Only 22 countries in the world not invaded by the British

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

They even paid for a street in Hull, Icelandic Close, to be built after WW2 as a gesture of friendship following the Luftwaffe's attempt to bomb the city into oblivion.

The Luftwaffe let Bradford off fairly lightly. As a result, Bradford Council has been left to send our city into oblivion entirely by its own efforts.
<_< <_<

Edited by Wolford6, 05 November 2012 - 10:30 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#22 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

I find it difficult to believe that Wellington's army didn't touch Andorra at some point during the Peninsula War. After all it is completely surrounded by France and Spain, I'd have thought that when he invaded France from Spain Andorra was invaded at the same time. As it happens I've been to Andorra - Pas de la Casa - it's just border post and a shopping mall in the middle of the Pyrenees. They're very keen on Catalunya there, perhaps we should try and establish another French expansion team there. ^_^

Edited by Trojan, 05 November 2012 - 11:17 PM.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#23 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

Why did we want dysentry? :huh:

To aid invasion of the other countries, we give Andorra* dysentry & we can invade Mali

*I wonder how difficult it would be to invade a landlocked country, surrounded by countries that are sympathetic to the target nation, alleged friends of the invading nation & jointly rule the target nation? San Marino is another example, Faroe Islands are fair game as if we invade there we would lose the Shetlands to Norway, and it would take longer for a "Task Force" to be assembled and sail fr them than it took for the Falklands
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#24 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

When did anyone invade Iceland?

Chavs on giro day.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Chavs on giro day.

:D

Someone told me recently that you don't even get a giro these days? I would be gutted if I was unemployed, that was a real highlight getting and cashing your giro.

I suppose all the old jokes will die out with it too?

#26 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

If we can quickly complete the list (a few friendly incursions maybe?) can we then stop spending obscene amounts of money on 'defence'?

Edited by WearyRhino, 06 November 2012 - 02:41 PM.

LUNEW.jpg

#27 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Even odder is Norway, we (apparently) invaded it in an attempt to get rid of the Germans in WW2, I can see how that qualifies as a hostile act.

Did you mean to say "I can't"?

At the end of the report Mr Laycock says "The book is not intended as any kind of moral judgment on our history or our empire. It is meant as a light-hearted bit of fun."

I don't think the word "invaded" is quite the correct one in context of the book, and the qualification the author gives backs this up:-

[Countries] have been included because the British were found to have achieved some sort of military presence in the territory – however transitory – either through force, the threat of force, negotiation or payment.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#28 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

:D

Someone told me recently that you don't even get a giro these days? I would be gutted if I was unemployed, that was a real highlight getting and cashing your giro.

I suppose all the old jokes will die out with it too?

When I was signing on, your dole went straight into your bank account every two weeks - very civilised! The only time I got a giro was if the job centre employee assigned to me forgot to tick the little box on her screen that said that I had attended the appointment and fulfilled all the criteria needed to receive the payment.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#29 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

I think if we did invade Andorra, Monaco, Luxembourg or Leichtenstein, or most of the others we would be looked on as some sort of Imperialist Bully.... OH!

As for the Vatican,should have been invaded during the reign of Henry VIII, or after 1605.

All the rest have nothing we wanted (apart from dysentry)

We were only 2nd class in Henry VIII couldnt even invade Scotland
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#30 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

I read somewhere that USA has invaded quite a lot of countries since wwII
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#31 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,388 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

I read somewhere that USA has invaded quite a lot of countries since wwII

A newspaper?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#32 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

A newspaper?

No actually I heard on the radio by a well known political firebrand
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#33 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

No actually I heard on the radio by a well known political firebrand

George Bush?

#34 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

George Bush?

No not him either.I will tell you now and if you were facing me you would probably me the Bradford West nut slap. got it now?
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#35 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

A newspaper?

Well I laughed.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,388 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Well I laughed.

Thank you. B)
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#37 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

No not him either.I will tell you now and if you were facing me you would probably me the Bradford West nut slap. got it now?

Ah, Presidant Assad's Ambassador.

#38 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Ah, Presidant Assad's Ambassador.

I heard him say it and I dont know the figure he said ,but it was quite high ,and I mentioned it to a bloke in the local bar and he said 'yes I'm not proud of it
'
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#39 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Even odder is Norway, we (apparently) invaded it in an attempt to get rid of the Germans in WW2, I can see how that qualifies as a hostile act.

Well ... we planned to invade it before the Germans did, sort of. It was (partly) Churchill's lunatic idea, to cut off Germany's supply of Swedish iron ore, and also use it as a means of sending troops to help Finland fight the USSR. The Germans got wind of it and pre-empted us.

#40 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

I would imagine the purpose was to secure the Icelandic harbours for the Arctic convoys. My grandad was the skipper of HMS Sulla which was lost after leaving Reykjavik with Convoy PQ-13

Not sure about them not being keen on us ever since. When I was growing up they saved dozens of our trawlermen, often risking their own lives to do so. The Icelandic people still have enormous respect in this part of the world. They even paid for a street in Hull, Icelandic Close, to be built after WW2 as a gesture of friendship following the Luftwaffe's attempt to bomb the city into oblivion.

I was thinking of the Cod Wars. (Shows you how cheap houses are in Hull, if Iceland could afford to pay for a street).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users