RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

GB team to return?

Short termism

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#61 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Ohh dear is that your best ? Careful not to lose that brain cell next time you sneeze ,wouldn't want you to forget your log in details lol!

Yeah, lol. Absolutely hilarious.

I'd worry about remembering your log in details though, at least until you are banned for being an unfunny waste of space. No offence.

#62 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,544 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

the new international format, i remember when england and wales put out great teams packed with talent but today the product in substandard to say the least. apart from the odd surprise result france have always been the whipping boys of international rugby so nothing has changed.................

Really? So the French team of the 50's is a figment of my imagination I presume?

I realise that this was before SL - the birth of RL.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#63 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hay you started it ,I nearly put a point across as it was my point of view .I grew up in a time when Great Britain was the RL national team in these islands and i wore my jersey with pride thinking back to the great series and games against Australia in the early 90 and seeing the worlds best footie players go head to head and we had the strongest rep team possible and we took from union not the other way round!

#64 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hay you started it ,I nearly put a point across as it was my point of view .I grew up in a time when Great Britain was the RL national team in these islands and i wore my jersey with pride thinking back to the great series and games against Australia in the early 90 and seeing the worlds best footie players go head to head and we had the strongest rep team possible and we took from union not the other way round!

Er, yeah...because RU players were banned from playing RL. It's a little bit different today.

#65 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

we had the strongest rep team possible and we took from union not the other way round!

Which is why most clubs were close to bankruptcy.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#66 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,168 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

.I grew up in a time when Great Britain was the RL national team in these islands

when was that? I have England playing Wales in 1884, 1982, 1980, 1978, 1977, 1975, 1970, 1969, 1968......

#67 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Er, yeah...because RU players were banned from playing RL. It's a little bit different today.

And why where they banned ??????? They where banned because union was terrified of league taking all there best players and it was the only deterrent they had to stop players going north ,in other words Rugby League was the code with the best players in the world back then ,I time I'd like to see return and diluting the talent pool to support 4 nations instead of 1 means its unlikely we will compete with Australia or even New Zealand on an competative footing anytime soon !

#68 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

when was that? I have England playing Wales in 1884, 1982, 1980, 1978, 1977, 1975, 1970, 1969, 1968......

I'd say most of the 70s 80s 90s 00s Great Britain was our main rep team apart from World Cup years from 95 onward ,until GB was discontinued I think around 07 or 08

The last rep team from here to win the World Cup was Great Britain in 70 I believe !

#69 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Yeah, the reason for the ban was that they were terrified. :rolleyes:

Even if that were true, we live in 2012 and have to deal with that, not some romantic notion of how things were. You can pretend its 1985 if you want, I'll accept things have changed. Do you still demand your wages in cash and all your films on video?

#70 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

My point is why should we weaken our national team by splitting the talent pool among 4 teams!

#71 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

My point is why should we weaken our national team by splitting the talent pool among 4 teams!

We haven't,as the tri nations and England Knights games have shown.

#72 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

How is it weakening anything? Its the same players involved regardless of what you call them. Accommodating players in Celtic nation teams just to give them a game in the WC is not development. Historically there were no Ireland or Scotland RL at all. And Wales were just ex RU players. So what has been weakened? Non existent teams?

#73 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

We haven't,as the tri nations and England Knights games have shown.

And generally your right ,but lets say a talented young player coming through who did not qualify for England had a choice of playing union or league ,what would you choose ,a chance to represent say Wales or Scotland against NZ or Aus in union in front of 50 to 70k or a chance to represent said teams in a tri nations game against the England 2nd XIII on a ###### day in Dewsbury or somewhere in front of half a dozen people and a whippit ?

#74 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

And generally your right ,but lets say a talented young player coming through who did not qualify for England had a choice of playing union or league ,what would you choose ,a chance to represent say Wales or Scotland against NZ or Aus in union in front of 50 to 70k or a chance to represent said teams in a tri nations game against the England 2nd XIII on a ###### day in Dewsbury or somewhere in front of half a dozen people and a whippit ?

Many have chosen League,many have chosen Union.

#75 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,153 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

And why where they banned ??????? They where banned because union was terrified of league taking all there best players and it was the only deterrent they had to stop players going north ,in other words Rugby League was the code with the best players in the world back then ,I time I'd like to see return and diluting the talent pool to support 4 nations instead of 1 means its unlikely we will compete with Australia or even New Zealand on an competative footing anytime soon !

Regardless of the reasons for the ban, the fact is the union landscape is different now. And the union landscape isn't stronger because RL is weaker, it's stronger because it is now professional.
So gone are the days of picking off union talent. They have money.

As for diluting, how many players that aren't English or union converts have played for GB?...
Posted Image

#76 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

You do realise that is how Scotland & Ireland RU were at one point? There is nothing wrong with starting at the bottom, its better than pretending you can wave a wand and having 'Irish' RL players.

#77 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,422 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Great Britain was Always the traditional national side of these islands ,rugby league will never amount to anything in Scotland or Ireland so it stands to reason GB should be the sole national team with the best players representing the team regardless of where they hail from in the islands ,Also gave RL a point of difference from Union and would have got a indirect boost from the Team GB hype around the Olympics!

Ireland has nothing whatsoever to do with Great Britain for a start...

Apart from being neighbours, that is. Before the creation of the current Ireland set-up they didn't have a national side!

And anyway, I thought you were afraid of British RL dying yesterday, whereas today you're seemingly wanting to withdraw the game from many parts of Britain (and Ireland!). Make your mind up.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#78 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Ireland has nothing whatsoever to do with Great Britain for a start...

Apart from being neighbours, that is. Before the creation of the current Ireland set-up they didn't have a national side!

And anyway, I thought you were afraid of British RL dying yesterday, whereas today you're seemingly wanting to withdraw the game from many parts of Britain (and Ireland!). Make your mind up.

Yeah but if League is to expand beyond the heartland it's not going to happen via a 3rd rate national side made up of players with tenuous links to a country but by following the NZ Warriors Or Melbourne Storm model ,give Dublin or Glasgow a SL team that can build on the grass roots over decades ,a global competition was what Super League was ment to be all about after all ,if the game fails to grow into new areas and markets will it just wilt and die ???

#79 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,153 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Yeah but if League is to expand beyond the heartland it's not going to happen via a 3rd rate national side made up of players with tenuous links to a country

No, of course RL will grow in Ireland via a national side that doesn't even have anything to do with them!

Great argument!

but by following the NZ Warriors Or Melbourne Storm model ,give Dublin or Glasgow a SL team that can build on the grass roots over decades ,a global competition was what Super League was ment to be all about after all ,if the game fails to grow into new areas and markets will it just wilt and die ???

With what money, oh great one?

You really haven't thought this through much have you?
Posted Image

#80 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'm just putting forward a point and i have thought through all sorts of possabilities ,most TV partners for other sports try to encourage expansion so maybe u try to get sky to fund a team in Dublin the way Fox did with the Storm ,but if the game can't make demands of its TV partners to help it expand and is as skint as you think then maybe the point I put across yesterday isn't that far off the mark, it was roomerd that Wigan had looked at joining the RFU a few years back !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users