Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Lyon-Villeurbanne Rhone X111 - Time to relight the flame?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

On the back of talk/rumours surrounding the French Super X111 comp, Lyon-Villeurbanne Rhone X111 has been highlighted as a potential team to enter the comp, now I didn't know anything about this club so I decided to do some digging.......I discovered that this club founded in 1934 has a rich and proud history and a bigger club than I imagined, one that with the right nurturing could be up their with the likes of Catalan, Toulouse & Avignon. Their ground the Stade Georges Lyvet is a beautiful ground and one side of it is being developed and looks like a nice place to watch a game of league.
Do any francophiles on this forum have any useful info on this club and what do they see as the future for the club and league in the Rhone valley, I for one can see the potential here and Super X111 is an opportunity for Lyon Rugby league to be elevated once again.

#2 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Lyon is certainly a big place I drove through it a couple of years ago and it's a proper city. There is a club if I'm not mistaken but didn't they get relegated/fall out of Elite 1 recently.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

English spelling is Lyons, Lyon is the largest conurbation (1.5 million ) outside Paris. Soccer team not bad. Decent airport/TGV station, good modern tram system.

Can recommend RESTAURANT LE ROCKEFELLER 61, avenue Rockefeller...full of locals at lunchtime.

Edited by JohnM, 07 November 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#4 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

I lived there for some time, not relly a sporting city (despite the success of Olympique Lyonnais). Don't think we ought to worry about the English spelling, though. It is a French city, after all.

I heard a little while back of an outlandish plan by some businessmen who wanted to push for a Super League place. A mate of mine who was still there at the time was asked to check the plans over.

He knew nothing of Rugby, but he was English which is what they wanted. He said, even as somebody ignorant of the bigger picture, that it was pie in the sky and full of holes.

Having said that, there is not a finer city in France and it would be a fabulous place to visit. Am I right in thinking that, despite rugby's (both) rich history in the area, that there isn't a large union team either?

Edited by MrPosh, 07 November 2012 - 11:56 AM.

People called Romans they go the house

#5 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

I lived there for some time, not relly a sporting city (despite the success of Olympique Lyonnais). Don't think we ought to worry about the English spelling, though. It is a French city, after all.

I heard a little while back of an outlandish plan by some businessmen who wanted to push for a Super League place. A mate of mine who was still there at the time was asked to check the plans over.

He knew nothing of Rugby, but he was English which is what they wanted. He said, even as somebody ignorant of the bigger picture, that it was pie in the sky and full of holes.

Having said that, there is not a finer city in France and it would be a fabulous place to visit. Am I right in thinking that, despite rugby's (both) rich history in the area, that there isn't a large union team either?

The union lot got relegated from the Top 14 last year but still cashed up. They signed two French internationals of note to play in Pro 2 Nallet & Chabal. They are presently considered one of the favourites to go back up. They get crowds around the 6000 mark.

The league side seem resigned to Elite 2 fed up of trying to keep up with clubs who can pay more. One decent player they have is centre/wing Mendes the Portugese lad who did well in the Championship with Toulouse. There is another local team FC Lyon who are playing in the N1 comp along with near neighbours Roanne who seem to be on the up a bit. But yes Lyons and Roanne were at one time big names in the game. Lyon played Castleford I think for the Lord Derby Coupe back in the 1930s.

For the future they'll be waiting for Luc Dayan to write out the cheques!

Edited by audois, 07 November 2012 - 01:13 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#6 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Ah! Roanne. Once went to see them play at home circa 2003. No match day posters, really no information available about when (day, date, time) or where they played. Eventually arrived at the ground to find a guy selling entry tickets from the boot of his car. It seemed that everyone who was ever likely to go know they played on a Sunday at 3 PM so why have a fixture list? In the end there were about 200 to 300 speccies which was good. A testament to the brave and dedicated people who strove to keep the club going but hardly a way to run a sports club.

Things are better now - see http://www.rcroanne13.fr/ but still can't see a fixture list.

#7 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Have a great history in the game, pity it was a couple of generations ago though, but you never know, some of these old League strongholds could actually still be strongholds (if you know what I mean), maybe they need to see some top line stuff again?

#8 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Imo, out of the biggest cities that RL could do well in, I'd say Bordeaux would be the one.

#9 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Oh, and 1 other city with massive potential would be marseille in my opinion, they have a big history when it comes to TGG, I'd love nothing more than seeing Marseille and Bordeaux facing up to Catalans, Wigan, Saints and the odd Parra and co in a proper WCC or something.

#10 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

adois, I know Roanne has a long and proud history in R XIII when it comes to our game, is it a big enough place to have a SL team (roanne + surrounding areas) or would the FFR13 be better off looking at other areas?

Merci.

#11 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

Roanne have struggled for years, when I used to play against them in elite2 they seemed to only ever have 14 player's and 5 of them where kiwis! I think the basketball team started to get successful and I think the mayor started to fund the basket more than rl, only clubhouse I've ever seen with a mini bowling alley in the bar!

#12 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

This was in the early 00's

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

haven't we got a dedicated forum for all french RL??????????????
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#14 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

haven't we got a dedicated forum for all french RL??????????????

And RLFans has a dedicated Widnes forum, so perhaps you could do us all a favour.
People called Romans they go the house

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users