TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Floodlights / Funding / Fund Raising

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#21 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

Do we need a fundraising committee to be the cental focus group to organise everything ?

A suggestion I have might work & could get all the local RL amateur clubs involved but would need organizing & the goodwill of the local RL fraternity to be succsessful.

As a child I remember loving watching the various famous sportsmen of the nation competing in a Superstars competiton where they did 10 different sporting events and the winner going into the final with the winner of the final crowned Sporting Superstar of GB for that year.

Could we organize something simular ?

If only the RL clubs entered thats 8 or 9 clubs, more if you invite the W Cumbrian clubs, OR have it as a Barrow & District (All Sports) compo!!

Have all local Amateur sporting clubs holding the "BRLFC Floodlight Iron man/Superstar qualifying compo" held at their own grounds include the usual BBQ / Bar / Bouncy castles,Car Boot sales , Disco afterwards etc

Split the monies 50/50 , So each club has a vested interest to get lots of lads/Lasses to enter as they make half the money(after costs of staging the event) If the sporting organisation don't have a suitable venue use CP ,Cav Park, Holker St , Barrow Park ,VSC, Dalton CC, Glaxo, Park Vale, Millom CC,RL or where-ever.

Each Competitor pays 30 Quid entrance fee as they battle to represent their club /sport in the Grand Final at CP in the Summer.

If each sporting club / organization managed to get 15 / 20 entrants that alone would produce 450 /600 quid to split 50 /50

Charge the spectators 5 quid adults, 3 quid kids, family 15 quid and i'd imagine you should get a few hundred attending out of the club stalwarts, competitors fam & friends etc so see the lads out of their usual sporting enviroment as they do the varying 10 differing events, the winner earns bragging rights at his club & enters the semi finals / finals to be held at CP.

If most local area RL , Football, RU, Cricket clubs entered teams & the Boxers, UFC, Swimmers, Cyclists, Athletics,Judo, Karate, Gyms & A N Others held these events, everyone/club has a good fun day out and earns (themselves) some money and BRLFC raises the floodlight monies.

Smaller organisations could combine sports to hold an event, (Exampe) Judo & Karate clubs hold 1 & UFC & Boxers another, the varoius Gyms another, So you have inner Gym/Fighting clubs rivalry, leading to the cream of the crop holing bragging rights & going through to the next phase etc

Depending on the interest/ numbers etc each club/organization could have the top 1.2. or 3 go through to the quarter/semi finals with the top 10 entrants going through to theSemi / GF @ CP

Each club/sport organize their own event, of the same 10 differing tests of strenght agility & sporting prowess, collecting the results & then put forward their "best Man/Men/Woman", leaving BRLFC free to organize their own event, semi final & GF

There must be 60 + teams in the local area, Many more if any Westmorland/Lakes/W Coast/Bay area clubs are invited to enter, .

GF Winner pockets 2,000, 2nd 1,000, 3rd 500....again depending on number of entrances, might have to lower the prize money if less enter.

BRLFC host GF and Bands, Booze, Food , Party etc Would 1,500+ spectators be willing to pay 10 quid to watch the best 10 battle it out to be crowned the Superstar of Sport ?

Yes their will be holes to pick out of this suggestion but IMHO its a PR boost and a building bridges boost & could help all sporting clubs locally while going a heck of a long way to raising some serious cash for the Floodlight fund, (Spot Light on Sport)

I'll get my coat :(

#22 drewjak

drewjak
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

To be fair could our main sponsor not be a little more helpful, lets face it its nothing to him he could then re name the ground the Furness park arena , its ok trying to encourage the supporters of the club to stump up but £100 k is a vast amount of money to normal everyday supporters like our selves and its very difficult to see light at the end of the tunnel, to millionaire businessmen its nothing .
Im sure there are plenty of well off business people around this club who could help if they are approached in the right manner.

Could the big companys of the area not be approached, the likes of kimberly clark for one,( glaxo have their own sports club, so do BAE so its unlikely they would fund anything else or is it??)
could we not convince them to part with vast sums of money for ground naming sponsorship and give kimberly staff discount entrance passes.
I think its the big guns that need approaching to help us or at least give us a healthy starting block and a bit more of a chance to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

At the same time i think its absolutely disgusting that the RFL stipulate the need for lighting because of tv coverage and then neither of these giants are prep paired to help out in funding, its hardly good promotion is it.

#23 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

Furness Park that have pulled the plug you mean???

#24 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

FB your mindless comments are unbelivable, Alan Stoker has not only stepped in on two occasions to save the club but stepped in at the last momment as Main Sponsor as the club did not have one for 2012. And you state pulled the plug ? look at the current financial problems in not only this country but world wide. Any individual or company that sponsors any amount to the club should be honoured not slated.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#25 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

So has he not pulled his sponsorship the D11? It wasn't a mindless comment just stating a fact.

You've posted as many mindless comments on here lately about the current BoD but that's ok isn't it?

Are you still sponsoring next year?

Edited by Flaming balls, 08 November 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#26 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

To answer your question, will i be sponsoring next year ? 2011 I put £47k into the club, 2012 I was a gold member ontop of this we have sponsored other local ametur teams with boards for the past 12 years. 2013 is going to be difficult for any buisness due to the lack of goverment funding and contracts available so in a nut shell yes i will be sponsoring at the minimum a board but comopared to other years no.

Maybe you could respond with how you have financialy aided the club ?

#27 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Bravo, bravo. I didn't ask how much you had put in I asked if you were going to this year. You side stepped that bit.

You painted a pretty picture but a year on cracks are starting to show.

I'm not carrying this on anymore, but they do say "true colours eventually come through"

Edited by Flaming balls, 08 November 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#28 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

It was on RC this morning that R F Miller,Accountants are the main sponsors for 2013.

Posted Image

#29 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Well done to RF Millers for their contribution. Is Furness Park still going to be a sponsor of any kind then ?

I take it all the area's major employers/companys have been engaged for sponsorship or funding for the floodlight campaign ie

BAE
Kimberly Clark
Centrica
Glaxo
Asda
Tesco
Morrisons
Agrilek
Steeles
Tronic
Mcdonalds
KFC
Wicks
Hydro-Lok

Loads more and apologies to any I have missed just a 5 minute think on my part. Dont think there is much point in going to see Brian or Tony Keen (Scurrah's) as the soccer have their own problems !

What about Energy coast companies? I know they are in bed with Haven but who knows ?

Edited by morty, 08 November 2012 - 11:08 AM.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#30 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Well done to RF Millers for their contribution. Is Furness Park still going to be a sponsor of any kind then ?

I take it all the area's major employers/companys have been engaged for sponsorship or funding for the floodlight campaign ie

BAE
Kimberly Clark
Centrica
Glaxo
Asda
Tesco
Morrisons
Agrilek
Steeles
Tronic
Mcdonalds
KFC
Wicks
Hydro-Lok

Loads more and apologies to any I have missed just a 5 minute think on my part. Dont think there is much point in going to see Brian or Tony Keen (Scurrah's) as the soccer have their own problems !

What about Energy coast companies? I know they are in bed with Haven but who knows ?

Lee,

Maybe you should be are commercial manager.

#31 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Lee,

Maybe you should be are commercial manager.

Would like to contibute some time as well as financially but unfortunately with working away I dont have the spare time !

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#32 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Bravo, bravo. I didn't ask how much you had put in I asked if you were going to this year. You side stepped that bit.

You painted a pretty picture but a year on cracks are starting to show.

I'm not carrying this on anymore, but they do say "true colours eventually come through"

FB all you do is stir the preverbal...if it was not for Alan Stoker and Neil Martin we would not have a club. People stepped up to the plate in what seemed to be an impossible position for the club and pulled it together financially and put a promotion winning team on the park. You as a fan should be thankful to the people that gave their valuable time and resources allowing you to watch Barrow Raiders and participate (I use that term lightly) on his forum..

Edited by soss, 08 November 2012 - 11:35 AM.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#33 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Very well said, Mike. The messages on here by nameless people who don't know what they are talking about is amazing.

Posted Image

#34 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Fact is 2 directors threw toys out of the pram early on (as one could not get elected) both have now quit (for personal reasons blah blah blah) and are now having a gripe as the present board are not doing enough.

Michael - Add me to your list as well then, if it was just people on here that you wanted to post, there would be no more than 10 people, its bad and boring enough as it is now!

Edited by rooster2003, 08 November 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#35 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Fact is 2 directors threw toys out of the pram early on (as one could not get elected) both have now quit (for personal reasons blah blah blah) and are now having a gripe as the present board are not doing enough.

Michael - Add me to your list as well then, if it was just people on here that you wanted to post, there would be no more than 10 people, its bad and boring enough as it is now!

Fact is Rooster you dont know the half of what went on and if you did you would not be making such comments.

#36 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

It's strange how two successful businessmen as you say throw their toys out the cot...I think I would be asking myself why before lambasting them rooster..

Edited by soss, 08 November 2012 - 03:16 PM.

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#37 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

ding ding, round 2 :lol:

#38 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hang on dropped my gum shield...lol

#39 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Des Johnston is a successful business man but look where that got us.

#40 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Des Johnston is a successful business man but look where that got us.

First thing i do agree with you FB ;)
Voted in and everyone thought what a splendid job yet behind closed doors !