Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Floodlights / Funding / Fund Raising

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

Everyone will be well aware of the nervous state of the countrys economics at the present time which makes fund raising evene harder for those active members of the board atempting to secure sponsorship for next year. Grants are harder to gain as more clubs are applying with less grant funding available and therfore every opportunity MUST be applied for at the earliest dates. There is local amature clubs that are currently active and very succesfull at gaining the grants required to upgrade there facilities.

Previous ideas have bounced about have been ok BUT the results have been too often more than disapointing. The club requires action and action NOW, sitting on ones hands and talking a good job has to end to secure the future of the club.

The future of the club is with the 11 Directors.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#2 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 880 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

I'm sure the BoD are doing all they can Neil. And I'm sure the future of the club is not with only the 11 Directors !!!!
FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#3 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

The 11 Directors are the decision makers and they will or will not raise the funding required, all outside suport can do is turn up at the gates and trust the money they hand over is spent wisely.

My previous post on the floodlights seems to have disapeared and maybe an update from the board of what grants/funding have been now been applied for will surfice.

#4 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

I think what Neil is saying is that the majority of the fund raising ( realistically 90%) must be done by the board and all the people who are raising the other 10% require regular updates or they will lose the will to carry on. I would have thought that some initiative would have been announced by the board by now.
Regular updates and amounts are needed to keep the interest going.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#5 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

When we raised funds for the willie horne stand we had a financial thermometer outside the ground, with final target and the amount raised to date.

Edited by alba, 06 November 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#6 Sempur

Sempur
  • Coach
  • 557 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

When we raised funds for the willie horne stand we had a financial thermometer outside the ground, with final target and the amount raised to date.

Great idea, this was also mentioned at the supporters meeting last week with regards to the floodlight fund.
Whoso sheds his blood with me on this field shall be my brother - Henry V

#7 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Great idea, this was also mentioned at the supporters meeting last week with regards to the floodlight fund.

Rather than a thermometer why not make it a light metre or a bank of floodlights that go from black to gold as the money is accumulated.
Other ideas
A Christmas Raffle ( I wonder if Tebay services would allow tickets to be sold rather than just hitting the Barrow population)
Bag Packs at Asda and Tesco
Car Wash
Car boot sale- my local rugby club has a regular Sunday morning car boot. They have 100 pitches at £7 per pitch. In addition charge 50 p entrance and sell bacon rolls/ hot dogs and tea and coffee. They clear close to £1K per week!

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#8 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Good ideas have come from many suporters but unfortunatly they seem to lack the people to drive them through to success. One man that can raise money is Shaun Mcpoland, his race nights are a big hit and raise serious money without spending/gambling a fortune on running the event.

It has become aparent that there is very little grant aid available for Rugby in general for 2013 and therfore grant applications during 2012 are a must.

#9 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 880 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thats why the Supporters club was set up. But unfortunately its hard getting people there on what ever night we hold the meetings. The Race night was a good little earner and we will be doing an other one next year. If any one wants to raise money off their own back, please do. I'm sure the club would appreciate it.
FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#10 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

£100k is a hard target for any club or organisation to raise in less than 12 months, 11 men spending 10 weeks trying to raise £1500 is time wasted and investing time effort and club money into anything which may or may not pay off is a gamble the club can ill afford IMO. I am unsure who is looking at the grants and how far the applications are but again IMO this is were the concentration must be made and it would be of no use looking back this time next year and saying we should have tried harder.

Time for action is running out :(

#11 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Is the little and large bashing the new BoD again?

#12 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Sorry FB didn't know personal insults were allowed to people expressing an opinion, however where I differ from you is that I stood up and was counted rather than just sitting on my ###### taking cheap shots.
If you had done the same you would understand the concerns that Neil and myself express as we have many many hours of our own time invested in it, but then it's easy to undermine things you have no knowledge about.

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#13 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Sorry FB didn't know personal insults were allowed to people expressing an opinion, however where I differ from you is that I stood up and was counted rather than just sitting on my ###### taking cheap shots.
If you had done the same you would understand the concerns that Neil and myself express as we have many many hours of our own time invested in it, but then it's easy to undermine things you have no knowledge about.

Seem to have hit a nerve here.

All you did before you got on the BoD was bash the old BoD (rightly so) and all you've done since you left the BoD is bash the new BoD.

#14 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Whatever...I think everyone takes your comments as they should be taken..the ramblings of someone who thinks they know everything.

#15 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Any opinion expressed on this forum by anyone who has/is dealing with the financial/running of the club have a great insight into what is required and when it needs to be done by. In the event that any onepeople looking back on this forum 12 months from now may say, why didnt we do what was needed and talked about at the time or were did we go wrong.

FB unless you have intimate knowledge of the running of the club then your opinion is nothing more than an :lol: educated :lol: guess !

#16 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Whatever...I think everyone takes your comments as they should be taken..the ramblings of someone who thinks they know everything.

It's there for everyone to see in black and white Soss. I've just picked up on it.

And your ramblings are bitter and twisted. Maybe of someone who didn't get there own way.

#17 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

FOS.

#18 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

It's there for everyone to see in black and white Soss. I've just picked up on it.

And your ramblings are bitter and twisted. Maybe of someone who didn't get there own way.

FB over the past few years there will be many people who didnt get there own way who were conected with the club. Disagreements within any board is healthy as the last thing you want is yes men and every opinion must be valued wether wright or wrong in any ones view. Board members move on for many various reasons and if they move due to disagreements or they dont like the direction the club is heading then thats up to them and this forum is nothing but a chance for people to express there own opinions.

#19 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

FB over the past few years there will be many people who didnt get there own way who were conected with the club. Disagreements within any board is healthy as the last thing you want is yes men and every opinion must be valued wether wright or wrong in any ones view. Board members move on for many various reasons and if they move due to disagreements or they dont like the direction the club is heading then thats up to them and this forum is nothing but a chance for people to express there own opinions.

That's fine, but why all the sniping?

#20 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Personally if a job needs doing i like to get straight on with it and talk abbout it afterwards. as you may have noticed in the past that I gave regular up dates with what was happening and maybe a good idea for someone to continue with the updates so all know what grants have/are being applied for and what fund raising events have/going to be aranged with regards to the flood lights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users