Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

GB team to return?

Short termism

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#1 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

I read on twitter (usual suspects) yesterday that it is being proposed that the GB team is returning.

It was claimed by one that this will instantly strengthen the Celtic nations for the 2013WC. It probably will in terms of that tournament, but it won't accelerate the number of Celtic players of high enough standard. All that will happen is some players will discover they are related to a highland terrier and fancy a run out for Scotland. They will suffer mysterious injuries for almost every other Scotland game and perhaps pop up at the next big game. That's false representation in my eyes.

To me, this utterly sums up why RL is in the state it is regional and development wise. Rather than develop things from the bottom up and see if it grows (which is what happens now), pressure is put on the 'authorities' by vocal critics to get an instant result. When it doesn't work instantly, these same critics are lambasting the same authorities as incompetent and they need to do such and such instead.

I welcome the idea of a GB team but only when the player pool warrants it. To do it anytime soon is just false. If a player turns out for say, Scotland in the 2008 WC, and then changes his allegiance to England a bit later, it suggests to me that this player wasn't actually very Scottish to begin with. Nor is the alternative to pack the teams full of Aussies either. The only true way to do it, is wait. But why wait when we can try and fix it in 5 minutes.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#2 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

I read on twitter (usual suspects) yesterday that it is being proposed that the GB team is returning.

It was claimed by one that this will instantly strengthen the Celtic nations for the 2013WC. It probably will in terms of that tournament, but it won't accelerate the number of Celtic players of high enough standard. All that will happen is some players will discover they are related to a highland terrier and fancy a run out for Scotland. They will suffer mysterious injuries for almost every other Scotland game and perhaps pop up at the next big game. That's false representation in my eyes.

To me, this utterly sums up why RL is in the state it is regional and development wise. Rather than develop things from the bottom up and see if it grows (which is what happens now), pressure is put on the 'authorities' by vocal critics to get an instant result. When it doesn't work instantly, these same critics are lambasting the same authorities as incompetent and they need to do such and such instead.

I welcome the idea of a GB team but only when the player pool warrants it. To do it anytime soon is just false. If a player turns out for say, Scotland in the 2008 WC, and then changes his allegiance to England a bit later, it suggests to me that this player wasn't actually very Scottish to begin with. Nor is the alternative to pack the teams full of Aussies either. The only true way to do it, is wait. But why wait when we can try and fix it in 5 minutes.

I would support the return of the Great Britain team IF - and only if - it was used sparingly - e.g for tours down under every four years. The rest of the time the individual nations should be wheeled out. That way it's something special. Give the *nion lot credit, their 'Lions' tours are followed by tens of thousands of people. We want to make the GB RL team special and get that kind of following. I know tours have been popular in the past, so could be again… but they have to be rare and special. The individual home nations need to keep working hard to strengthen themselves.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#3 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Why we can't just have a GB team to tour and host tours every 4 years, as originally planned when the England team was created, i don't know..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,612 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

if at first you don't succeed...etc etc. A GB team would be substantially the same as an England team, in my view. Having made the change from GB to home nations, PLEASE can we stick with if for say 8 years or more., That is how long it will take in my view, given the low number of internationals we play, for any real progress to be made.

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Why we can't just have a GB team to tour and host tours every 4 years, as originally planned when the England team was created, i don't know..

Surely the GB team has to contain different players from the England side? Otherwise where's the GB bit about it? It's just England. Even one Welsh or Irish player would make it viable but at the moment that isn't the case. RU Lions have such support because they have their own real Scottish or Irish players to make them feel part of the whole thing.

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

bringing back GB will destroy all the development of the game in wales,scotland & ireland...........even though ireland want nothing to do with GB...

given the low number of internationals we play

england,scotland,ireland & wales have played nearly 60 tests over the last 4 years.........thats more than at any time under a GB system

if we want to strengthen the "celtic nations" we should strengthen the laws to stop players switching nations......players will soon realise that not every one can play for england and will explore possible heritage ties to a celtic nation.....and once they play for them they get locked in...simple

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

Surely the GB team has to contain different players from the England side?

nope

OLDHAM RLFC

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

I would support the return of the Great Britain team IF - and only if - it was used sparingly - e.g for tours down under every four years. The rest of the time the individual nations should be wheeled out. That way it's something special. Give the *nion lot credit, their 'Lions' tours are followed by tens of thousands of people. We want to make the GB RL team special and get that kind of following. I know tours have been popular in the past, so could be again… but they have to be rare and special. The individual home nations need to keep working hard to strengthen themselves.

Agree with that.

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

nope

Then it's England. Why pretend otherwise?

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

exactly.........thats why we should'nt bring GB back

Edited by roughyedspud, 06 November 2012 - 09:45 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

exactly.........thats why we should'nt bring GB back

Sorry, misunderstood what you meant. As you said, tightening up the switching laws would ensure players who start for Scotland, stay with them.

#12 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,048 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

As others have stated ,we can't resurrect a GB team until the Celtic nations are stronger.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

and that is the reason we need a scots, irish and welsh super league club to strengthen the international teams from each country just like it has for france.............................. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i can see it now, drogheda demons, clachnacuddin cheetahs and tonypandy terriers..................................

Edited by Viking Warrior, 06 November 2012 - 09:53 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#14 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

It was claimed by one that this will instantly strengthen the Celtic nations for the 2013WC.

Probably missing something major here, but how will GB strengthen the Celtic nations considering there are about 3 international fixtures at best until the World Cup? Must admit here, I haven't read anything about this on twitter etc
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#15 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

and that is the reason we need a scots, irish and welsh super league club to strengthen the international teams from each country just like it has for france.............................. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i can see it now, drogheda demons, clachnacuddin cheetahs and tonypandy terriers..................................

france are in a far stronger position now than they where 10 years ago.........you're also not recognizing how much better england actually are.

OLDHAM RLFC

#16 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

it must be so rosy in your world, these pointless internationals have proved beyond doubt that france are woeful and england are decidedly average, it just hasn't worked so why persist with it???
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#17 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

it must be so rosy in your world, these pointless internationals have proved beyond doubt that france are woeful and england are decidedly average, it just hasn't worked so why persist with it???

what "has'nt worked" exactly?

whats funny is the last time australia played france it was 42-4.......yet we beat france 44-6 and we're decidedly average :lol:

Edited by roughyedspud, 06 November 2012 - 10:07 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#18 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

That's a superb post and one that should sent to those who are in a position to make these changes.

I was disturbed by the way Great Britain appeared to vanish off the rugby league map without so much as a whimper... but to see GB return so quickly indicates a lack of clarity of thought.

The worst thing of all - and one that the much maligned Andy Wilson mentioned recently in a match report vis-a-vis Sam Tomkins' superseding of Alf Ellaby as England's top try scorer - is that here is a sport that doesn't appear to know what to call its own national team. For, as Wilson said, the breaking of this particular record doesn't actually mean that much when England played as GB for much of this time and when Mick Sullivan scored more tries than Tomkins and Ellaby combined.

There are dyed-in-the-wool rugby league fans who - without recourse to the record books - will be ignorant as to whether it was England or GB that took part in any given World Cup. This has meant listening to BBC TV commentators of recent and current vintage who repeatedly betray their confusion on this point. Which other sport is so careless with its own history? Is there such confusion in football or rugby union or cricket as to which are the most-capped players or top scorers or precisely how many times World Cup competitions have been entered and won?

Imagine England winning the World Cup next year -- go on, try - and then finding out that in the next World Cup it will be GB as this country's representative... it simply doesn't make sense.

And if England were to win the World Cup, I would then want to see if they could defeat NZ in a series and - the holy of holies - beat Australia in a 3-Test match Ashes series.

The only thing that needs changing is England's kit - it is ugly, horrid, gaudy, "cheap" and nasty. It lacks class and dignity and says nothing, nothing at all that the players chosen to wear it are among the best and bravest athletes in any team sport anywhere in the world. :angry:

#19 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

the new international format, i remember when england and wales put out great teams packed with talent but today the product in substandard to say the least. apart from the odd surprise result france have always been the whipping boys of international rugby so nothing has changed.................

#20 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Aye, they'd be dancing in the streets of Clachnacuddin if that came about!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users