TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

What would happen to Super League if Sky pull out?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#61 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

The game at professional level would be in difficulties if another backer couldn't be found.

Sky is not the only player.

The game at professional level would be in difficulties if another backer couldn't be found.

Sky is not the only player.

The posters point was no one else had come forward and SKY pulled out.
My point still stands. The game would be finished.

#62 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

The posters point was no one else had come forward and SKY pulled out.
My point still stands. The game would be finished.

Same would go for football if Sky pulled out and no one else came forward
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#63 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

The reason I asked the question was something that occurred to me when the Commission took over in Australia ,the commission it's self is a total reverse to Super League and they needed assurances from News Corp that they wouldn't attempt a rival comp.
Now with this in mind back in 1996 when the game switched to summer and News Corp paid the big money the intention was that they would control all RL and and the game globally would be run under the News Corp/Super League banner since this is no longer the case and News Corps influence over the Australian game is grately diminished ,would they ever consider dropping Super League to help fund retention of other sports like Soccer and dare I say it Union with them all about to go to war over European TV rights and BT making a big play for rights.

#64 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

The reason I asked the question was something that occurred to me when the Commission took over in Australia ,the commission it's self is a total reverse to Super League and they needed assurances from News Corp that they wouldn't attempt a rival comp.
Now with this in mind back in 1996 when the game switched to summer and News Corp paid the big money the intention was that they would control all RL and and the game globally would be run under the News Corp/Super League banner since this is no longer the case and News Corps influence over the Australian game is grately diminished ,would they ever consider dropping Super League to help fund retention of other sports like Soccer and dare I say it Union with them all about to go to war over European TV rights and BT making a big play for rights.

Sport is completely different in Australia compared to here.

Sky have a TV deal, irrespective of what people like to claim. They do not own the game.

#65 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Sport is completely different in Australia compared to here.

Sky have a TV deal, irrespective of what people like to claim. They do not own the game.

Exactly ,in Australia Nine has always bean the main partner ,with Fox on the outside at the time this was the main reason for the superleague war and the fact they don't own the game may put them off bidding as much next time for UK superleague

#66 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,520 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

The question was asked so debate can take place.

So.....what would happen to the PL if sky and other broadcasters pulled out?

#67 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

I'm worried about what would happen to rugby league if a meteor destroyed the earth.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#68 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,520 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

I'm worried about what would happen to rugby league if a meteor destroyed the earth.

I hope a meteorite does hit the earth, then we'll see how super 'super duper league' really is!

#69 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

I hope a meteorite does hit the earth, then we'll see how super 'super duper league' really is!

There'd be a lot less aussie arrogance too.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#70 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Simple if no other backer came in there would be mass free agency because clubs wouldn't be able to honer player contracts ,so the best players would go abroad it would be like the 80s again ,but if the same happened to SL there is nowhere to go except the NRL or Union leaving clubs with no money in which to sustane the games profile, I would say it would be like the 80s except in the 80s outside maybe the 5 Nations Rugby League was the dominant code!

#71 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

If my Auntie had testicles, she would be my Uncle.
Posted Image

#72 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,520 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Simple if no other backer came in there would be mass free agency because clubs wouldn't be able to honer player contracts ,so the best players would go abroad it would be like the 80s again ,but if the same happened to SL there is nowhere to go except the NRL or Union leaving clubs with no money in which to sustane the games profile, I would say it would be like the 80s except in the 80s outside maybe the 5 Nations Rugby League was the dominant code!

You think all that would happen is a few players would move clubs or go abroad? If SKY pulled out, football would be in a real mess. A real mess. Its sailing close to the wind with all their billions.

#73 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Exactly ,in Australia Nine has always bean the main partner ,with Fox on the outside at the time this was the main reason for the superleague war and the fact they don't own the game may put them off bidding as much next time for UK superleague

no. not exactly. Sky will decide what they bid for based on things like viewers and price. The SL war is long gone yet Sky keep paying more for RL.

#74 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Same would go for football if Sky pulled out and no one else came forward

I never said it wouldnt.

#75 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Dont care as i dont want to debate about that topic.

#76 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

If sky don't bid, I'm sure an Internet company or two would buy the rights and sell subscriptions (which is the way things are headed anyway).

#77 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

If my Auntie had testicles, she would be my Uncle.

If??? ;)
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#78 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,520 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Dont care as i dont want to debate about that topic.

So what reason do you have for thinking sky are pulling out of RL?

#79 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

If sky don't bid, I'm sure an Internet company or two would buy the rights and sell subscriptions (which is the way things are headed anyway).

is it?

#80 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

So what reason do you have for thinking sky are pulling out of RL?

I dont.

I passed a comment in answer to the first post.