Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Club Challenge

When and where?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 RichardJ

RichardJ
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Simple request

Anyone got any clues as to the date and venue for the 2013 WCC?

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Simple request

Anyone got any clues as to the date and venue for the 2013 WCC?

Headingley,Saturday Feb 16.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#3 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'm there! I usually watch it on TV but I don't want to pass up the opportunity of watching Melbourne Storm live.

#4 RichardJ

RichardJ
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Thanks, much appreciated!

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,571 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Why Headingley? Surely the WCC can get more than 20l in Leeds?
Posted Image

#6 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Headingley,Saturday Feb 16.

sure you've not just guessed that? You've found out before the press it would seem - bravo! I thought the date,venue not yet decided. Here's my guess - Elland Road, Friday Feb 15th. Or might be Headingley, it was this year after all but then again they didnt have a new pitch to stress about bedding in. It might even be in Australia

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

sure you've not just guessed that? You've found out before the press it would seem - bravo! I thought the date,venue not yet decided. Here's my guess - Elland Road, Friday Feb 15th. Or might be Headingley, it was this year after all but then again they didnt have a new pitch to stress about bedding in. It might even be in Australia

only what I've heard from people connected with the club.
First game on the new pitch is on Boxing day,Danny McGuire's testimonial game on Jan 20,no doubt a few union games too.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 06 November 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#8 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Leeds were looking to go to play this in Aus last i heard and were even looking to taking it to Dubai

#9 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

gary hetherington is indeed saying it will be held at headingley .

ok so the ground does not hold as many as elland road but the revenue streams are better for leeds at headingley than at elland road with all the profits from the corperate going to the rhinos rather than leeds utd
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#10 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

gary hetherington is indeed saying it will be held at headingley .

ok so the ground does not hold as many as elland road but the revenue streams are better for leeds at headingley than at elland road with all the profits from the corperate going to the rhinos rather than leeds utd

Thats what they said this year, the match generated far more money this year at Headingley than in previous years at Elland Road.

The whole experience was better at Headingley too, it was a far more special night. And to be able to see Melbourne play on our home turf is going to be awesome!

Ive also heard that its the 16th Feb from an Aussie Journalist on twitter.

#11 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

I think they may have put it on twitter or something. I've definitely heard the same, and I don't know anyone at the club

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#12 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

only what I've heard from people connected with the club.
First game on the new pitch is on Boxing day,Danny McGuire's testimonial game on Jan 20,no doubt a few union games too.

ah yes, I was forgetting there was some other sport played there. I've been hearing rumours that there's a different type of rugby but I havent held much truck with them to be honest

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,089 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

Friday Feb 22 at Headingley.
http://www.rleague.c...le.php?id=46071

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 16 November 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,790 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Leeds were looking to go to play this in Aus last i heard and were even looking to taking it to Dubai

Every bleedin' year, 'possibly' in Australia, or 'maybe' some new territory.

Every bleedin' year, actually played in England.

Gives the Aussies an excuse if they get beaten, I suppose.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Should always be neutral venue. It makes a mockery of the integrity of the competition.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#16 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,571 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

The fact that this is played at Headingley (or anyone's hone ground) devalues this competition, as well as it always being in England.

Why can't an effort be made for what has proven to be a very popular concept? Is it because the Aussies are involved?!
Posted Image

#17 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

I dont understand the whole "should be a neutral ground or its a mockery" angle. Was it a mockery and damaging to the integrity of the competition when Wigan beat Manly at Central Park in front of 36,000 people, or when Wigan beat Brisbane in Brisbane in front of 54,000 people?!

If the aussies wanted to host the match then it should alternate between here and Australia, regardless of the teams involved, and should be at the home ground of the "home" team where possible.

Most of the games played on neutral venues were done so as the home ground of the SL team would be unsuitable for a game at the start of the year as they couldnt guarantee the fixture, or perhaps demand would outstrip supply such as Leeds getting 37,000 at Elland Road in 2005.

Anyone who was at Headingley this year will no doubt testify that it was one of the most special nights Headingley has seen.

#18 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

How about the competition being over 2 legs and aggregate scores taken into consideration!

Leeds could tour Australia early January and play Storms home leg then, back to England for pre season and complete the 2nd leg on date decided!

Just a thought!!!

#19 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

The fact that this is played at Headingley (or anyone's hone ground) devalues this competition, as well as it always being in England.

Why can't an effort be made for what has proven to be a very popular concept? Is it because the Aussies are involved?!

So Hull FC win the Super League, would you choose a 50,000 seater stadium in Dubai with 2,000 watching who probably don't even know what there watching, or KC Stadium packed out???????

#20 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

In front of 100000 at the Sydney stadium watching any Superleague side beat the Aussie club.

I don't care who it is playing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users