RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What would happen to Super League if Sky pull out?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

With the EPL getting massive money outta sky what would happen if Super League failed to get a TV partner willing to put major money in to keep the top teams afloat and competition viable ,and b4 anyone goes off about me putting this on a forum and I don't like RL ,it's because I love the game I bring this up as it could be a very real possibility in years to come !

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

We'd reintroduce the 5m rule and pre season County Cups.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I can really see the Aussies going for that lol!

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Let's treat this as a serious question, then. Sky dropping SL would be bad business, and Sky rarely do bad business. They're getting a ratings winner dirt cheap, after all.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Ok should SL hold out for more money then to compete with Union and the NRL???

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Let's treat this as a serious question, then. Sky dropping SL would be bad business, and Sky rarely do bad business. They're getting a ratings winner dirt cheap, after all.

I can why Sky would offload something expensive that sinks down the ratings - say thirty fat blokes botting each other in the mud whilst Simon Barnes has an orgasm - but losing rugby league is something they've shown themselves unwilling to do. As you say, they get it cheap, it's good ratings and guaranteed good television.

If they were to drop it - I think it more likely they'd try to pay less - we know that ESPN are desperate for content right now.
- Severus, July 2012

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

If ESPN are really desperate, we shoukld give then rights to all the WC games not being covered by either Sky, the BBC or French TV. When we know which TV companies are actually covering the WC, that is.

#8 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

ESPN seem to be planning an exit strategy from the UK market with the loss of PremierLeague and Union

#9 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

With the EPL getting massive money outta sky what would happen if Super League failed to get a TV partner willing to put major money in to keep the top teams afloat and competition viable ,and b4 anyone goes off about me putting this on a forum and I don't like RL ,it's because I love the game I bring this up as it could be a very real possibility in years to come !

What makes you think it could be 'a very real possibility'? Other than to troll this forum?

Sky have actually expanded their coverage of RL this year (Super League Supermen & Backchat, in addition to the usual live slots and Boots n All).

They seem to have more confidence in its future than you. <_<

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

ESPN seem to be planning an exit strategy from the UK market with the loss of PremierLeague and Union

It's a pretty poor exit strategy in that they keep bidding for things.
- Severus, July 2012

#11 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

i would like someone to tell me how much each sport receives per minute of coverage

i think RL is worth twice what it currently gets, and BT are now market contendors too

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

The answer to the OP is they'd either get another TV contract or go back to playing part-time.

I'm not particularly worried that this is going to happen though.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#13 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

What makes you think it could be 'a very real possibility'? Other than to troll this forum?

Sky have actually expanded their coverage of RL this year (Super League Supermen &amp; Backchat, in addition to the usual live slots and Boots n All).

They seem to have more confidence in its future than you. <_<

More just a what if concern ,I got to thinking about it after the Grand Final ,which when you look at it seemed to lack the hype and grandure of a NRL or AFL Grand Final ,if the GF is the biggest game in this country why is it played at a football stadium without proper field marking or branding ,it's almost like RL is apologising for being at Old Trafford ,we keep accepting 2nd best the game should be played at a venue like Wembley where the field can be marked properly and our Grand Final can actually be the massive spectacle it deserves to be , I just think back to a time when a test v Australia was massive and filled Wembley , since The Super League War I just think the game has gone backward !

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,173 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Evidence? Proof? Shape up or ship out.

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,157 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

GB v Australia has never filled Wembley. Ever.

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,173 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

I just think back to a time when a test v Australia was massive and filled Wembley ,

when was that then, kid?

#17 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

It's my opinion that you should reserve judgement until after next years Rugby World Cup. I think it's going to be massive and we could have three hunomgeous crowds at the Millenium, Wembley and Old Trafford ( Are those grounds big enough for you ) and the French home games will be capacity attendances also.

The preliminary ticket sales have been strong. If it turns out to be a flop, you might have a valid point and Sky might lose interest.

My opinion is that Sky will have good ratings and free to air coverage from the BBC as a joint broadcaster will also be huge ( if that happens).

If things go right the result might be more Sky involvment not less.

#18 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

GB v Australia has never filled Wembley. Ever.

Maybe not but they drew over 70,000 to the old Wembley.

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,157 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Maybe not but they drew over 70,000 to the old Wembley.

Once. And that still isn't full.

#20 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Once. And that still isn't full.

I,m not disputing that but isn't it a record attendance for a RL international in this country?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users