TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

World Club Challenge

When and where?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#21 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

I dont understand the whole "should be a neutral ground or its a mockery" angle. Was it a mockery and damaging to the integrity of the competition when Wigan beat Manly at Central Park in front of 36,000 people, or when Wigan beat Brisbane in Brisbane in front of 54,000 people?!

If the aussies wanted to host the match then it should alternate between here and Australia, regardless of the teams involved, and should be at the home ground of the "home" team where possible.

Most of the games played on neutral venues were done so as the home ground of the SL team would be unsuitable for a game at the start of the year as they couldnt guarantee the fixture, or perhaps demand would outstrip supply such as Leeds getting 37,000 at Elland Road in 2005.

Anyone who was at Headingley this year will no doubt testify that it was one of the most special nights Headingley has seen.

We have had the quiet period since the GF now its normal service.Envy is served up in blue and amber
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#22 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

We have had the quiet period since the GF now its normal service.Envy is served up in blue and amber

It just doesnt make sense to me.

If its at a neutral venue in either UK or Aus then its still favouritism towards the team from that country, plus you will reduce the number of home supporters that may attend the match.

If its in a neutral country then the majority of both sets of fans would probably not get to go to the game. I know i couldnt afford a trip to Dubai, South Africa or Vegas etc. Which would make it far more of an exibition game as most of the crowd may not even be familiar with the sport, and who knows what the crowd may be.

So finally, the best option in my book would be for the games to alternate between here and Australia, with the home team playing at their home ground, which should result in bigger attendances, better partisan atmosphere, no rental costs for hiring a neutral venue, less travelling costs overall and generally a much better event.

Until the Aussies show they want to host this match, it will likely remain played in the UK. Wigan also played at home against St George in 2011 in front of a packed ground, obviously the result went the wrong way but the atmosphere and the event came across brilliantly on Sky.

#23 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

I would call Elland Road neutral and Leeds have played there 3 times.Gary Hetherington has intimated several times that Leeds would be willing to play the game in Oz.He even said it recently.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#24 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

It just doesnt make sense to me.

If its at a neutral venue in either UK or Aus then its still favouritism towards the team from that country, plus you will reduce the number of home supporters that may attend the match.

If its in a neutral country then the majority of both sets of fans would probably not get to go to the game. I know i couldnt afford a trip to Dubai, South Africa or Vegas etc. Which would make it far more of an exibition game as most of the crowd may not even be familiar with the sport, and who knows what the crowd may be.

So finally, the best option in my book would be for the games to alternate between here and Australia, with the home team playing at their home ground, which should result in bigger attendances, better partisan atmosphere, no rental costs for hiring a neutral venue, less travelling costs overall and generally a much better event.

Until the Aussies show they want to host this match, it will likely remain played in the UK. Wigan also played at home against St George in 2011 in front of a packed ground, obviously the result went the wrong way but the atmosphere and the event came across brilliantly on Sky.

Think you've hit the nail on the head!!!

I think as long as it keeps attracting big crowds in England I can't see it hosted in Aus. It's always a fantastic atmosphere and I think Headingley last year was something special and better than Elland Road, game in Feb against Storm will be no different can't wait!

Still think 2 games home and away would solve the fairness argument.

#25 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,080 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

So Hull FC win the Super League, would you choose a 50,000 seater stadium in Dubai with 2,000 watching who probably don't even know what there watching, or KC Stadium packed out???????

You do realise that there is not only more choice than that, but also there'd be more than 2,000 anyway so there's no point answering your question?

I'd like the WCC venue to be announced a year in advance, like all other major finals are. That means community clubs could add it to their list of events they could go to as a neutral (if it is in this country) or people could plan to save up and travel. Makes perfect sense really.
Posted Image

#26 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

You do realise that there is not only more choice than that, but also there'd be more than 2,000 anyway so there's no point answering your question?

I'd like the WCC venue to be announced a year in advance, like all other major finals are. That means community clubs could add it to their list of events they could go to as a neutral (if it is in this country) or people could plan to save up and travel. Makes perfect sense really.

Makes no sense, we are in the middle of a crippling recession, how many Hull or other SL teams fans would follow there side to Dubai, Aus, NZ? Not many that is a fact. If you just look at away attendances at Catalans it's a hand full at best and thats only the south of France.

So NO neutrals would be bothered to save £2000 + for a trip to Australia to watch a team they don't support.

What would your guess be at the attendance then if it was held in Dubai if it's more than 2,000? :huh:

#27 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Playing at Leeds is only part of the advantage for the English Club.

How about playing the Storm in Melbourne in May when they have their Bye and the NRL has been going for several weeks?

All of the so called "offers" from Leeds to play the game in Oz? where are the formal, serious offers and what dates are Leeds offering to play these mythical offers?
All I have ever seen is a bit of gobbing off, hardly a sit down offer to play in Australia.

The WCC is a SL vehicle played in England at the time that suits the English team and is closely followed by English fans and is used as a false yardstick as a confidence builder.

When the Aussies Clubs have won this game it barely gets a mention in Australia as its an EXHIBITION match.

#28 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

How about playing the Storm in Melbourne in May when they have their Bye and the NRL has been going for several weeks?

All of the so called "offers" from Leeds to play the game in Oz? where are the formal, serious offers and what dates are Leeds offering to play these mythical offers?
All I have ever seen is a bit of gobbing off, hardly a sit down offer to play in Australia.

The WCC is a SL vehicle played in England at the time that suits the English team and is closely followed by English fans and is used as a false yardstick as a confidence builder.

When the Aussies Clubs have won this game it barely gets a mention in Australia as its an EXHIBITION match.

leeds offer to manly for the last game was you name the date and venue and we will be there subject to rfl approval . now how much more flexiable do you want them to be.
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#29 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

woops i think he forgot the 30,000 away support hull take to every game

as for the plan and save up thats ok if you have the money but with a chalenge cup final and of course the semi plus the grand final to attend every year its a strain on the pockets of many leeds fans :D :D :D
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#30 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

leeds offer to manly for the last game was you name the date and venue and we will be there subject to rfl approval . now how much more flexiable do you want them to be.

That's a load of rubbish. Junk talk, chest beating ###### for the media, straight after a Grand Final
If Leeds were serious they would sit down with the Australian Club and discuss it.
If the Storm said Melbourne mid May do you think Leeds would be there? of course not. the big subject to rfl approval is the get out of Gaol card isn't it.

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,520 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

That's because they never win.

#32 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

That's because they never win.

Well they have won 3 from the last 4 so I don't know how you work that out.

Maybe if the English Club played in Australia before their season starts and the NRL was 4-5 weeks under way we would see how many English Clubs would win? certainly not a Club that came fifth in its domestic comp.

#33 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Leeds best Club team in the World?
Played 27, won 16, lost 11, Points F/A +161
:lol:

Pretty low benchmark

#34 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,520 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Well they have won 3 from the last 4 so I don't know how you work that out.

Maybe if the English Club played in Australia before their season starts and the NRL was 4-5 weeks under way we would see how many English Clubs would win? certainly not a Club that came fifth in its domestic comp.

I thought you said it didn't count? So what does it prove if they have won 3 out of 4.

As for not playing in Aus, they are scared of losing, hence all the excuses. :)

#35 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

beat me to it,cheers

That's a load of rubbish. Junk talk, chest beating ###### for the media, straight after a Grand Final
If Leeds were serious they would sit down with the Australian Club and discuss it.
If the Storm said Melbourne mid May do you think Leeds would be there? of course not. the big subject to rfl approval is the get out of Gaol card isn't it.

how more serious can you get?The sleave makes the offer most year's to play any where.He has also saId he wants it not just to be WCC between the two champion sides but he wants it to expand .

Leeds best Club team in the World?
Played 27, won 16, lost 11, Points F/A +161
:lol:

Pretty low benchmark

Ah then thats the whole point of posting on this thread,ENVY
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#36 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

I thought you said it didn't count? So what does it prove if they have won 3 out of 4.

As for not playing in Aus, they are scared of losing, hence all the excuses. :)

Where did I say it didn't count?

I said it is an exhibition match, that is all it is, a pre season friendly.
Why would Oz clubs be scared of losing? if you lose you lose that's Sport isn't it?

#37 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

beat me to it,cheers
how more serious can you get?The sleave makes the offer most year's to play any where.He has also saId he wants it not just to be WCC between the two champion sides but he wants it to expand .
Ah then thats the whole point of posting on this thread,ENVY

Envy? what does that mean in this context?
Leeds would not make the Finals if they were in the NRL.
You think Delaney is a decent player FFS.

Edited by AndyCapp, 16 November 2012 - 11:40 PM.

#38 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Just a quick search..

from 2007

World Club Challenge needs fixing, Craig Bellamy says

The newly appointed New South Wales State-of-Origin coach wants the competitions brought into line so the Challenge can be staged a fortnight after the respective grand finals -- rather than the next year.

"I'd like to see the concept of it changed a bit," Bellamy said.

"The Australian side is always travelling. We're playing in the cold and I think they've got four competition games up before we get over there.

"It's all slanted one-way.

http://www.heraldsun...o-1111114924580

Last year

Why Manly Wanted To Host The World Club Challenge

“The fact is that over there, we’d play in front of 25,000, 30,000 (people),” Penn tells Forty20. “If we play it here, we get 80,000, it’s a massive difference. The prizemoney is terrible. That’s got to change. The prizemoney for this (premiership) as well. The prizemoney for all of rugby league, considering how hard you have to work to get there, has got to chance. And I’m sure it will as more money comes in.

“I think it would terrific if we could play it here. We’d get three times the crowd, hopefully three times the money. Surely that’s in everyone’s interests.”

http://stevemascord....club-challenge/

#39 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,520 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

So, in conclusion, the Aussies are scared to stage the game because their clubs aren't good enough.

Case closed.

#40 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,520 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

To be serious for a minute, what is ridiculous about this is that Melbourne Storm are one of the finest football sides of any code in the world -bar none- and the game is played at Headingley. That's not a pop at Headingley, more a reflection on the strange state of affairs in the sporting world.

If there was any justice, this game would be held at Wembley - and sold out twice.