.

#104 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

as Widnes will never be good enough to win the GF or the CC. Doesn't stop them trying, though, nor does it stop Widnes fans turning up in their hundreds each week.

people said that about widnes in the early 70's and as they say the rest was history.

i stick to my beliefs and the evidence of 50 years of watching international rugby league, that france will never be good enough to compete in the international arena. and making childish comments about widnes wont change my beliefs....................just grow up soft lad.

oh and by the way it should rad "turning up in their thousands"

Edited by Viking Warrior, 12 November 2012 - 10:56 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#105 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

I wouldn't be able to remember the full team he selected but I as I remember the key points that stood out for me he had Widdop and Chase in the halves, Hardaker rather than Charnely on the wing, and no Sinfield.

got to disagree i thought sinfield had a great captains knock.........................and i have been one of his biggest critics over the years.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#106 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,446 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

I forget the whole line-up, but the talking point was that he omitted Sinfield.

As for the game, it was much better than last week from both sides, and although the score was again one-sided, England had to pull out a lot more tricks to score this time. Fakir answered the old question about who ate all the pies, though.

McIllorum was okay, but will almost certainly only be in the squad as cover for Roby. Hock was below his usual standard, but we all know he's better than that. The early targetting of Sinfield as kicker is a warning sign, as NZ and Oz will be in his face even faster than France, more consistently and more ruthlessly.

Hall, Tompkins, Watkins, all pretty much cemented their selections, so Hardaker may have to play out of position, if he features in the RWC.

What I did like in England's case was the unusual sense that I was watching a team, rather than a bunch of strangers. Obviously, this is nowhere near the testing environment we'll face against the Kiwis and Kangaroos, but this is the best preparation we can organise this year.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#107 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

I think it went something like this: Tomkins, Briscoe, Watkins, Reed, Hall, Widdop, Chase, Sam Burgess, Roby, Graham, Hock, Ellis, O'Loughlin.

For what it's worth, that is the pack of forwards I would choose too...

#108 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

I'd have Westwood in ahead of Hock, but then again I am biased.

#109 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

people said that about widnes in the early 70's and as they say the rest was history.

i stick to my beliefs and the evidence of 50 years of watching international rugby league, that france will never be good enough to compete in the international arena. and making childish comments about widnes wont change my beliefs....................just grow up soft lad.

oh and by the way it should rad "turning up in their thousands"

so in that 50 years.. you would have seen some very good french sides. whats different about the future that they can never be decent again?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#110 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Its about time all the chase haters got over it, hes English as far as the international rules go (i dont agree with it either) so if SM thinks hes the best we've got then thats that, also a missed timed tackle in the passed doesn't stop him been selected so get over it n move on!
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#111 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Exactly....History. Not present. Not future..unless you want to bankrupt the club again buying success.

#112 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

got to disagree i thought sinfield had a great captains knock.........................and i have been one of his biggest critics over the years.

Agree. I liked Tomkins at fullback, too. He sttod back, observed,and driftrd into the play where needed and where the gaps were.

#113 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Agree. I liked Tomkins at fullback, too. He sttod back, observed,and driftrd into the play where needed and where the gaps were.

thats a first........we agree, i hold my hand up and have to say chase didn't have that bad of a game, but for me sinfield was outstanding.

#114 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

They will get there take note they where left out of. Pro era til 2006 it all takes time. Simply put toulouse needs to be in sl.
take this in your point viking warrior prior to 1995, it was all semi pro so the french could surprise with a win from time to time.
Since the pro era in 1995 bar 1 season with paris, the french was out of pro level for 10 seasons, unlike in nz where there is a natural migration to australia for footy. So they have to catch up on 10 years of pro footy the english have had and around 150 fulltime pro players to say 25 at best in france. Since 2006, the french have improved gradually take point since the introduction of catalans all top test teams now play top sides v french unlike the 4 string sides the kiwis and aussies put v them in 2003 to 2005.

The talent is there at junior level they are very competitive v the big three. The key is simply more players exposed to pro level.
So the best way i can see is toulouse in sl, given there is a reluctance to sign french players by english clubs. They are on a step learning curve, they will be lucky to make last 8 at world cup given there pool. See it is very easy for fiji, tonga and samoa to get a side full of nrl and sp experience given the heritage of alot of players at pro level. i have no doubt either fiji, tonga or samoa will make last 4.

Edited by winnyason, 12 November 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#115 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

The talent is there at junior level they are very competitive v the big three. The key is simply more players exposed to pro level.
So the best way i can see is toulouse in sl, given there is a reluctance to sign french players by english clubs. They are on a step learning curve, they will be lucky to make last 8 at world cup given there pool. See it is very easy for fiji, tonga and samoa to get a side full of nrl and sp experience given the heritage of alot of players at pro level. i have no doubt either fiji, tonga or samoa will make last 4.

Good points there. All the Pacific nations now turn up at WC with NRL players. There is no real French community I think in Australia as such unlike Greeks, Italian & Lebanese. England now playing that card with Widdop and Reed plus residential with Chase. France have just had one note in the time Catalans in SL that being Greenshields in 4N of 2009. Will he, can he make himself available next year; his last chance of a WC. He's playing at N Queensland Cowboys in 2013. The other one people are talking about is Dureau. Is it 3 years or four for qualification?
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#116 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

so in that 50 years.. you would have seen some very good french sides. whats different about the future that they can never be decent again?

they have gone backwards since sacking Goulding - he was getting the momentum and the players were playing for him with a great team spirit - he made mistakes early on which cost him his job but the games against England at Avignon & Scotland at the GB were very good viewing for the french fans

#117 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

When does work start at toulouse's stadium.

#118 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

they have gone backwards since sacking Goulding - he was getting the momentum and the players were playing for him with a great team spirit - he made mistakes early on which cost him his job but the games against England at Avignon & Scotland at the GB were very good viewing for the french fans

They were in France as this tourny should have been.

Why oh why do we get refs who hand these games on a platter to England? It would be far better to have a biased pro French ref to get us used to having calls go against us - as they will against the Aussies.

#119 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

France have a real battle to get of pool stage with png, samoa, and kiwis in pool. samoa to have puleta boys, lautiti, tafua from manly, carmont and other blokes who miss kiwi team, i wonder if there any any imports in the french elite that could play for french that could make impact. Fiji is going to have a real good team, big petro to play as is lote from tigers along with the young flyer koroibete, the naiqama boys along with aston sims ans darryl millard from catalans.

#120 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

France have a real battle to get of pool stage with png, samoa, and kiwis in pool. samoa to have puleta boys, lautiti, tafua from manly, carmont and other blokes who miss kiwi team, i wonder if there any any imports in the french elite that could play for french that could make impact. Fiji is going to have a real good team, big petro to play as is lote from tigers along with the young flyer koroibete, the naiqama boys along with aston sims ans darryl millard from catalans.

well, Greenshields will be back at FB, fitness permitting and maybe Dureau will qualify next season and whatever happened to Dane Chisholm ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users