Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Only 22 countries in the world not invaded by the British

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 heartofGold

heartofGold
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

I read somewhere that USA has invaded quite a lot of countries since wwII

Was it this?
Since 1945 the United States has attempted to overthrow more than 50 foreign governments. In the process the US has caused the end of life for several million people and condemned many millions more to a life of agony and despair

oy shked helwa el horiya

#42 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

I was thinking of the Cod Wars. (Shows you how cheap houses are in Hull, if Iceland could afford to pay for a street).

They'll never quite be as cheap as that remark though.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#43 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Was it this?
Since 1945 the United States has attempted to overthrow more than 50 foreign governments. In the process the US has caused the end of life for several million people and condemned many millions more to a life of agony and despair

No, surely not! The protectors of freedom have done that? Surely they've only overthrown vicious dictators though, nobody elected?

LUNEW.jpg

#44 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,088 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

The 2nd and 3rd books in Eduardo Galeano's 'Memory of Fire' trilogy are particularly good sources of detail about the US government's shenanigans in Central and South America, and make evident the meaning of the term 'banana republic'.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#45 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Was it this?

Yes that is similar to what I heard from the right honourable member for Bradford west,and when I brought this up in conversation with a fellow drinker in a bar where I live he agreed and said its something many of us Americans are not proud of it
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#46 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

No, surely not! The protectors of freedom have done that? Surely they've only overthrown vicious dictators though, nobody elected?

Let's not forget the commendable courage shown by U.S. forces in overcoming a bunch of Cuban bricklayers during their heroic 'liberation' of Grenada.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#47 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Let's not forget the commendable courage shown by U.S. forces in overcoming a bunch of Cuban bricklayers during their heroic 'liberation' of Grenada.

and of course defending American freedom in far off Afganistan.As they they say "freedom is not free"
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#48 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

We were only 2nd class in Henry VIII couldnt even invade Scotland

But we did own Calais.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#49 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

But we did own Calais.

Did owning Calais come from the Norman rule?
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users