Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What would happen to Super League if Sky pull out?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,547 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

I would love to see Sky pull out of Super league. Maybe then, all Rugby League clubs would be treated equally. Then we would see who runs their business well. Suddenly Halifax, Dewsbury, Leigh etc would be the big noises!

I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek or not?
Posted Image

#42 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

I think that if Sky pull out then SL (even RL) will cease to exist all the clubs will turn to union where all the big money is and all the fans will embrace line-outs, rucks, mauls and eight man penalty ravaged scrums.

Now he's got the answer he wants will he begger off.

Actually I dont think crowds would decrease much if at all even if clubs went part time (with sone full timers) because matches would be closer results - what fans really want. Therefore there would still be revenues from crowds and sponsorship, just no sky money. We'd still be able to keep our stars full time but not the entire squads.

In fact crowds across the board may increase despite a drop in fitness. The main problem would be whether crowds could be maintained

#43 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Actually I dont think crowds would decrease much if at all even if clubs went part time (with sone full timers) because matches would be closer results - what fans really want. Therefore there would still be revenues from crowds and sponsorship, just no sky money. We'd still be able to keep our stars full time but not the entire squads.

In fact crowds across the board may increase despite a drop in fitness. The main problem would be whether crowds could be maintained

I know im gonna get flamed for sayin it but Would clubs like Saints or Wigan accept that or would they look to revenue that could be gained by joining Union or even the NRL though the logistics of that would be insane ,but I remember the Southern Orcas considering a bid to Super League after the NRL went with the Gold Coast , poss a European conference within the NRL

#44 dave the euph

dave the euph
  • Coach
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

Sky dropped the championship and they seem to be doing ok

am i bovvered

#45 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

Sky dropped the championship and they seem to be doing ok

The Championship clubs didn't receive any money for the TV deal. So it made no difference when sky dropped the coverage.

#46 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

I know im gonna get flamed for sayin it but Would clubs like Saints or Wigan accept that or would they look to revenue that could be gained by joining Union or even the NRL though the logistics of that would be insane ,but I remember the Southern Orcas considering a bid to Super League after the NRL went with the Gold Coast , poss a European conference within the NRL

If Saints or Wigan joined Union they would have very few of the fans they have now thus negating much or all of the extra funding that may come Union broadcast rights - that's assuming they could join union at a high level rather than working their way through the leagues.

My reasoning for this, simple, any fans wanting to watch union can do but in my experience most League fans are that - League fans
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#47 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

I can why Sky would offload something expensive that sinks down the ratings - say thirty fat blokes botting each other in the mud whilst Simon Barnes has an orgasm - but losing rugby league is something they've shown themselves unwilling to do. As you say, they get it cheap, it's good ratings and guaranteed good television.

If they were to drop it - I think it more likely they'd try to pay less - we know that ESPN are desperate for content right now.

Simon Barnes like RL, not RU. He is scathing about RU.

#48 brooza

brooza
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Seeing as we are talking International RL here and we have never had a home ground, WTF are you talking about?

I thought we were talking about the Grand Final

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#49 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

With the EPL getting massive money outta sky what would happen if Super League failed to get a TV partner willing to put major money in to keep the top teams afloat and competition viable ,and b4 anyone goes off about me putting this on a forum and I don't like RL ,it's because I love the game I bring this up as it could be a very real possibility in years to come !

The game would be finished. A lot on here would never admit it, but its true.

#50 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

I can't think of anyone who doesn't realise the importance of sky money. But the same is true of all pro sports. Do you remember what happened to so many football clubs when ITV digital went under? And that's football where single clubs earn more money than the whole of RL.

You may as well ask any number of obvious questions. Unless sky have hinted they are looking to offload RL, why would you ask such a question?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#51 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,850 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

The game at professional level would be in difficulties if another backer couldn't be found.

Sky is not the only player.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#52 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

As mentioned before, Super League rates currently on Sky, and the club part of it gets significant crowds and has a strong following in parts of the country. For those reasons alone, someone would always bid for the rights to Rugby League in the UK, if for no other reason than to gain a guaranteed ratings group.

Would they bid as much as Sky? Well that naturally depends on a lot of factors, ie. if this ever happened, who are the other competitors, strength of market tension, state of the economy and so on, so if Sky was to pull out, League might have to live with less or equal funds as to what it is getting now from TV, which would have an effect on the competition, but still the sport would still exist, and a professional competition would still exist, it just might have to re-evaluate living within it's means.
Posted Image

#53 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,104 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Wigan and Saints could get more money in Union now, so why wouldn't they look into this now?

#54 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 444 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Wigan and Saints could get more money in Union now, so why wouldn't they look into this now?

Surely the extra money they would get from the RFU would be offset by the dramatic fall in crowds if they were to switch codes?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#55 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Surely the extra money they would get from the RFU would be offset by the dramatic fall in crowds if they were to switch codes?

The likes of Wigan or Saints wouldn't get huge amounts of money from Union if they to switch unless they went straight into the premiership, which I would think would leave the RFU open to legal address from clubs that had to make way. Therefore they would have to work their way through the leagues on virtually nil support
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#56 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,975 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

I would love to see Sky pull out of Super league. Maybe then, all Rugby League clubs would be treated equally. Then we would see who runs their business well. Suddenly Halifax, Dewsbury, Leigh etc would be the big noises!

And we could open the pits again then we would have proper forrards like before.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#57 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

I can why Sky would offload something expensive that sinks down the ratings - say thirty fat blokes botting each other in the mud whilst Simon Barnes has an orgasm - but losing rugby league is something they've shown themselves unwilling to do. As you say, they get it cheap, it's good ratings and guaranteed good television.

If they were to drop it - I think it more likely they'd try to pay less - we know that ESPN are desperate for content right now.

Just wanted to quote this, not because of anything you said mate, but I do love your sig :D

Edited by ParraEelsNRL, 07 November 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#58 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Once. And that still isn't full.

Better than 0 eh? ;)

#59 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

No no you have it wrong. To get the revenue lost by Sky pulling out they would look to where the money is and switch to being teams playing in the Indian Premier League 20/20.

Edited by Li0nhead, 07 November 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#60 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

You may as well ask any number of obvious questions. Unless sky have hinted they are looking to offload RL, why would you ask such a question?

The question was asked so debate can take place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users