I grew up

I don't believe you!

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#82 BringbackGB

BringbackGB
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

‘GB team to return?’ Yes it was the wrong decision, albeit for the right reasons, to ditch GB in the first place. The consensus in the game from fans and players alike is for a return to GB, with a team representing the whole of the British Isles and the consequent higher profile that the players so rightfully deserve.

So long as the return of the GB Lions is handled properly and complements the development of the game in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales it’s something to be welcomed.

However, with the most important Rugby event ever coming to these shores next year the RFL must emphasise that the GB Lions issue is not up for discussion and the only item on the agenda should be the World Cup.

#83 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,813 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Who says the consensus among fans is to bring back GB?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#84 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

When there are quality Celtic players good enough to play for GB that will be the time to bring back GB as a touring team. Right now GB would just be England wearing different shirts. What's the point?

#85 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

‘GB team to return?’ Yes it was the wrong decision, albeit for the right reasons, to ditch GB in the first place. The consensus in the game from fans and players alike is for a return to GB, with a team representing the whole of the British Isles and the consequent higher profile that the players so rightfully deserve.

So long as the return of the GB Lions is handled properly and complements the development of the game in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales it’s something to be welcomed.

However, with the most important Rugby event ever coming to these shores next year the RFL must emphasise that the GB Lions issue is not up for discussion and the only item on the agenda should be the World Cup.

Well said totally agree !

#86 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,813 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

But we don't have a team representing the whole of the British Isles do we?

When we do, brilliant, until then its false to claim so.

#87 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

The consensus in the game from fans and players alike is for a return to GB.

I'm a fan and I don't want the return of GB. Tis pointless. GB is just England by another name. I want the northern hemisphere to have a competitive international game and so what I would like to see is a strong France, Wales, Scotland and N Ireland as well as England. It's a long term view and will take a lot of time, effort, money and probably luck to achieve but I would much prefer that than a meaningless GB which by its existence negates developing a healthy northern hemisphere international scene.

#88 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,939 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

The consensus in the game from fans and players alike is for a return to GB,

No it it is not. Publish the evidence to support your assertion. By the way, what was your original user name?

#89 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,740 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

You know it's a poor argument when it is claimed that the fans want it back, yet almost all of the replies are against it!
Posted Image

#90 scrumhalf

scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 968 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

But we don't have a team representing the whole of the British Isles do we?

When we do, brilliant, until then its false to claim so.

gb does represent the whole of great britain, whether any scottish irish or welsh players are good enough to be selected at this moment in time is irrelevant but any that are good enough will be selected as and when

#91 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,813 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

gb does represent the whole of great britain, whether any scottish irish or welsh players are good enough to be selected at this moment in time is irrelevant but any that are good enough will be selected as and when

I could accept that if it was just a blip. But historically almost every non English player has been from RU with no stand alone development. It will be a while before these players develop, until then it is an English team.

Now there is some development in order to stop the reliance on heritage players or Aussies, why throw that away?

#92 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,740 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'm just putting forward a point and i have thought through all sorts of possabilities ,most TV partners for other sports try to encourage expansion so maybe u try to get sky to fund a team in Dublin the way Fox did with the Storm ,but if the game can't make demands of its TV partners to help it expand and is as skint as you think then maybe the point I put across yesterday isn't that far off the mark, it was roomerd that Wigan had looked at joining the RFU a few years back !

Just because we can't afford it doesn't mean the game is skint. It just means we're not rich and have millions of pounds to chuck around on a project! We're living within our means.

The game needs to attract backers and other investment specifically for these things.

This isn't the NRL. We aren't one if top two sports. We don't have billion pound contracts to play with. That doesn't mean we're going to die!
Posted Image

#93 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

I think the work done by the RFL establishing the England brand has been pretty good and the other home nations have benefited from having their 'own' teams, but you can't expect success over night.

I would however bring back GB for tours every four years for the following reasons:

- It would mean a player such as Danny Brough could chose, for example, Scotland and be confident that in every four year cycle he could compete on the world stage at least twice, once in WC and once in a GB tour.
- it may reduce the end of season player drop outs we get come international time, especially from Aus based GB players as they would want to take the rare chance to get a GB jersey. Therefore we'd see our best players together more regularly. This would benefit England team assuming most of GB team would be English.
- The GB tour would undoubtedly get good publicity and bring another real event to the RL calendar.

But we should stick with England as our primary rep team and I think we should also have some official event to recognise/combine previous international caps/performances/points for alternate rep teams.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#94 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

And why where they banned ??????? They where banned because union was terrified of league taking all there best players and it was the only deterrent they had to stop players going north ,in other words Rugby League was the code with the best players in the world back then ,I time I'd like to see return and diluting the talent pool to support 4 nations instead of 1 means its unlikely we will compete with Australia or even New Zealand on an competative footing anytime soon !

Except that the talent pool is not being diluted. All the best talent in the British game is in the England and the England Knights squads - because the best players are English!

In the past the backbone of the GB side was the English contingent, backed up by the best our clubs could buy from Welsh union and, occasionally, Scottish, English and Irish union. Those sources have now gone and are not going to return - why would, for example, a Welsh union star go to a league club for less money?

The flip side of this, of course, is that any Welsh, Scottish and Irish talent that our game produces will be fair game when it comes to cashed-up union scouts - it may be the case that any player that looked like being able to displace an English RL international would be targetted by their union nation.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#95 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

This.

Make the GB jersey an aspiration, a genuine reward.

Someone mentioned the Olympics. A jersey only awarded every four years is the equivalent you're looking for.

And, to repeat: that was the ###### plan until the ARL/NZRL decided not to play ball.

But surely, for an Englishman, the England shirt is the ultimate? I can understand that in union bringing in players from Wales, Scotland and Ireland does raise the standard, but in league it would actually diminish it.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#96 BringbackGB

BringbackGB
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

No it it is not. Publish the evidence to support your assertion. By the way, what was your original user name?

Consensus noun general feeling or agreement; the majority view

I can only support my assertion by anecdotal evidence as a consensus doesn’t represent a detailed analysis.

I’m a latecomer to the sport only attending games since the early 90’s. Prior to that soccer had been my sporting love, but once I’d seen my first RL game it re-ignited a sporting passion and enthusiasm that I’d last experienced as a boy kicking a football in a primary school yard. At all the Super League, Championship 1, Wales and England fixtures I’ve attended since 2007 I’ve yet to hear an opinion expressed that doesn’t lament the demise of GB. More worryingly, outside the mainstream RL community if I mention international RL in my local pub most people mention the Jonathan Davies try at Wembley in 1994.

After the World Cup perhaps the RFL could solicit the views of the players and fans as to whether GB should be re-introduced.

I don’t like you question ‘By the way, what was your original user name?’ This infers I’m some sort of troll using multiple online identities to propagate my views. You’ve demeaned yourself with that cheap shot which is a great shame as I’ve always read your posts with interest even if I don’t agree with your views. I’m posting and always have posted under my original user name. I can only suggest that you contact the site administrator or moderator to confirm this. I’m looking forward to you apology but I won’t hold my breath.

:(

#97 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,740 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

I think the work done by the RFL establishing the England brand has been pretty good and the other home nations have benefited from having their 'own' teams, but you can't expect success over night.

Personally disagree with this point.
I think the RFL have messed up a lot with the England brand. They haven't developed a strip yet that is iconic, and the badge looks like a Sports Direct knock off. I think if they'd have gotten this right, they'd have gotten a lot more support.
Posted Image

#98 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,939 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

I don’t like you question ‘By the way, what was your original user name?’

I'm glad you are not holding your breath. Its not good for you. I was meaning to imply that Lesmet had a previous incarnation on here, not you.

Edited by JohnM, 06 November 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#99 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Consensus noun general feeling or agreement; the majority view

I can only support my assertion by anecdotal evidence as a consensus doesn’t represent a detailed analysis.

I’m a latecomer to the sport only attending games since the early 90’s. Prior to that soccer had been my sporting love, but once I’d seen my first RL game it re-ignited a sporting passion and enthusiasm that I’d last experienced as a boy kicking a football in a primary school yard. At all the Super League, Championship 1, Wales and England fixtures I’ve attended since 2007 I’ve yet to hear an opinion expressed that doesn’t lament the demise of GB. More worryingly, outside the mainstream RL community if I mention international RL in my local pub most people mention the Jonathan Davies try at Wembley in 1994.

After the World Cup perhaps the RFL could solicit the views of the players and fans as to whether GB should be re-introduced.

I don’t like you question ‘By the way, what was your original user name?’ This infers I’m some sort of troll using multiple online identities to propagate my views. You’ve demeaned yourself with that cheap shot which is a great shame as I’ve always read your posts with interest even if I don’t agree with your views. I’m posting and always have posted under my original user name. I can only suggest that you contact the site administrator or moderator to confirm this. I’m looking forward to you apology but I won’t hold my breath.

:(

Yet again I totally agree ,I just joined this board last night and accused of being a troll ,there seems to be a flat earth thing going on ,if anybody says or shares a concern that doesn't fit or a little bit from left field they get panned as being a union lover, and I thought league was a forward thinking modern game not afraid to experiment for the good of the game!

#100 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

I'm glad you are not holding your breath. Its not good for you. I was meaning to imply that Lesmet had a previous incarnation on here, not you.

Actually I've never been on this board before ,just joined last night !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users