League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What would happen to Super League if Sky pull out?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Is it a crime to want this game to be as big here as State of Origin is in Australia ,that's how you capture people's imagination Super League headed down this road in 97 but that was with heavy Australian influence but after the reached a peace the looked inward ,I just think the administrators here and at international level have taken us backward !

#22 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I,m not disputing that but isn't it a record attendance for a RL international in this country?

Manchester United's record attendance is at Manchester City's ground.

Should they move to Eastlands?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#23 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Is it a crime to want this game to be as big here as State of Origin is in Australia ,that's how you capture people's imagination Super League headed down this road in 97 but that was with heavy Australian influence but after the reached a peace the looked inward ,I just think the administrators here and at international level have taken us backward !

Are you actually cradling a photo of Eddie Waring right now?
- Severus, July 2012

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,813 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

I,m not disputing that but isn't it a record attendance for a RL international in this country?

I think so. But they also had 9400 -ish at Wembley, it doesn't prove anything picking out certain games.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#25 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Seeing as we are talking International RL here and we have never had a home ground, WTF are you talking about?

#26 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

What would happen to the Premier League if Sky pulled out?

(Another daft question)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#27 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

If we're adding to the daft questions what would happen too coronation street if itv pulled out?

#28 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,813 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

If we're adding to the daft questions what would happen too coronation street if itv pulled out?

Norris would take to twitter describing ITV as a farce and a joke.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

i would like someone to tell me how much each sport receives per minute of coverage

i think RL is worth twice what it currently gets, and BT are now market contendors too

More to the point, you could ask how much each sport costs the broadcaster per rated viewer - that would be a question whose answer would show RL in a very good light, compared to many other sports.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#30 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

If SKY ever did look like they were pulling out of RL then I'm Sure the RFL would try and seek out an alternative.
Bein Sport, the Al Jazeera owned outfit could well be interested.
AJ lost out on Premiership soccer which is SKY's most watched and lucrative deal. They may well look to taking over the 2nd best watched sport on SKY. Which would not cost a lot for them!
As if SKY would just sit back and allow AJ to take Super League off them. It won't happen.
Best think the RFL/SL can do is get them both to bid against each other for SL.
That might be lucrative!

#31 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Just to be pedantic, it wasn't at Eastlands. It was long before Eastlands was built. It was before even I was born! (and City's record crowd was bigger :P)

Edited by tonyXIII, 06 November 2012 - 06:45 PM.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#32 BringbackGB

BringbackGB
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

‘What would happen to Super League if Sky pull out?’

RL Super League consistently tops the viewing figures for sport, apart from soccer, on Sky I can only assume that Sky would ‘pull out’ if they were outbid by another broadcaster. So, in answer to the original question Super League would be even better with a higher salary cap and more money trickling down to fund junior development.

#33 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Are you actually cradling a photo of Eddie Waring right now?

Simon Barnes would be my guess.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#34 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Just to be pedantic, it wasn't at Eastlands. It was long before Eastlands was built. It was before even I was born! (and City's record crowd was bigger :P)

Yes, but "should they move to Maine Road" doesn't work when Maine Road has (I presume) been knocked down.
- Severus, July 2012

#35 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Simon Barnes would be my guess.

Na Ray French and Ray Warren where more my voice of Rugby League!

#36 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,672 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Sometimes you need a good troll to reunite the forum behind the game of RL. In fact, I think we've missed a good influx of bridge-dwellers.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#37 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Sometimes you need a good troll to reunite the forum behind the game of RL. In fact, I think we've missed a good influx of bridge-dwellers.

Not sure about the first use of the word "good" here.

"Obvious" might have been more appropriate.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#38 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I think that if Sky pull out then SL (even RL) will cease to exist all the clubs will turn to union where all the big money is and all the fans will embrace line-outs, rucks, mauls and eight man penalty ravaged scrums.

Now he's got the answer he wants will he begger off.

Edited by Padge, 06 November 2012 - 09:06 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#39 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

I would love to see Sky pull out of Super league. Maybe then, all Rugby League clubs would be treated equally. Then we would see who runs their business well. Suddenly Halifax, Dewsbury, Leigh etc would be the big noises!

#40 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Crowds would go up !!

A new broadcaster would bid to cover the game.

Who knows what would happen, but league is a far better game than union tennis

Hope my response meets your approval, now #### off back to trolling on another forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users