TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

World Club Challenge

When and where?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#41 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Makes no sense, we are in the middle of a crippling recession, how many Hull or other SL teams fans would follow there side to Dubai, Aus, NZ? Not many that is a fact. If you just look at away attendances at Catalans it's a hand full at best and thats only the south of France.

You're comparing an away trip to Catalans to the WCC? Really?

So NO neutrals would be bothered to save £2000 + for a trip to Australia to watch a team they don't support.

What would your guess be at the attendance then if it was held in Dubai if it's more than 2,000? :huh:

There's no benchmark for a game in Dubai to compare, so I aren't going to put a number on it. I aren't going to be a pessimist and do down the sport so I can somehow gloat if it does fail.

If the game was held in Aus and announced early, people could save up and go. Whether they be from Aus, England or wherever, they could save up.
Posted Image

#42 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

In my opinion the game should be played somehwere between the UK and Australia. Dubai, Singapore, Hong kong, etc. Places with large expats communites and where we can chase the corparate Dollar.

#43 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

Envy? what does that mean in this context?
Leeds would not make the Finals if they were in the NRL.
You think Delaney is a decent player FFS.

Envy? what does that mean in this context?
Leeds would not make the Finals if they were in the NRL.
You think Delaney is a decent player FFS.

nobody is claiming they would,but this game is the WORLD CLUB CHALLENGE.An annual game between the champions of the SL versus the champions of the NRL. Now this thread was about this fixture and why its being played at Headingley and not somewhere else.Now its over a month since the grand final and it appears that you have used this thread to show your displeasure at Leeds being SL champions once again.
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#44 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

nobody is claiming they would,but this game is the WORLD CLUB CHALLENGE.An annual game between the champions of the SL versus the champions of the NRL. Now this thread was about this fixture and why its being played at Headingley and not somewhere else.Now its over a month since the grand final and it appears that you have used this thread to show your displeasure at Leeds being SL champions once again.

Have you been drinking?
Where have I shown my displeasure at Leeds being Champions previously?
I could not care less if Leeds are champions.
I do not think they were the best team in SL by any stretch of the imagination, they were very average and I doubt they will be up there next season but the fact they won when they had to makes them the winners, no arguing that.

#45 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

Have you been drinking?
Where have I shown my displeasure at Leeds being Champions previously?
I could not care less if Leeds are champions.
I do not think they were the best team in SL by any stretch of the imagination, they were very average and I doubt they will be up there next season but the fact they won when they had to makes them the winners, no arguing that.

yes but this thread is not about wether leeds are the best ,the best,or average.So why switch it from where the WCC game is taking place.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#46 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

Surely the aim should not be for Leeds RL to maximise revenues, but rather reach to a wider market? Its not a Leeds home game afterall

Playing the game at Headingly or even in England is a joke. Why not in an RL heartland on true neutral soil -e.g. Carcasonne? Would prob get a full house. Playing in Dubai or Hong Kong also needs serious thought even though the crows would be smaller

#47 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 827 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

What difference does the size of the local wildlife make?
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#48 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

should be held here one year & australia the next........plain and simple

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#49 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

If there was any justice, this game would be held at Wembley - and sold out twice.

If its going to be held in North of Eng then I think it may as well be at the home ground. However, I like the Wembley idea, big venue gives prestige, would attract fans from South, give a big event at start of season for North fans to get behind, could attract ex-pats in London, good for media coverage. Not sure it would sell out twice but reckon at start it may push 40k and fill bottom tier like last Eng v Aus match. Would then build year on year as an event as GF did.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#50 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

a idea i've come up with is this

we start the "world RL season" with a RUGBY LEAGUE CARNIVAL/JAMBOREE.....held over a weekend either on the gold coast or sydney...and at the millennium stadium,under the roof,when held here..

on the friday night we'd have the World club challenge

and on saturday & sunday we'd have the World 7's or 9's for International teams only

kick the season off with a bang.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#51 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

From reading all the comments I'm more convinced about Wembley as a venue but I still think it needs to be at the clubs home grounds in either England or Australia.

The WCC doesn't have the x factor like the Challenge Cup Final has (yet anyway) and I would fear for the game to be overshadowed by poor attendance and atmosphere!

Okay there would probably be more at Wembley than the 20k in Headingley but as a whole the game would come over alot better on home soil than a neutral venue.

I don't have a problem with switching between Eng/Aus each time because it makes the competition as fair as possible, would just be gutted because wouldn't be able to finance a trip to Aus!

Edited by Leeds17, 18 November 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#52 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

and on saturday & sunday we'd have the World 7's or 9's for international teams

Now that is also a good idea! I'd love the World 7's to come back. That would be a much better use of our Magic Weekend!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#53 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

It's down to money as usual. Sky provide a chunk of money to underwrite the even. The best solution is clearly her one year, Oz the next, but until the Aussies commit to that and sign up for it with a TV deal in place it won't happen.

The Manly article of 80,000 was just tosh.

If you could get such a big crowd and make big money, why on earth would a club like Leeds say no to a couple of weeks warm weather training in Oz, followed by a prestige game in front of 80,000?

They wouldn't. Much as it pains me to say it, Leeds are a smart club, and they know that the long-term benefits of that would be massive to their club, rather than a match at Headingley.

Truth is, it's always too late from the Aussies, and is just paper talk.

Sign a joint 4 year TV deal with the RFL now, and get contracts in place that commits whoever are the winners over the next few years. I bet the SL clubs would sign up at once, doubt the Aussies will.

#54 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

It's down to money as usual. Sky provide a chunk of money to underwrite the even. The best solution is clearly her one year, Oz the next, but until the Aussies commit to that and sign up for it with a TV deal in place it won't happen.

The Manly article of 80,000 was just tosh.

If you could get such a big crowd and make big money, why on earth would a club like Leeds say no to a couple of weeks warm weather training in Oz, followed by a prestige game in front of 80,000?

They wouldn't. Much as it pains me to say it, Leeds are a smart club, and they know that the long-term benefits of that would be massive to their club, rather than a match at Headingley.

Truth is, it's always too late from the Aussies, and is just paper talk.

Sign a joint 4 year TV deal with the RFL now, and get contracts in place that commits whoever are the winners over the next few years. I bet the SL clubs would sign up at once, doubt the Aussies will.

No,
The Tosh is that Leeds will travel to Australia in May to play the Storm, the equivalent of what the Aussie clubs do now.
The facts are the English Clubs need this game and have it on a Pedestal.
The Aussie Clubs think its a pre season ###### up where a win would be handy but whatever, its not a serious game as its always in England at a time to suit the English Club weeks before the NRL starts.
Its not complicated.

The NRL IS the elite competition, does it crave games against SL Clubs? do the NRL fans know, care or rate SL Clubs?

Edited by AndyCapp, 18 November 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#55 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

So if Leeds were to get a couple of weeks warm weather training before the game, it would presumably have to be before the SL season starts, which would be January. The NRL clubs dont even start playing pre season games til February, so they wouldn't agree to a match that early. Unless you're suggesting that Leeds take a few weeks out of SL just to prepare for the WCC? The only other way is to play the game as now without a couple of weeks 'warm weather training', but would Leeds really be happy to play a SL match on Friday, fly down under and play a WCC game in Oz the following weekend?

Until a clear gap in the fixtures on both sides of the world can be found, we'll have the WCC in this country annually with the NRL clubs treating it as a glorified trial game.

#56 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

2005 after their best season for many years Leeds elected to play at Elland road because of the demand to see Leeds play in the WCC,and there was over 37000,2008 there was 33k,the next one 32000,then it was 27k.I think the nuetral fans got a bit blase seeing Leeds play in this game most years.So maybe GH thought we could fill Headingley and make more money than 27000 at ER
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#57 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,079 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

2005 after their best season for many years Leeds elected to play at Elland road because of the demand to see Leeds play in the WCC,and there was over 37000,2008 there was 33k,the next one 32000,then it was 27k.I think the nuetral fans got a bit blase seeing Leeds play in this game most years.So maybe GH thought we could fill Headingley and make more money than 27000 at ER

That's the thing though. It shouldn't be his choice where it's played. It should be a joint decision between the RFL and the ARL or really the RLIF. It should also be announced where it is a lot earlier so they can build up the event all year round like they do the GF and CCF.
Posted Image

#58 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,519 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Er, I wasn't realistically claiming it should be held at Wembley. Only stating that in an ideal world, the demand to see such a phenomenal side would warrant it.

#59 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

That's the thing though. It shouldn't be his choice where it's played. It should be a joint decision between the RFL and the ARL or really the RLIF. It should also be announced where it is a lot earlier so they can build up the event all year round like they do the GF and CCF.

Yes I agree.I was just saying maybe thats the reasons to why he has reverted back to Headingley.I think it should be promoted like they are doing with the RLWC right now,build it up make it bigger,AND get the Aussies to really get on board with it too.I agree with you
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#60 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

Maybe if the English Club played in Australia before their season starts and the NRL was 4-5 weeks under way we would see how many English Clubs would win? certainly not a Club that came fifth in its domestic comp.

Impossible, the NRL clubs barely play any games so their season starts after ours
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board